1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Graphics Arts Laptop <$2000

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by surfsk8snow.jah, Nov 21, 2007.

1. surfsk8snow.jah

surfsk8snow.jah

Thanks Received:
    My sister is looking to buy a laptop for school (Art Institute of San Diego - Computer Graphics Major) which she'll be using for photoshop/illustrator, 3dstudioMax, Vegas, video rendering, etc.

Anyone have any recommendations on what would be the best components for her to look for in a laptop?
    Better yet, anyone know of a good laptop that fits this category for less than $2000US?

Thanks!

2. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    You prefer any brands? And btw...desktops are best and this is in the wrong section...I'll pm a mod and ask them to move it.

3. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    Thread moved to general hardware so you'll get more hits and responses to your question :).

kwchang007 says thanks.
  4. freaksavior

freaksavior To infinity ... and beyond!

Thanks Received:
    buy a mac book pro...

Macs are better for that sort of stuff. Pc can do it but macs are more designed for editing stuff now-a-days so mac would best suited for that.

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    surfsk8snow.jah says thanks.
  6. freaksavior

Thanks Received:

hmm afaik adobe orignaly made the software for mac then pc users liked the software so much that it got ported to pc.

as far as the other software i bet $100 there is a program for mac that will do what the pc software will and do it better.

Crunching for Team TPU
  7. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    they are pretty even now IMHO i love vegas plat ed. and sound forge and those are just as good as the offerings on the mac...

if you want proof my hist techer made us all do vid projects and yes you could tell which was done on a mac and which was done on a PC cause the mac one had a menu that had an apple at the bottom but the kids with real PC editing software (not Windows movie maker) looked as good (read better) than the mac version but that could have to do with cams adn etc ie my vegas made one had a $600 canon WS camera that was on a tripod VS the grainy handheld cam the other person used

8. pt

pt not a suicide-bomber

Thanks Received:
  9. freaksavior

Thanks Received:
    you suck.

it's not rocket science dude! macs are just better for editing whatever it is. don't be a pc fanboy.

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    I've worked with Macs and PCs, for what Macs do, they are EXTREMELY effective and efficient. If all you're doing is photo/video editing, publishing, developing, or whatever-ing, you'll find a Mac will do all you want. However, for PC enthusiasts like us...Macs leave something to be desired.

11. freaksavior

Thanks Received:
  12. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    Those benches are old, if you saw some Core 2 Duos on Mac OS X 10.5, you'd see some serious ass-hauling :D.

13. pt

pt not a suicide-bomber

Thanks Received:
    how are they better?
    edit faster? :p

14. freaksavior

Thanks Received:

fine. buy a pc.

Crunching for Team TPU
  15. Atnevon

Atnevon

Thanks Received:
    Hey surf.

Being student myself, I am in the same boat as your sister. ATM moment I'm on a desktop (see my specs) but laptops can be fine for many, but limited uses as long as you pick the good ones.

As for which ones, it can be a toss up. For PC, I would go with the HP here:
    http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/load_configuration.do?destination=review&config_id=206157

Now due note. Graphic work on the 2D base is fine with this. Gaming is great too. However, 3D and Video rendering (AfterEffects for example) are going to struggle a little bit more.

As for Mac:
    The MacPros are very pricey. For 2K, this would be your only go:
    http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...934002/wo/qT5pTKGAs0d52glUsBw1hn7SPd2/10.?p=0

Now, please take this to heart. As this has happened to me. Laptops are great for portability. This is why I'm camping out for Black Friday deals. I miss it way to much. (RIP HP DV8000). However, I have done things in and out with my new Quad that blows any MacBook out of the water (for now).

My best advice for her, get a 500 laptop for small little work, and something to bring home on weekends, and get a desktop as well. I cannot tell you the stress of working in 3D applications or hoss work and not being able to work from something beter than a laptop. I hope this helps you.

Let me know if you need any help. Being a design student, I can give you way more insights of things to come.

-Andrew

16. pt

pt not a suicide-bomber

Thanks Received:
    i just did, should be here tomorrow, and stick linux on it after a couple seconds

17. Rob!

Rob! New Member

Thanks Received:
    What does the school use? All my friends who are art majors use Macs, but some schools still use PCs.

If they use Macs, get a Macbook Pro. Obvious choice, and they're $1800 with the educational discount.

18. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    i would say get a macbook [pro], macs are better for media purposes.. or so everyone says.

19. Polaris573

Polaris573 Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Art students should have a tablet PC. With a $2000 budget you might as well go for a durable one since she'll probably be using it a lot.

Thinkpad X Series

20. pt

pt not a suicide-bomber

Thanks Received:
    mine uses boths, not everyone has enough money for a apple
    and a pc does everything you need prob a couple miliseconds slower
    ex:
    my friend bought a macbook for 1k€ (2gb, intel c2d, 13' lcd, intel shitty gfx)
    i spent 900 in a asus (2gb, amd x2, 15' lcd, hd2600)
    now, who has the faster pc in overall?
    aqnd the person using the pc is very important aswell, i almost never crash, (only if i do something that may make it crash, oc for example)

@polaris - those seem handy, but most ppl preffer the good old paper and pen adn then a scanner :p
    i certainly do

21. Polaris573

Polaris573 Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Yes, but she's doing computer graphics. You can't draw a computer graphic on paper and then scan it. Using a mouse limits what you can do in photoshop as well.

22. Rob!

Rob! New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well most of my friends I believe have Macbooks, but they're also illustration majors and the like. The dedicated GPU in the Pro would probably help loads with rendering though as 3DSMax was mentioned.

I build the PC in my sig for roughly $400, and it could kick the shit out of my Macbook and most iMacs out right now, but I still much prefer my Macbook for general use and the software that comes on it.

23. pt

pt not a suicide-bomber

Thanks Received:
    the dedicated gpu is a 86gs or gt mobile, wich is on pair with the hd2600 mobile on mine
    @polaris - i think computers gfx is meant as in software (paintshop, 3dsmax, corel, etc) not really drawing

edit: i read your post again, but a 12' screen is no good for drawing, is too small

24. GSG-9

GSG-9

Thanks Received:
    What Rob is saying here is key, this is not even about which is better for editing, its about what the school considers a standard. The Milwaukee institute of Art and design as well as Minneapolis's college of art and design both use Macbooks.

As for myself I am lookking at this for photoshop and illustrator work, it does not have a high end card to speak of, but its 12' with a high resolution screen and has a tablet built in for Ps work. It is what I would recommend. (With the TL-66, I would buy 4 gigs of ram from Neweg for half the price hp sells it for.)

12' is not to small for drawing, thats from experance, the laptop I have above has a resolution of 1200x800, the same as most 15' laptops (some are slightly higher) I have never had a problem with 12' touch screens.

25. pt

pt not a suicide-bomber

Thanks Received:
    12' is too small for me, even 15' (non wide) is small for me :p
    and having a mac as standart in any school is retarded, what you can do on a mac you can do in a pc, faster or slower