1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GPU-Z 0.6.5 Locks System up

Discussion in 'GPU-Z' started by Black_Lion, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Black_Lion New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi everyone.
    I have to report this bug, because it's, well, a very annoying and problematic bug. Most of the times (Like, 8 in 10 GPU-Z openings), when i open GPU-Z 0.6.5, my system will freeze the screens, and then both of them shut down. My downloads keep downloading, my MSN stays online, my music keeps playing, but i can't do anything to get the screens back on, i have to Reset the system because even the power off button does nothing...

Here is my full system specs:

i7 2600K
    8GB DDR3 1600 MHz CL7 GSKill
    ASRock Z77 Extreme6 Bios 2.1
    Corsair AX 850W
    ASUS ATI HD5870 1GB
    Windows 7 x64 SP1

This problem does not happen with GPU-Z 0.6.4 at all. Since the update, this keeps happening, i was already cursing my luck thinking it was my card dying, but then i noticed the crash ALWAYS happens when i open GPU-Z, reverted back to 0.6.4, and everything is normal again, i can open GPU-Z as many times as i want without any system lockup.

Is there any way to make GPU-Z Stop asking to update, while this bug is being tracked down?

Thank you for your time.
  2. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
  3. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for contacting me.

The problem was related to the High Performance Event Timer (HPET).

When it was not counting, 0.6.4 just left it alone, 0.6.5 tried to enable it which causes a crash on your system (and works fine on all others I've seen so far)

Next public release will revert to the old "if it's not working, leave it alone"

Fixed build here: http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2748307#post2748307
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
    Black_Lion says thanks.
  4. Black_Lion New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi! I Already thank you via MSN but, thank you again for the quick Fix, everything works fine now.