1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Great White Bengal

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Black Panther, Jul 13, 2012.

1. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    basic troubleshooting for network:

1. open a command window and type "ipconfig /all"
    2. record the ip address of the network card and your gateway (usually 192.168.1.1)
    3. in the same command window ping the loopback address (127.0.0.1 - checks the networking ability of the system before the NIC). If this works, go to the next step.
    4. in the same command window ping the ip address of the network card (checks the networking ability of the NIC). If this works, go to the next step.
    5. in the same command window ping the gateway address (again, usually 192.168.1.1 - checks the network from the PC to the gateway). If this works, go to the next step.
    6. in the same command window ping the address 74.125.225.72 (this is an address for google.com - checks the network from the PC oout to the internet). If this works, go to the next step.
    7. in the same command window ping google.com (checks DNS).

If this stops anywhere in the process, that's where your issue lies, and you can start troubleshooting at that point.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    If you haven't done it yet, powering off might not be enough, you have to reset it by taking the power plug out and leaving it a bit like that (the modem)
    Black Panther says thanks.
  3. Random Murderer

Random Murderer The Anti-Midas

Thanks Received:
    That alone tells me that your router settings have been reset to factory. Can you connect to the router itself using a wired connection? if so, you need to log in to the admin page for your router and tinker with the settings.
  4. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Connect to your router via wired cable. once you have an IP address goto http://192.168.1.1 then input the default login. go to service page or WAN page and refresh the IP.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the advice t_ski, Crap Daddy and Random. I'm sure I'd be finding this all very useful when I get back at home tomorrow.

On "default" I still couldn't get online though from the cellphone. I'm assuming that was 'my' connection, since 'BlackPanther' didn't appear.

What's weird is that the pc can see the router but it's not called Edimax anymore :confused: but NU11 or something similar... :ohwell:

I googled NU11 and apparently it's a wireless adapter. I haven't got any of the sort.

:confused:

Edit: Thanks brandon I just saw your post. I will try that tomorrow as well.

Thanks everyone for the help, much appreciated! :respect:
  6. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like all your settings reset, might have to set it up again. Either that or the ISP might BR having temp issues coincidently.
  7. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    The router being set to default is no cause for alarm. I remember hitting the reset button thinking it was the power button of the router... Strange that it's so prominent and easily hittable...

Anyway, I started a new thread for this problem because it doesn't pertain to this new build. I checked my old E8400 system, and also my laptop. Tried them all wired by ethernet. Always the same error as on the new rig, no matter which pc I try.

Took screenshots of t_ski's instruction results... it's all there. Thanks.
    Random Murderer says thanks.
  8. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    Internet connectivity problem solved

I really hate to say this, but I must admit that the 670 gives better image quality in gaming than the 5970.

It's not fps. As Murphy's law dicates, right now that I've got this build all set up, ready and working flawlessly I've got my 27" 2560x1440 monitor in RMA, so I have to do with a 22" LG 1680x1050. It isn't a bad monitor really. It's the best one I ever had.... before I got the Dell with the IPS panel and flawless colors. :ohwell:

I haven't yet tested the 670 with the Dell since it's rma'd but on this monitor with the comparatively washed-out colors, Skyrim appears so much nicer - the shadings, the lights, the HDR.. With the 5970 it was almost like I had HDR disabled (I didn't).
    Perhaps it's because of ambient occlusion? I dunno?

I can't anticipate how much nicer the game would be on the Dell!
    *drools*
    m1dg3t says thanks.
  9. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    Nice! Enjoy the build now :rockout:

Arrows incoming! Duck :D

Or jump rather! hahaha
  10. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    OP updated with new photos.

Next upcoming - NZXT hue.

Hopefully it'll be in stock some time this week!
    mjkmike says thanks.
  11. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    More photos in the OP.

The NZXT hue isn't in stock yet though...

I'm mighty glad I bought a 4GB graphics card!
    Thanks to everyone who suggested I forget about the 2GB Asus CU II Top and get the Zotac 670 4GB instead!

Here's Skyrim, everything on Ultra, with texture packs, enhanced distant terrain, and I set ugridstoload in the ini file to 9, and I plan to tweak more in the near future.
    Still my fps stay between 55 and 60. Occasionally they dip to 49 for a split second, then go up again. Game-play is butter-smooth, I'd think it was always 60 fps hadn't I been monitoring the fps!

Btw, the only thing I haven't got maxed out is AA. I have it at x2 because on this monitor with a low pixel pitch of 0.233 I don't see any difference if I increase it.
    But later on today I will be maxing AA just for kicks and to see if my fps suffer as a result. Also to check on vram usage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edit Here's with all settings at full, including all AA now. The lowest fps I saw was 42 but that was just momentarily. It still always stays between 52 and 60 fps.
    2621MB of vram usage :eek:

[​IMG]

Though honestly I really cannot see any difference between 2x AA and 8x AA

I'm tempted to set AA back at 2x but tweak ugridstoload to 11 in the ini file...... :D
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
    pantherx12 says thanks.
  12. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    Apart from the NZXT Hue (which isn't in stock yet..)

What would you suggest I add to this rig?

I was thinking of a sound card. But honestly I can't see hear any difference between the onboard I have now and the X-Fi Xtreme Music I had on the Black Panther rig. Well the only difference is that volume seems lower now - but I just increase the Z5500's volume to make up for it.
  13. bogmali

bogmali Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Damn it BP, now I has to get that case:D
  14. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    you can add water cooling :D

nice job with the tiger appliqué :D
  15. XNine

XNine CaseLabs Rep

Thanks Received:
    BP, the Hue should be in stock pretty much everywhere in the USA by now. Also, do you have any plans to sleeve or add sleeved cables? Might make thinks look a little bit better (but your cable management overall is great!)
    Random Murderer says thanks.
  16. Random Murderer

Thanks Received:
    BP, check Newegg, Xoxide, Amazon, and the actual NZXT store. Got mine from Xoxide two weeks ago and it was on my doorstep two business days after ordering.
  17. Xceller8r New Member

Thanks Received:
    where can i get the tiger decal?
  18. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    ebay.
    Xceller8r says thanks.
  19. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    Added a 2TB Seagate Barracuda to the works. Nothing special, but it was a gift and I appreciated the space a lot.

I'll be getting the NZXT Hue after the holidays..

What's putting me off is that the front controls might look ugly...

Edit: as a next upgrade I'm more looking towards a new and more spacious desk. This one serves its needs, but it looks kinda crappy... doesn't it?
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  20. Random Murderer

Thanks Received:
    Why's that? because it's black?