1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gran Turismo 5 looks like trash.

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dangle, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Dangle New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just bought GT5. The 1080 screenshots you've seen before are NOT what the game actually looks like. The jaggies are ridiculous. I'm extremely disappointed. Looks like the official screenshots all had Anti-Aliasing added afterwards.

Damn!! And I thought sony was giving me a reason to turn on my PS3.... Not to mention MGS4 beta downloading at less than 0.5kb/s

EDIT: 4:03PM Apr.24
    Obviously this game has like 2xAA or less at 1080P.

I didn't shrink any of these images because resizing in Fireworks adds Anti Aliasing.

[​IMG]

Enlarge this image, as the shrunken version looks aight.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2008
  2. wolf2009 Guest

is it possible for u to post screens ?

3. CrackerJack

CrackerJack

Thanks Received:
  4. kyle2020 Guest

please post screenshots, this is my next anticipated game on the ps3. eek!

5. Zedicus

Thanks Received:
    my guess is his ps3 is hooked up to his hdtv with standard RCA cables. im running 720P and it looks simply amazing. (over hdmi)

the downside is 40$ is a lot to pay for what amounts to a demo, GT5P that is.

6. kyle2020 Guest

yeah, that must be the problem. im running mine into a 22'' HD tv with a gold plated hdmi cable and the demo, not prologue, ran as smooth as anything, and i didnt notice any jagged lines. im hoping now thats the problem, i cant wait for 5 to come out! :banghead:

7. Zedicus

Thanks Received:
  8. naokiakira New Member

Thanks Received:
    Make sure you're playing it on a good tv >.>

I have it too. Looks amazing in 1080p on 40"

9. Dangle New Member

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

Actually, my PS3 is plugged into one of the 3 HDMI inputs on my receiver which is outputting 1080p to my 42 inch AQUOS and 7.1 speakers. I've spent a lot of money on the look and sound of perfect(;)). GT5 is anything but. I'll take a pic of my TV with my digital camera so you can see what I'm looking at.

Maybe I'm too picky about my graphics, but a lot of the terrain textures are real low res, and there are so many jaggies around objects. Looks like there isn't much AA in this game.

10. mrw1986

mrw1986

Thanks Received:
    Erm, I run it on a 40" 1080p Sony XBR2 through HDMI and it looks phenomenal...its probably your receiver, run your PS3 directly into your TV. 99% of the time to receiver will do extra processing and make the picture look horrible, especially with consoles.

11. cjoyce1980 New Member

Thanks Received:
    game still need to have damage in it.

it can't be called a "real driving sim" if there is no crash damage

Dangle says thanks.
  12. Dangle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Good call, dude. This may be possible - even though I spent a fuckload on my sony receiver.

I shouldn't have even bought this game with GTA coming out next week.

13. Zedicus

Thanks Received:
    something isnt right, on my little 720P set up there backgrounds and grass and stuff like that look as detailed as the cars. and there is jaggies around nothing. and if yur reciever is grabing the audio stream out of the hdmi input that means it has to disasemble the hdmi data, grab the audio, then reasemble it back into hdmi for the next device, so yes there would b extra stuff happening that could make it look screwed up. it prolly wouldnt be as noticeable in movies, even HD ones, because of the way the coloring works.

GTA is crap, always has been, always will be.

GT5P looks amazing, and the final GT5 will hav full crash damage, last i heard they are working on implementing it visably on the vehicles.

last time i looked into sony reciever with hdmi built in it there was some issue wich made me decide to go a different route, i dont remember what it was off hand though.

14. mrw1986

mrw1986

Thanks Received:
    While I disagree with the GTA always being crap thing, yes GT5 will have full crash damage.

15. SUPERREDDEVIL

SUPERREDDEVIL New Member

Thanks Received:
    change that PS3 for a killing computer!!!!
    :laugh: consoles are ·%$%&$% VS. Pc

16. Exceededgoku

Thanks Received:
    Sigh what did you expect...? A 7800GT to blow your mind away, yeah good one... Lol.
    Full GT5 will have crash damage, and also the graphics in the demo are not finalised although you can't expect it to be "mind blowing" or anything... People who say the graphics are amazing are people in the car industry who don't play on consoles/computers...

17. Dangle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Dude, you're looking at 1280x720. That's a helluva lot lower resolution than 1920x1080. Of course it's going to look good for you. This game on 1080P is like looking at at Painting UP close. Sorry I promise I'll post images very soon!

18. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    i actually dont care im sure youll fix it dangle i just want to see your sweet set up ....jealous

19. Whilhelm

Whilhelm New Member

Thanks Received:
    The game doesn't run in full 1080p 1920x1080p it runs at the highest 1280x1080p with 2xMSAA and upscales to 1080p. The Picture quality is probably getting lost somewhere in the upscaling process. The menus and pit garages do run in full 1080p and they may look better.

When you run it in 720p it runs at 1280x720p with 4xMSAA so that explains why there would be less jaggies in 720p mode.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
    Dangle and Exceededgoku say thanks.
  20. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    then you didnt setup your A/V properly. ive got it running on my 42" 1080p Marantz 7.1 (PS3=>HDMI)setup and it looks and sounds beautiful. by far the best racing graphics yet, IMO.

21. Dangle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for this post. By looking at the image up close, it's obvious there isn't more than 2xAA at 1080P.

Also, the Framerate seems like ~40fps.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2008
  22. VroomBang New Member

Thanks Received:
    Damage in Prologue will be available for download for free later this year and fully part of GT5 next year.

Car damage aside, cars behave very realistically. If you set the options to professional driving, with no steering assistance, no stability control and just a bit of traction control, the cars become alive. Hit a wall at high speed and you'll lose control of your car and start a few 360s. When you're in the sand, it's difficult to get out and you lose a lot of time. If you accelerate too much coming out of a bend, the car will zig zag quite a lot, especially the Ferrari F430 (I haven't tried the other 4 Ferrari's yet). Drifting quickly becomes part of the driving experience and when controlled, adds a lot of fun to it. There's a clear feeling of weight in the cars, completely absent from GT4. I had low expectations with this game, due to some reviews I read, but I'm completely hooked. I even prefer the car physics model and behaviour in GT5 P compared to Forza Motorsport´s, although the latter remains a fantastic game for many reasons. Getting Gold in GT5 P is challenging and fun. Great simulation. Looking forward to car damage this fall.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2008