1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Green Machine Upgrade for my Son: i7

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by CyberDruid, Feb 15, 2009.

1. CyberDruid

CyberDruid New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well my Son's PC is experiencing the old BSOD.

Now I probably could just replace the PSU and be done with it but this was a great excuse to buy some PC gear:toast:

I've been curious about the i7 stuff but the prices seemed too high.

But then I looked a bit harder at the upgrade I had planned and thought ya know I could put a fair amount of money into an X48 DFI Lan Party but 5 years from now it'll be ancient history. Just like his AA8XE and 520 are now.

1366 has just started and likely will be still running strong for a good while (and I want to check it out :D)

So I sprung for an X58.I had to have the UV green to match his Metallic green Antec 900..had to. There was no other real option he's quite partial to Green:p So the DIF was the obvious choice. Seems like I bought the last ATX sized Lanparty X58 at the Egg too... I always enjoy that.

The only CPU that I wanted to afford was the 920. I have a feeling I may be able to get my hands on an Extra Special 1366 Xeon in the near future at a fraction of what it would cost me retail. It'll be a good experiment to see what the 920 can do on the Lan Party.

To complimnet that I sprung for the G SKill Black Pi 1600. I have a great fondness for G skill and have been using their RAM for ages. THe Black PI is dead sexy too.

For a Cooler I decided to try out the Mugen2 and a 1900RPM S-Flex. It's probably not as sexy as the Black TRUE but I think it will have to do. I'm interested to see how it performs.

My only regret (sort of) is an impulsive purchase of an Xclio PSU. THe 750 Modular was the right price and right look. BUt I still wish Ihad gotten a black PC Power 750 instead. Especially if I could find a Pre-OCZ one. But I think the modular will make a big difference in ease of cabling. The 900 is not exactly a great case for hiding stuff...

I will post up some shots of the rebuild when the gear comes in. I'll be spending a bit more time on it this go around and will be getting my son involved more this time...he's getting older and is starting to notice little details like cable managment :rockout:

Pics to follow

2. CyberDruid

CyberDruid New Member

Thanks Received:
    pics spot

3. LittleLizard

LittleLizard

Thanks Received:
    which lanparty did you buy, ut, dk or jr

CyberDruid says thanks.
  4. AddSub

AddSub

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like a great build. I just finished my i7 build a week ago. The LGA1366 will be around for a long time especially since the global economy has slowed down. I can see LGA1366 as the high-end platform for Intel well into 2011. Anyways, good luck and keep us updated.

CyberDruid says thanks.
  5. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received:
    Nice upgrade, I recently acquired my own spot on the i7 list and I can say nothing else than that it is sweet stuff.
    Of course I upgraded from a C2Duo, not a Quad, so I might be a little biased there.

Gotta say that most 920's can handle a clock of 3,33Ghz without complaints, mine likes it as well. Even a better simple overclock than my E6750 before (2,66 to 3,2)

CyberDruid says thanks.
  6. AddSub

AddSub

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, i7 is a beast. The i7 920 is one of the best OC CPU's I have tinkered with. I can do an amazing 3.6GHz with stock Vcore (along with a slight boost on the VTT). It comes out to around 3.8GHz if you count in turbo, all on stock Vcore. The X58 platform is pretty amazing too. X58 chipset is 45nm based as well. It runs cool and is pretty bug free.

CyberDruid says thanks.
  7. CyberDruid

CyberDruid New Member

Thanks Received:
    STUFF! Got some stuff...oh yeah. Not enough to fire up the rig...but enough to feel the glow :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Dammit I hate geting $300 mobo with a dmaged package. It's a frigging insult.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]\
    Xclio PSU

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Why the solid aluminum? It just makes it heavier. Does look Badass though :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Waiting on RAM and Heatsink now.

8. CyberDruid

CyberDruid New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sorry man I forgot to sub my own thread :wtf:

It's UT

9. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    That DFI should look damn sexy in that case too. I feel so jealous of your son....lol

10. CyberDruid

CyberDruid New Member

Thanks Received:
    I know...he's getting the royal treatment for sure.

11. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    your sons so jammy i wish i had a father like you, who would build me a rig like that

a i7 what is hardcore into pc like you are CD

when i saw green machine i thought hmmn a green build as in power saving, then i thought how can you make a green i7 rig? lol it was the mobo and case which is nice

my case is just plain nzxt tempest £60 inc shipping gonna just add some foam to keep dust out and dampen noise

12. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received:
    What's with the heatsink in the DFI package?

13. CyberDruid

CyberDruid New Member

Thanks Received:
    They had a similar one in the P35 UT TR2. It takes heat out of all the damn heatpipes that snake all over the board by tying into a baseplate at the backplane by the CPU socket. There is also a thin copper plate that you put between the CPU and the HSF that transfers heat from the CPU to the external Heatpipe thinger you are asking about.

That Heatpipe goes external of the case and supposedly catches the air from the rear fan or w/e.

This one is not as adjustable as the one with the P35 UT TR2 but it is a helluva lot sturdier.

It'll be clear once I have it installed.

14. ChiSox

ChiSox

Thanks Received:
    That board has IT!! I really like the heatsinks and the sata connectors....Great color scheme...Cant wait to see it built....CONGRATS!!!

CyberDruid says thanks.
  15. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received:
    Gonna wait for your install pics then :D This confuses me even more than the pic did...:wtf:

16. CyberDruid

CyberDruid New Member

Thanks Received:
    :p

It's optional. But it does make the chipset run cooler by shifting the heat out of the case in a novel manner. And it looks Badass :rockout:

17. Fitseries3

Fitseries3 Eleet Hardware Junkie

Thanks Received:
    sweet setup. i love the dfi x58!

18. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    Thrackan and CyberDruid say thanks.
  19. CyberDruid

CyberDruid New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ahh I made a wrong assumption. I see no copper plate on that set up so maybe that was specific to the P35

20. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    Im not positive if that was a feature of the "trans-piper" only, as this time around they have a different name for the cooler. Doesnt look like it though as the P35 heatsink it mounted to was grooved all the way from left to right. Seems with the new heatsink design it wont allow the copper plate to lay in there!

21. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    ya i can say something about you 1st post CD, someone i game with on TS in Project Torque, he upgraded his graphics to a 9800GT and has a 550watt XClio in it, well i warned him about it, sure enough the PSU crapped out.

22. crtecha

crtecha New Member

Thanks Received:
    Wow awesome build. I would be busting ass on some house choirs if I had that coming my way.

23. Castiel

Castiel

Thanks Received:
    Are you going to be making some videos on this?

24. CyberDruid

CyberDruid New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I don't see anything in the kit yet...buit I have not totally tyorn open all the accessories yet. Waiting till tomorrow when the RAM arrives.

Yeah I have been told by a number of people that the 550 has blown up. I hope this 750 will handle the load. I was leaning toward the PC Power750 but that thing has a mile of cabling hanging off it. I like the Silverstone 750: I've used one before.

I will deffo figure out some way to get him to help out around the house. But then again he's only 5 so...

Sure I can do that.:rockout:

Castiel says thanks.
  25. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received:
    5 years old and running i7... Dang! I was still pounding a Commodore 64 at that age!