1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GPU-Z does not show memory usage

Discussion in 'GPU-Z' started by mmd1990, Apr 23, 2013.

1. mmd1990 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello,

I have recently run into a strange problem with GPU-Z and HD 4850 with Windows Vista. It seems that on the sensors tab the Memory usage tab is missing. I have tested on the same system with Win 7 and there the Memory usage tab is shown. I have to do a log of memory usage for an app on Vista and i could use some help. I tried fresh install same thing. I tried other system with vista and same issue. Tries on a different system with vista and nvidia gpu and memory shows.

Edit:
    as I found out from an older thread memory usage monitoring requires WDDM 1.1 (introduced with W7) does anyone know an app similar to gpu-z that can create a log of memory usage and gpu load would much apreciate it.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  2. Hood

Hood

Thanks Received:
    You could try an older version of GPU-Z, or perhaps the latest (v0.7.0). I have good luck on most systems using HWiNFO64 (or HWiNFO32), it shows every possible sensor, including all GPU info, and any of them can show in your system tray if you so desire. It also asks me if I want to disable certain Asus sensors that require too many resources, so it can run with a very small footprint. I have Windows 8 Pro and so far no driver issues at all, everything runs perfect, but some software has yet to be updated to Windows 8. You might consider going with 7 or 8, Vista has too many issues that never were solved.
    EDIT - HWiNFO64 also has logging of all sensors.

3. mmd1990 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I already tried with 0.7 and 0.5.9 as stated above vista is missing WDDM 1.1, and I need to test the app on Vista for a compatibility and performance test.

thank you for your feedback.

4. Hood

Hood

Thanks Received:
    Sorry, didn't see your edit 'til I refreshed. As I said HWiNFO64 works for me on XP, 7, and 8, but I never used Vista so I don't know. Also didn't know that about WDDM 1.1, thanks for the info. Good luck!

5. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    that's correct. NVIDIA drivers can also provide memory usage on older operating systems, but not on AMD as far as I know. I also don't see how any application could work around such a limitaiton.

6. Naki

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2013