1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GPU Z reporting incorrect bus speed

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Yarmy, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Yarmy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Short version:
    GPU Z.0.4.0 is reporting my bus as "PCI" when my system supports PCI-Express x16. It's my understanding that power management progs can throttle back PCI settings, but is this the case? How can I force my bus to max speed? Any other ideas why GPU Z is reporting my bus incorrectly?

Long version:
    Howdy folks, been having an interesting problem for a while now and was hoping yall could help me out.

I am currently running a Dell E1705 with an Intel 945GM Chipset and integrated video card.

I have been having constant performance issues for the past several months, mostly manifested while playing World of Warcraft. Several months ago I was able to play just fine with 20-30 fps constant. However, as of late I am only getting 6 fps in the good times.

I have done everything imaginable to try to solve this issue including:
    -Updated all drivers
    -Updated Windows XP
    -Removed all services and active programs
    -Tweaked WoW setting, config.wtf, removed Addons, ran in 16-bit mode, low res
    -Defragged
    -Scanned for virus
    -Scanned for spyware/malware
    -Ran reg cleaner
    -Verified page file size was appropriate
    -Verified Intel SpeedStep was maxed through Power Options, and verified using 3rd party progs
    -Forced fans to high speed and verified temps were appropriate
    -Flashed Bios to latest version

Cuurent mood: :banghead:

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2010
  2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Did you check under the "power options" in windows to see if PCI-E Link state power management is enabled/disabled? So do you have a dedicated video card or integrated in the chipset? The 945GM chipset/graphics are just slow.

3. Yarmy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the reply erocker. Where can I find the option to set the e link state? In Windows XP I don't seem to have the ability to do that in the Power Options Properties window in the Control Panel.

Yes, it is an integrated video card. Not something I'm proud of, but I've seen some good FPS with it before. I hate to give the classic: "it worked before!!" response...but it did. Something has bottlenecked the heck out of my system.

4. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm sorry It's been a while since I used XP. If I remember correctly... Go to where you set your screen saver. Go to something like "set power options" from there. Then I think you have to click something like "advanced" and it should be in there. Someone will know better than me hopefully. :toast:

5. Yarmy New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah unfortunately, the power options are the same whether you access them via screen saver of control panel. No option available there for adjusting the e link state. still no luck :(

6. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    you are talking about the i945 graphics device or do you have an additional graphics card installed?

7. Yarmy New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm pretty sure it's the built in card (I have never added a card to it) although I have not seen it referred to as i945.

Display Properties says the following:

Adapter Type:
    Mobile Intel 945GM Express Chipset Family

Adapter Information:
    Chip Type: Intel GMA 950
    DAC Type: Internal
    Memory Size: 224MB
    Adapter String: Mobile Intel 945GM/GU Express Chipset Family
    Bios Information: Intel Video Bios

8. Yarmy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, turns out that even though the Inspiron E1705 laptop supports PCI-E x16, the built-in video card only runs on PCI (go figure). You have to get the upgraded VC option when you buy the laptop to take advantage of the PCI-E bus.

In addition, for some reason the laptop is no longer recognizing the power supply as adequate, which forces the CPU into a low power state.

I have since junked that laptop and moved to a better one. Thanks for the ideas guys, back to the game!