1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gran Turismo 5 Demo: Your Verdict

Discussion in 'Games' started by HookeyStreet, Dec 18, 2009.

1. HookeyStreet

HookeyStreet Eat, sleep, game!

Thanks Received:
    Who else agrees with me in saying "Im not impressed!" ?

I know you cant really judge a finished product on a very small demo, but FFS, they been developing this game for years and I dont think it looks as impressive as Forza 3 (and thats not a 360 fanboy talking because I own both consoles and would love GT5 to rock)

2. zithe

zithe

Thanks Received:
    I've only played the games because they were pretty. I've never been fond of their gameplay. I played the same map in GT2 when I was little over and over until I bought every upgrade for the Viper and painted it blue. XD

In an effort to play realistically, they just become annoying.

3. Sensi Karate

Sensi Karate New Member

Thanks Received:
    Don't judge a game by its demo... or was it don't judge a book by its cover?

4. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
    The full version will probably just have more cars and tracks and such. Personally I like them, just don't have a good place to set up my wheel so that's slowing me from playing it right now.

5. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    huh its out just now? is it really that bad?

my estimate is that it suffers like the psp game, although the psp game is the best racer on a handheld (its not got any competition tho so no wonder)

6. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    U say this like uve yet to play because u cant use the wheel... i think its best to reserve judgment until you play the game.. unless blind fanboyism is ur thing

7. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    im gonna try it out now as my pc is annoying the shit outta me:banghead:

8. HookeyStreet

Thanks Received:
    Like I said, IM not a fanboy for either console. But its really disappointing to think that a lot of people have waited ages for this game and it doesnt look like its going to be everything we hoped for.

The gameplay on the finished game may be better than whats displayed in the demo, but the visuals are nothing special...........and these cant be changed at this stage of the games development!

9. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    I just tried the demo just then, it sucks ballz, big donkey ballz, graphic detail wasnt that great either, yep its a shit demo!

10. 1freedude

1freedude

Thanks Received:
    when did (does) the game come out?

11. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    Not sure, Q1 2010 I think

12. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    I dont think GT has ever disappointed me. The learning curve can be quite challenging but it is the real driving simulator :D

Demos could be based off of old builds, etc, and although some devs have put out killer demos- you can hardly use them to judge the final release.

Crunching for Team TPU
  13. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    Im not judging the real game, just the demo man, it iz shiat.

14. HookeyStreet

Thanks Received:
    2025 at this rate!

Ive got a bad feeling about this one.

15. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    :rolleyes:

I just gone done trying out 3 laps in the stock car, physics felt dead on, the car looked great, I'm not sure what your griping about. The track and the side of the track look like absolute ass cheeks, but it's pretty obvious this is a test track, GT3 on PS2 had better looking tracks than this, if you really think thats going to be in the final copy, your crazy. I'm going to be playing this like crazy, must win 370Z.

16. HookeyStreet

Thanks Received:
    I know THIS isnt the final game, but usually, demos are meant to 'wow' us (ie I just played through the PS3 demo of Dantes Inferno and Im dying to get my hands on the finished game now!). This demo has just confirmed to me that GT5 is too little too late.

This may be a test track, but visually it should look as good as one of the tracks that will end up in the finished game? Why release a demo that includes a track that has very low quality visuals? To put people off? :rolleyes:

Ive played every single GT title (apart from that crap on the PSP) so I am a GT fan, but I cant help feeling that theyve left it too late to release GT5 and its going to have a tough time competing with the likes of Forza.

Blind Sony fanboyism (if thats a word) will be THE only reason anyone is impressed with this demo!

I really really want to be wrong about GT5 because I love driving sims :(

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  17. choppy

choppy

Thanks Received:
    is the used car market coming back? i loved it in GT2 , it was like autotrader!

18. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    Well too be honest I wasnt expecting much when I saw the demo download file was only 219MB, so that kinda explains it.

1Kurgan1 says thanks.
  19. Hybrid_theory

Hybrid_theory

Thanks Received:
    This isn't a demo of Gran turismo 5. Its a time trial with the new physics for the GT academy to get their candidates. So basically you can use the following to judge the final game:

graphics
    physics

The graphics looked the same as prologue and i think they look fantastic not sure what other game out there looks significantly better. Forza 3 basically comes down to opinion. For what ive seen the cars in gt5p look better, but forza has more detail into the background.

There could be a real GT5 demo in the future to give a better understanding of the game. As this doesn't have the damage model nor upgrades.

I cant say i was impressed with the track background, but other tracks like the one they've had demoing in the various games shows has a nice background. The thing i was impressed with was the physics. They are definately improved. No worries im sure the final game will be a nicely finished product when it eventually comes out.

It's taking so long cause they started from scratch.

20. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    See here's what I'm fine with, not liking the demo, but what doesn't make any sense is you know that that track isn't a final product, and yet you seem to be placing that on saying the game will be bad when it releases? This is a contest, it maybe called a demo, but it's a promotion to show off physics accuracy. But hey if all your looking for is graphics to determine how great a DRIVING SIMULATOR is, then you might feel that Burnout is the best driving simulator around.

I would say that anyone stepping into this demo looking for stellar graphics over realistic gameplay, just isn't a true racing sim fan. If it looked amazing, but the cars handled like they were n super glue would you be happier? I just want to remind you, GT5 Prologue, the tracks didn't look like the one in the demo.

So if your unhappy with the choice of detail on the demo's track fine, but when you know that that isn't going to be so scarcely detailed when the game comes out, then you say you think it's going to be bad when it releases :laugh:

Also just to get it out of the way sense you want to call on fanboyism, but also want to step back and separate yourself from fanboys, you had a 360 design as your avatar for a long time and have posted in numerous threads favoring 360, everyone has a favorite system, who cares.

Yes, it was really only out for the Prologue, there is suppose to be 950 cars when GT5 comes out.

Exactly my point, I am going to go play some more now, on 3rd lap this morning I had already improved 10 seconds over my 1st lap, got to win!

21. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    Well I just turned a few more laps and knocked out a 1:52.976, I been cutting a constantly .5 seconds a lap, must win 370Z! What lap times have you all managed?'

22. Hybrid_theory

Hybrid_theory

Thanks Received:
    1:59.295 in the stock car. was my 2nd lap. 1st one i wiped out twice.

the tuned one is 1:46.7

Im just doing this for enjoyment. dont really care if i goto indy 500 or not. if i lived in europe tho. id love to goto a racing academy

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  23. v12dock

v12dock

Thanks Received:
    Nothing bets Gran Turismo

24. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    If they bring out a GT5 / PS3 combo pack, im so getting it :D

25. 1freedude

1freedude

Thanks Received:

So, I guess I need to play the demo, not just Prologue. I didn't know Prologue was different from the next GT5 to come out.

Can't exactly remember the names of the courses, but i raced on the mountain track in a lotus, on suzuka east (lotus and honda integra).

Does a racing sim like GP2 exsist? when i go home for christmas, i'm gonna find the disks and try to run it.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009