• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Graphics card only runs with X1 instead X16

System Name Not a thread ripper but pretty good.
Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi (revision 1.06, BIOS/UEFI version P5.50)
Cooling EK-Quantum Velocity, EK-Quantum Reflection PC-O11, EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX360
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 ECC Unbuffered Memory (4 sticks, 128GB, 18ASF4G72AZ-3G2F1)
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 5700 & EK-Quantum Vector Radeon RX 5700 +XT & Backplate
Storage Samsung 2TB 980 PRO 2TB Gen4x4 NVMe, 2 x Samsung 2TB 970 EVO Plus Gen3x4 NVMe
Display(s) 2 x 4K LG 27UL600-W (and HUANUO Dual Monitor Mount)
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic Black (original model)
Power Supply Corsair RM750x
Mouse Logitech M575
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2
Software Windows 10 Professional (64bit)
Benchmark Scores Typical for non-overclocked CPU.
It cuts the multiplier, not the lane count.
This might depend on GPU. My Nvidia Quadro K600 powers down to 1x lanes according to GPUz and once putting load will shift upward. Unless I'm reading it wrong. I thought the x# was the lane count.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Yes a tried all ghis shizzle. But nothing changed something. But thanks to all for help and give tips. I wish you all happy holidays.

I‘ll come back with a new setup in the new year.
Can you get hold of another AM4 processor from work or from a friend?

Your PCIe x16 slot is directly connected to the CPU - it's just simple traces to the socket for all of the data pins in the slot - so it's unlikely that the slot is defective unless there's board damage, at which point you'd likely have far more problems showing up than just the PEG lane count.

Yes your motherboard is a cheap, basic model but in the absence of more data the CPU is the #1 suspect here and the motherboard being to blame is less likely. It's why I suggested removing/reseating your processor and inspecting for bent pins, stray thermal goop, or contaminants in the socket itself.

Just remember with AM4 that the CPU likes to glue itself to the heatsink and gets ripped out of the socket with the locking lever still down as you remove the cooler. It's always worth twisting the cooler a little to break the seal before pulling up to remove it.