1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GPU-Z App for iPhone?

Discussion in 'GPU-Z' started by W1zzard, Feb 7, 2011.

1. xbonez New Member

Thanks Received:
    Honestly, if it works only over LAN, I wouldn't be too interested, because if my phone is connected to my local network. it means I'm in my apartment and could just walk over to check or VNC in (VNC is fairly fast and responsive over LAN).

If you could get it to work over the internet, then I see some point to it. I can monitor my temps etc, and over 3G VNC can be a little slow.

Of course, there would be port forwarding issues for those behind routers, but I trust that those who are interested and monitor GPU temps remotely via their phone would definitely not have any issues forwarding a port.

2. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

pantherx12 and Completely Bonkers say thanks.
  3. garyinhere

garyinhere

Thanks Received:
    what about an oc tool for the gpu... like something you can tweak/adjust while benching?

4. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Overclock the GPU remotely while benhing? Now that would be pretty darn cool.

5. garyinhere

garyinhere

Thanks Received:
    I'd also be willing to beta test this if wiz sends me an iphone... at&t or verizon i don't care;)

6. Completely Bonkers New Member

Thanks Received:
    W1z. I was thinking about asking you to create an "index" ... and I think now is the time.

The "consumer" needs a simple benchmark to compare the performance of cards. If you will publish the GPUZ database on the iphone, we also need a comparative of relative performance. Said user doesnt want to read a long review and hundreds of benchmarks at hundreds of resolutions.

We need something like:

Card A: 1.0x
    Card B: 2.3x
    Card C: 0.6x

OK, so "which" benchmark would you use to create this? I think you need to bite the bullet and make a statement about the "TPU Standard Build 2011". Note this is a standard not enthusiast extreme build as the benchmark GPU.

E.g.

ATI 5770 or GTX260 at stock
    average of (COD4, HAWK, Unigine 2.0) at 1920x1200 4xAA. I chose three very different benchs just to keep it simple.
    index everything so that = 1.0x on this setup

and hold this true for the whole year, all cards.

The user can now use the GPUZ database, read the specs, and then get a rough-overview of relative performance when comparing cards.

Yes, it isnt perfect. But it would be mighty useful. For the *full* picture, we would come to your detailed reviews. The GPUZ iPhone app could even LINK to the most appropriate review.

*Note, although the GPU is a "standard", I agree you should the best most OC'd dual socket CPU workstation you can get to try to abstract the CPU from the GPU relative performance.

7. JATownes

JATownes

Thanks Received:
    This is cool, but to be honest I really wouldn't have a need for it.

I know this is off topic, but...Any chance of getting a mobile app for the TPU forums?

8. 1nf3rn0x

1nf3rn0x

Thanks Received:
    Thread res.

I'd totally buy it, include a mobile data base of gpu's and bang! deal.

9. exodusprime1337

exodusprime1337

Thanks Received:
    this would be nice.. i currently just set a port forward for a non standard rdp port and view using the iphone rdp app so i can see my desktop and thus gpuz and any other temps i'm interested in. this app could be cool, i just couldn't see paying a lot for it given the easy alternatives out there.

10. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    Not to be a negative nancy but I see 0 use for this... and the remote database idea is free by using ur phones web browser to google...

11. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    Make a GPUtool for oc'ing the iPhone :p

Seriously, a GPU database would be awesome, i'd buy that.
    And I can see the use of remote temperature monitoring. You're gaming, benching etc and your iPhone (make it work on the iPod touch, too pls) acts as a secondary monitor so to speak. That would be very useful actually.

But in just having GPU-Z remote accessing your PC I dunno. Unless you want to check on your PC while at work or on the train like a Tamagotchi.

12. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    This. I honestly just see no purpose for this. If I cant use it while not at my own network then it serves no purpose. I dont see a purpose as for why you would need an app like this anyway. Dont get me wrong im not trying to be a douchebag here, but I dont see a real world use for it. Most GPU's arent going to overheat if its sitting idle and many ppl might have their computers off while not at home.

13. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    you will be able to use it remotely via internet, even if both devices are behind routers.

and i asked for your opinions in this thread, no need to sugar coat anything

14. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Well even then, im not sure what use other than monitoring temps (for w/e reason) there would be to have such an app.

And personally, when it comes to apps, if I cant get it for free I dont want it.

15. Completely Bonkers New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think this is a great little app. I dont have an iphone, but having an "extra screen" showing realtime (ish) updates of the GPU working when gaming or benching is a neat tool.

Once it is built, i'm sure w1z will have plug-ins showing folding stats etc.

And with encouragement, no reason not to have CPU temps there too. Nice.

16. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    Personally an app of every card out there so a quick comparison would be so much better. Even if that was for the PC. If the file size gets too big, then two version can be released. One that just gives information about your card, then another with the other information. Hell you could (COULD) have a "this card will give you ??% increase/decrease over your current card based on TPU reviews which can be read here" generating more traffic to the site/reviews.

17. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    When this is out I may look into porting it to windows mobile if that's cool.

According to some random dude on xda-developers. Coding mobile apps isn't as hard as it seems.
    ( simple ones anyways) so thought I might take it up as a hobby.

No promises though, depends how hard it is when I start XD