1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Green or Red .....choose your bed!!!

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by dr4g0n72, Dec 28, 2009.

1. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    me too - I tend to order both cards when the new gens come out, play with both for a few days, and then send/take the one that i didnt like and get my money back.

I wanted to keep my 4870, really did, but it was louder, slower, and delivered less consistent FPS (probably due to drivers) than my 260 so back it went. It has been neat to watch ATi come back from its slump... and it looks like my next card might be the 5850 (or a 5890 depending on how saucy I feel and if there are games out there that could use the horsepower.)

dr4g0n72 says thanks.
  2. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    Seems Larrabee won't be for any time soon! Could be good for us consumers, but it could also be bad, what happens if (i say IF) its better than ati/nvidia offerings and trounces the competition? I dont want intel to take over the world.

Yeah, good old days! Seems I'm growing old fast!

dr4g0n72 says thanks.
  3. Nick89

Nick89

Thanks Received:
    I just don't like Nvidia's business practices, TWIMTBP and CUDA are my two main reasons not to like them, but they do make good yet overpriced cards.

dr4g0n72 says thanks.
  4. Pandora's Box

Thanks Received:
    i prefer ati hardware but nvidia's driver control panel is leagues ahead of ati's.

Only reason im running 2 gtx 285's right now is because I found an insane deal on them (worked out to about $190 each shipped)

dr4g0n72 says thanks.
  5. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Either for me depends on whats happening with either of them and which i like the most at the time if it's a new build but if i was going get a new card for this system i would say ATI but with the current scaling issue's ( mainly DX10 ) thinking i would pick up a nV card.

dr4g0n72 says thanks.
  6. shevanel

shevanel New Member

Thanks Received:
    From the staements ive heard from Nv lately I am left wondering if they are becoming less concerned with gamers and more concerned with workstations and what not.

they were so reluctant to give any credit to DX11... not one positive comment from them have i seen.. if so show me.

the only thing i can see nvidia hitting the head of the nail on is the fact that other than making money there is no real reason to ship out DX11 cards until the dates they are attempting to achieve arrive.. and that will be around the time BC2 and AVP drops.. not to mention RAGE which i think will not use nvidia physx but still could be a twimtbp title?

in this hobby/world there are many forms of competition between hardware devs and ATI and NV are amongst the top 4 and its exciting and almost frustrating to see a full blown roll out of ATI DX11 gear and little knowledge about the progress of the competition...

i have a feeling either the nv cards will be neck and neck with the performance of the ATI cards or.. they will be slightly faster or offer some gimmicky new feature that will either impress us or be useless. and i hope it has nothing to do with Physx bec Imo that is useless.

the newer games are really goignt o be what decides the importance of DX11 and the required hardware needed to play them. AVP looks great but gameplay seems sketchy, BC2 looks good but it doesnt seem that fun and RAGE seems like its going to be the best game Ive ever played but only time will tell. these are only my opinions and not meant to influence anyone into buying a GTX 260 for dedicated physx.

dr4g0n72 says thanks.
  7. dr4g0n72 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I do see your point 'Shev' but wouldn't it be wise to get the DX11 hardware out before the games/software needs it, you then have a solid hardware base on which to install DX11 games/software.
    I do however think that a GTX 260 may be a bit overkill as a dedicated physx card LoL

8. bobzilla2009 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I generally use amd/ati at the moment, but i have no qualms about using nvidia cards or intel processors. I just hope nvidia hurry up with fermi. Interestingly nvidia are apparently running tessellation via cuda, as opposed to a tessellation unit, we'll soon see how this approach works when heavy tessellation is present.

dr4g0n72 says thanks.
  9. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    I use the best benching CPU at time of procurement.

I have stayed pretty much on ATI GPU's and will probably continue to do so , but if green comes out with something that just slaughters the competition then I will switch to green.

side comment: I love my i7 and they do clock like no tomorrow and they pretty much take the benches but when I use to use AMD processors they were way more fun to overclock as they had a multitude of settings that needed to be fiddled... you could go for two months on the fiddle with an AMD CPU where as ...badabing bada boom wallah 4.2GHZ stable on the i7 and its only an hour later.lolz

dr4g0n72 says thanks.
  10. dr4g0n72 New Member

Thanks Received:
    hmmmm Tesssallation via a software approach...... it beggars belief that after decades of proof that a hardware solution can be better than a software solution a company such as NVidia could release such a thing without hardware support!! I think there may be more to this than meets the eye. CUDA will have a role in DX11 I bet ...... NVidia will have problems meeting MS stringent DX control but GP-GPU programing will overcome this I think.

11. Goodman

Goodman

Thanks Received:
    That wouldn't be because of the way of the folding program is writed?

Nvidia use more transistors & most of the time higher clocks , as for ATI they use more shaders & usely lower clocks , so if the folding program could use all of the "power" of ATI card i think it will come up on top at folding also?

In another words the problem is not ATI card but more the writing/programming of folding program?

dr4g0n72 says thanks.
  12. Goodman

Goodman

Thanks Received:
    No! P3 was good , it's the first P4 (423pin) that was sh*t! :laugh:

dr4g0n72 says thanks.
  13. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    Maybe I was biased, the day I bought my p3 667, the shop stocked in p3 800's. Man 133 mhz were worth a lot, so basically I was eyeing it like a kid who wasn't mine! :laugh: And no, I didnt know what OC'ing was back in the days!

dr4g0n72 says thanks.
  14. dan7777 New Member

Thanks Received:
    well... ive always bought Nvidia but just bought myself a 5850 and im loving it to be honest so ati im staying with for DX11 and price and performance ati cant be beat!

dr4g0n72 says thanks.
  15. Goodman

Goodman

Thanks Received:
    Yeah! a good PC was expensive back then :eek:

But lucky me i knew about overclocking back then a started with my first P1 75mhz @120mhz :rockout:

Later on i tried overclock on my old 486 66mhz for fun got it @80mhz but it's was not stable :rolleyes:

dr4g0n72 says thanks.
  16. MK4512

MK4512 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I prefer AMD/ATI because they usually give more bang for your buck when it comes to gaming (I think Intel is more of an encoding style processor) but if Nvidia or Intel came out with a cheaper and better alternative, I would buy it (but if Nvidia was even with ATI, I would go with ATI because I disagree with Nvidia's business practices.)

dr4g0n72 says thanks.
  17. cbupdd

cbupdd New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh, I still have it. Clocked at 1,6ghz (from 1,4) haha. It's the worst socket I've ever seen. It's like they didn't have enought space to place the pins, and thats the result:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:laugh:

and back to the topic..
    Ati is the cheap side of gamming, best high end perf/dollar, and new techs like gddr4/5. Nvidia just want to have the best perfomance card, no matter what it costs and I admire that. But I can't spend 500usd for that monster. So we just need to wait, and see the miracles of the competence. :D

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
    dr4g0n72 says thanks.
  18. dr4g0n72 New Member

Thanks Received:
    God I remember those days' ....I mostly stayed with AMD, my favourite was the K6-3 400.... In those days AMD had the measure of Intel and held them off for a while.....AMD does seam to be the most innovetive being the first with 64bit chips .... first with tri-level cache....even being 7 months ahead of Intel to release duel core CPU's etc....