1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Graphic card noise through audio channel

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by awol_2shae, Feb 11, 2013.

1. awol_2shae New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just bought a MSI B75A-G43 motherboard and a Gigabyte 7950 Windforce video card. Issue is that in fullscreen 3D noise coming out of the video card is actually going through the audio channel. Also noise can be heard even in computer browsing, scrooling through a webpage etc.

At the moment I sent back the motherboard under the pretext that the integrated audio card is not properly shielded. They have to take it into service and identify the problem but in the mean time I'm thinking what if they won't identify the problem, not testing it properly? Is it actually and issue that can be solved by changing the motherboard?
    If they say the motherboard is compliant will I have to send the video card back too?

Saw some posts about how I could fix this issue myself, nail polish and other stuff but that would probably involve breaking the warranty void on some of these components.

I eliminated the PSU from the possible suspects after testing a different PSU but with the same results.

2. animal007uk

Thanks Received:
    I have the same thing with my mobo so decided to get a sound card but the problem is still there, The only way i fixed this was to buy a new amp as the one i was using is older than me and picks up a lot of interference

3. jboydgolfer

jboydgolfer

Thanks Received:
    If it's Coil whine,,Then You COULD try running a 3D application Menu. Like the Main menu For a game,,For a few Hours with Your Monitor off. It worked For me on My Powercolor 7970 LCS.

4. tokyoduong

Thanks Received:
    i don't understand the theory on how this would fix his problem? Not trying to be snark...just curious.

5. rhino

rhino

Thanks Received:
    Niose

I had that a while back, in my case it was due to a couple of things:
    1) The graphic card was allegedly doing something at a frequency the the sound card was sensitive.
    2) Power cables too close to the SC and not insulated.

First thing I did was to reroute the cables and wrap the in foil. Need to make sure there's no contact to anthing, if you have a semi-decent case and the cables are long enough route them around the cable space.
    However, though this did improve things noise was still audible.
    Next, buy a sound card with a kind of metal casing around it which deflects any kind of waves are flying around in there, be it radio, energy or whatever.
    i.e.: ASUS Xonar D2X or Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty Pro
    I don't particularly recommend these cards, they're just so you can see what I mean, I'm sure they're OK, however, I bought an Audigy card in the end, you can see which one on e my spec.
    The third step was to add on a digital fibre optic to analogue converter to make sure there were no power fluctautions messing up my amp.

It worked for me.