1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Graphics Accelerators/OC?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Skrabrug, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Skrabrug

Skrabrug New Member

Thanks Received:
    A m8 of mine has just recently bought a 8800GT and he got about a day later he started to complain about his PC is overheating (well fair enough its overheating because he only as the generic AMD heat sink and 0 other fans/types of cooling in his case and its not very well ventilated)

and the case itself is a like a old P3 case which was designed for silence rather than mid2high performance parts

So for a few days he keeps telling me about the overheating issue and i keep telling him to buy some stuff to cool it (giving him a case and a few 80mm case fans in a couple of days anyway)

so to get to the point of this story last night over a IM client he goes "my computer is over heating" then a few minutes later we move onto another topic and he goes "today i overclocked my Graphics Card" after yelling at him a bit about how Heat problems+O/C= loss of of parts he satrts saying something about he read it was safe because he has a gigabyte motherboard and he O/C it with some weird Graphics Accelerators feature?

and he wanted me to ask if this odd graphics accelerator runs a risk of damaging his parts while his Pc is overheating (also probably doesn't help its summer here currently)

also I'm pretty sure those Graphics Accelerators don't count as O/C but I'd just like to get it confirmed
  2. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    N-tune is a overclocking Graphics Accelerator Tool that is available from NVidia, probably came with the card on the CD. Yes, they are safe to use.

However, the most important rule of overclocking is "Watch Your Temps". Overclockers know that heat kills, not only components but also performance.

Therefore, he should improve his cooling situation before overclocking.

Other Overclocking tools; ATI TOOL ( available here at TPU), Coolbits, Rivatuner, nTune.

:toast:
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2007
    Skrabrug says thanks.
  3. Skrabrug

Skrabrug New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah cool thats what i went almost an hour attempting to explain to him (that heat kills)

now i can just send him the link to this thread xD
  4. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    And ATITrayTools
  5. theonetruewill New Member

Thanks Received:
    London - Close your eyes and you'll see me
    He could be using the in-BIOS Graphics Booster- which is rubbish imo.
  6. Grings

Grings New Member

Thanks Received:
    well, if you're reading this, skrabrug's pal, take the sidepanel off till he gives you that case, if that thing dies you could be waiting a long time for an rma, judging by the current shortage of those cards, worse still, if they can tell its died from overheating they could even refuse an rma
    Skrabrug says thanks.
  7. Skrabrug

Skrabrug New Member

Thanks Received:
    that would be what he's using lol
  8. Morgoth

Morgoth

Thanks Received:
    just let it meld and he leurned his lesson...
  9. largon New Member

Thanks Received:
    I believe Gigabyte's bios "Graphics Accelerator" merely bumps the PCIe bus frequency by some silly one digit-percentage.
    It's completely harmless - but also utterly useless.