• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Graphite + water = the future of energy storage

System Name Ultra 64
Processor NEC VR4300 (MIPS R4300i)
Motherboard proprietary design
Cooling Fanless aircooled
Memory 4.5MB 250 MHz RDRAM
Video Card(s) 62.5 MHz Reality Coprocessor
Storage 32 - 512 Mbit ROM Cartridge
Display(s) 720x576
Case Clear Blue Funtastic
Audio Device(s) 16-bit CD quality
Power Supply proprietary design
Mouse N64 mouse for use with N64DD
Keyboard N64 keyboard for use with N64DD
let me phrase it another way: are we storing nuclear energy? hydroelectric? wind turbine?

none of the major energy producers store it long term, it doesnt work that way. solar can give us power whenever it has sunlight, the problem is that its no good as a permanent power source since we have things called night time and clouds.

but if we had a storage solution that could store huge amounts of energy this storage is what is used and then topped up when it is sunny, that pesky problem of night time solved

Thatguy

Shocking. Night and clouds. Never heard of them. :rolleyes:

So, back to my point about this kind of technology, which the original article states

could change the idea that solar is no good because it can't be stored. Read the line again that states indefinite lifespan.

But I'm sure we're all better off will nuclear power plants the waste they produce. Uranium miners sure think so.

to provide power for our current rate of consumption plus substitution of current fossil fuel in mobile sources, would require enough solar panel "with current tech" to cover most of arizona.

More dense cell tech is needed.

New article about graphene, called: Graphene discovery may lead to faster computers

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/s...ery-may-lead-to-faster-computers-2319914.html

Electronic devices, from mobile phones to computers, could work much faster if they were made from the thinnest substance in the world, scientists from Manchester University have discovered.

Studies on graphene, a revolutionary material made of a single layer of carbon atoms, have revealed that electrons – subatomic particles that result in electricity – travel many times faster than in silicon, the basis of all modern computer chips.

The discovery suggests that it may be possible to create a new generation of super-fast mobile phones and computers based on graphene.
And so on ...

edit: and title of this thread ... it's graphene ...

Go, grab some cookies and get your graphene, nao!

Rice University researchers and members of Girl Scouts of America Troop 25080 confirm the conductivity of graphene made from shortbread Girl Scout Cookies.

Never liked cookies but today!

Graphene is a new wonder material that’s stronger, more flexible, and more electrically conductive than many other materials, and it could make all our electronics faster. Now Rice University scientists have proven that you could make the compound from just about anything including a box of Girl Scout cookies. The sugary delights converted just fine and the researchers estimated that a single box of shortbread cookies could yield $15 billion worth of graphene. With a B. The researches also managed to fabricate high-quality graphene from a variety of materials including chocolate, grass, polystyrene plastic, insects (a cockroach leg), and dog feces.

.... a cockroach leg, yeah that's all I need.

http://www.media.rice.edu/media/NewsBot.asp?MODE=VIEW&ID=16013&SnID=9216059

System Name Runs Smooth
Processor FX 8350
Motherboard Crosshair V Formula Z
Cooling Corsair H110 with AeroCool Shark 140mm fans
Memory 16GB G-skill Trident X 1866 Cl. 8
Video Card(s) HIS 7970 IceQ X² GHZ Edition
Storage OCZ Vector 256GB SSD & 1Tb piece of crap
Display(s) acer H243H
Case NZXT Phantom 820 matte black
Audio Device(s) Nada
Power Supply NZXT Hale90 V2 850 watt
Software Windows 7 Pro
Benchmark Scores Lesbians are hot!!!
edit: and title of this thread ... it's graphene ...

Blame the authors of the article. I just copied their title. :D