1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GPU-Z and multiple GPU's

Discussion in 'GPU-Z' started by [Daniel], Mar 30, 2009.

1. [Daniel] New Member

Thanks Received:
    Greetings. New GPU-Z user here. I have version 0.3.3 running right now on my i7 rig.

Here's some background leading into my question... I bought a GTX260 Core216 (65nm) back in December. Recently, GTX260's have been dropping in price. In my area, only the non-Core216's were going on sale... so I decided to not "wait and see" and bought a GTX260 (192 Core) to enter the SLI arena with.

But I noticed when I opened the nVidia Control Panel and ran the System Info tool... both cards were reported as Core216 models... I felt like I'd won the lottery for a moment, then questioned how "valid" the reading was. I had heard stories about people receiving the Core216 when they had ordered a vanilla (192), so it was possible.

So I downloaded GPU-Z as a "second opinion", and it reports them the same... almost "too identical" tho... there is not one character anywhere that I can tell the difference between the 2 cards on the main "info" page.

I know I can pull my old card out and try take the readings of just the new on, but I am hoping to avoid that. If GPU-Z "talks" to each card individually, I think I'd happy camper.

So, can I trust this reading? Did GPU-Z query each card independently? Or did it pull information from the "nVidia SysInfo Tool", which may or may not be correct.

Thanks in advance!

Daniel

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  2. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    Normally if you are running a 216 with a 192, SLI causes both to run as 192SP GTX 260's.

Disable SLI, then see what GPU-Z says between the two.

EDIT: Just seen in GPU-Z SLi is disabled.

Looks like you got lucky and got another 216Sp! :toast:
  3. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    gpu-z reads from the gpu directly. make sure sli is off. if both are still 216 sp run some benchmarks on one card and then on the other (have just 1 card in the system to be sure)
  4. [Daniel] New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ah, you beat me to my edit ;)

Whether I have SLI enabled or disabled, the same information is presented. In the attached scheenshot I added to the original post, you can see SLI is disabled.
  5. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    As w1zz says try some BM's, but to me it looks like you got another 216SP sitting there! :D
  6. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Could it be an issue with XP 64?

Anyway, I would do a driver wipe with DriverSweeper, then re-install the drivers. See what it says after that. If it is still the same, I would test with just the new card in the machine.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  7. [Daniel] New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmm, I never noticed if benchmarks allowed me to point to a specific card... I'll have to check that out.

That is what I did right before adding the new card...
    • uninstalled driver
    • booted into safe mode
    • ran driver sweeper
    • powered off
    • added new card
    • added SLI bridge
    • powered on
    • loaded driver
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  8. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    They don't, once you disable SLi, the benchmarks/games will use whichever card the monitor is plugged into.

I would just pull the old card out of the machine and get the readings on the new card alone.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  9. [Daniel] New Member

Thanks Received:
    I do run multiple monitors. I didn't like how the nVidia driver would occasionally incorrectly handle which was the primary monitor when going in/out of SLI... more times than not, my 19" CRT would get the nod, and that was just plain wrong.

So I moved the 19" to the second (new) video card. What this also allowed me to do was run CUDA GPU-folding instances (one per card) when not in SLI.

So it's too bad the bench tools don't check/ask... I would be ready for it ;)