1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GSC Game World, Developers Of S.T.A.L.K.E.R Series, Shut Down.

Discussion in 'Games' started by DragonBorn, Dec 10, 2011.

1. DragonBorn

DragonBorn New Member

Thanks Received:
    http://www.platformnation.com/2011/...developers-of-s-t-a-l-k-e-r-series-shut-down/

UPDATE 4: Sergey Galyonkin has provided an english translation of his blog post, which clarifies some of his statements. He says, “My friends in GSC believe that the reason for that is failed console publishing deal.” “STALKER 2 was going to become PC exclusive, which isn’t a great future for story-driven game.” Galyonkin does not believe that Grigorovich lost interest in the series. He also says that none of his friends from GSC mentioned anything about government involvement – which was originally mentioned in the Ukranews story. Galyonkin also says the “only thing that valuable in GSC is it’s IP and it is registered outside Ukraine.” Which means that there would not be much sense in the government trying to confiscate their assets.

UPDATE 2 & 3: Joe Mullin, former Social Media Manager with GSC Game World, tweeted to Platform Nation about GSC’s closure, saying “it happened today. To everyone.” Also, that GSC may make an announcement soon.

UPDATE: The concept art seems to have originated on krautchan.net/, a site that uses a BB system similar to 4chan. The german-based boards uses the term “Bernd” to mean an anonymous user. A “Bernd” from Ukraine posted a new thread at 13:05 with some concept art and the text “Hurr”. He followed that post up with some more concept art and the post “GSC closed, all employers fired.” Speculation in the thread that he was lying began immediately, but a moderator quickly showed that he was in-fact not only posting from Ukraine but posting from the GSC Game World domain. The OP wrote again later saying that the studio was closed for “personal reasons” and that Grigorovich “don’t want to sell it to someone” (though this post has not been confirmed to be from the same person). The confirmation of the OP’s posting location and the fact that the concept art seems to have originated from here are both very strong pieces of evidence that seems to confirm the studios closure.

Earlier this morning it was reported that GSC Game World, the Ukrainian developers of the popular S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games for PC , was shut down. Initial reports had little to go on besides a Ukrainian news site and some rumors from inside the company.

GSC denied the closure on their twitter page, but then deleted the tweet. Shortly after that Dimitri Bourkovski, who claimed to be close to GSC (though not an employee) tweeted that the studio was indeed closed. He followed up with a five part tweet saying that “GSC is closing its doors and Stalker2 is frozen.”

Sergey Galyonkin, who may or may not still work for 1C Ukraine, has written a post on his personal blog about the studio’s closure. He says, “GSC is closed, a fact confirmed by all. The team is almost completely dissolved, the state has only a few people.” He cites a failed attempt to secure a console publisher and possible disagreement by the CEO, Sergei Grigorovich, over the direction of STALKER 2′s development.

Most telling is Galyonkin’s post and a tweet by Joe Mullin, the Social Media Manager of GSC Game World looking for work. GSC has made no statement and at the moment all they have to say is “no comment”. It seems right now that this is all but officially confirmed. STALKER 2 is presumably cancelled.

It seems like GSC was in a good financial position, but its possible that piracy damaged the studios financials. Though, the S.T.A.L.K.E.R series has sold over 4 million units, which is no small feat for a Ukrainian game developer. Dmitri Bourkovski wrote that GSC ”was as one of the biggest, right now should be around the same size as Ukranian offices of Ubisoft & Crytek (50-70 people).”

The series mainly appealed to a European audience, which may have meant that rising development costs would not pay off for a shrinking audience.

Sergei Grigorovich, CEO and Founder of GSC Game World, was named “Entrepreneur of the Year” this February by Ernst and Young, a yearly awards ceremony with over 50 participating countries. Grigorovich not only led the development of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R series but also the Cossacks games, which made him his first million. The young CEO, who reportedly drove a Ferrari with a “STALKER” license plate, may have been instrumental in the closing of the company, best put in the Urkanews headline, “Kiev company decided to self-destruct.”

It was also mentioned in the in the Ukranews.com story that there might be some connection to GSC’s closure and a possible investigation into the company by some government office. Its being speculated that it could be due to tax evasion or some other sort of corruption, or an attempt by the government to seize the companies assets. This is not confirmed however, and poor translations from Russian make it even harder to understand.

“The Ascian Gaming Blog” has released concept art from S.T.A.L.K.E.R 2 here.

Come Over Here STALKER, Lets Have A Little chat

This news deeply saddens me. As a PC gamer, S.T.A.L.K.E.R is one of the modern series’ that really show off the PC’s potential. The game combined a unique setting with a wealth of mechanics in a way that almost no other game does. If you are a true video game enthusiast you need to play the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series. It’s hard to have a full understanding of modern game design and its potential without having spent at least a little time in the zone. Farewell, STALKER.
  2. Animalpak

Animalpak

Thanks Received:
    please no !!
  3. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Aww man that sucks if it's true.

How ever I hate everyone always blaming pirates.

"It seems like GSC was in a good financial position, but its possible that piracy damaged the studios financials."

Did pirates hack into their bank accounts or some thing?

I doubt it, if someone pirates a game in all likelihood they were never going to pay or they are a "try before you buy" kind of person and will buy the game after pirating it.

Pirates don't causes losses of sales, bad marketing does ( Or in most cases, bad games)

( Never saw Stalker advertised, I only knew about it because of TPU)
  4. DragonBorn

DragonBorn New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sorry for the Bad news it seem,s the news is hitting all the game sites with the same report on this.
  5. Volkszorn88

Volkszorn88

Thanks Received:
    My heart just dropped.

2012 was supposed to be all about Metro: Last Light and STALKER 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  6. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:

-CEO spent money for both PC and console development
    -No publishers wanted to publish the game on the console, saying "the game won't be profitable for us"
    -CEO pulls out ALL financing for the company

tl;dr CEO was an idiot, consoles f**king up PC gaming again
  7. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Game over :(

Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl ran like a dog on my old machine but gave Call of Pripyat a go and it was pretty good.

I could have only expected better in the future but it appears there is none now.
  8. KingPing

KingPing

Thanks Received:

You forgot this part "The young CEO, who reportedly drove a Ferrari with a “STALKER” license plate", all too suspicious:wtf:. he better watch out, the zone is a dangerous place, specially with a license plate like that.
  9. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    It's a shame, STALKER was one of the more memorable games. I own all of them on Steam.
    I still remember the early steps over The Zone, the scary descent into abandoned underground labs, the mutants etc. Though on the other hand, since they are russian developer, they'll quickly make a spinoff under a new company and there will still be games like STALKER coming to PC if you ask me. It just might be called a bit different.
  10. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Was a pretty atmospheric set of games : ]

Good enough that I think you're right anf they will still be made in some form or another.
  11. Maban

Maban

Thanks Received:
    GSC will make a statement Monday.
  12. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuckk!
  13. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    I reckon the guys (and the sacked staff) need to pull together. get rid of that asshat CEO who pulled their funding - and form a new studio that will carry on making stalker. Chances are they might even get picked up by EA or Activision - Though if its Activision, you know the stalker franchise is going to go down the drain like CoD.....

I wish their staff the best of luck.
  14. Phxprovost

Phxprovost Xtreme Refugee

Thanks Received:
    Id rather the series stay dead then have either of those two publishers pick it up, realistically if the IP is up for grabs i could see THQ going after it
    yogurt_21 says thanks.
  15. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    Very sad. This was a hugely immersive series, with a very large modding community that made it an almost perfect showpiece of what PC gaming is all about, and what the PC's can do. I sincerely hope the production continues in some other studio, which seems very possible, given the proliferation of PC game developers in Eastern Europe. With some luck, maybe most of the STALKER team can get hired too!
  16. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    Even if the STALKER series is confined to the history books. theres nothing to say that the same devs wont make a similar game in the future
  17. Ray_Rogers2109

Ray_Rogers2109 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm a try before I buy and trust me, it works!:rockout: Bought several games this way. More companies need more demos. Hell, I downloaded the demo for BATMAN: Arkham Asylum and can't wait to purchase it. Many of you know me as a stringent "If it's available as a retail, I'm buying it that way." person.
    Why the hell is the case for Shadow of Chernobyl so damn thick? The spine I mean. Did burn some mods to disc to put on its spindle. Guessing Clear Sky and Call of Pripyat are the normal DVD single width cases?:confused:
    The GPU which is listed as shipped should get here soon in less than a few hours. I'll finally be able to play Shadow of Chernobyl Complete 2009 on the highest settings! Until I buy the monitor which is listed because right now I have a generic CRT VGA monitor. Meh.

EDIT: I have been buying many games at low prices recently. Some even as presents or gifts. Do they care about each unit bought or the amount of money they generate? I'd rather save money on buying tons of games at low prices instead of spending lots of money for only a few.
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  18. Easo

Easo

Thanks Received:
    As a guy from the eastern Europe, it makes me sad. I loved the games, they have a lot of familiar things from places in Latvia and other countries from former USSR.
  19. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:

I spend a lot of money on video games each year. I also pirate a lot. The reason I pirate a lot is because I can. Why spend money on games if you can have them for free. So I am a perfect example of that guy that hurts the Dev companies and publishers. Some of you claim pirates don't hurt game company sales; well I say they do. Some games I just have to own the game. Some games I don't. I buy all my PS3 and 360 titles from gamestop. I buy 50% of my PC games through gamestop, steam and now origin. The other 50% I pirate because its just a single player game and I don't care if I own the game box and disc.

To say pirating a game doesn't hurt the gaming industry is totally not true. I bet my life that there are many other people out there just like me and I will say this; if not for pirating I'd be spending a lot more money than I do now. Every game I have pirated I would have eventually bought. I make 6 figures a year and I can buy every game I want but why should I? It's just too easy to take. Even with pirating I still spend hundreds of dollars a year on video games. But pirating saves me hundreds of dollars a year as well.

It was hard to admit this openly but I'm just tired of hearing people claim pirating hurts no one at all. If pirating stopped tomorrow I wouldn't care. I'd just spend more money going forward. It's easy to steal when you are in the comfort of your own home. It detaches you from thinking you are doing something really wrong. I'd never walk into a store and steal something...but then I sit in my chair at my desk and download games and movies all the time. It's not right but it doesn't feel wrong to me. Though I know it is.

Anyway...S.T.A.L.K.E.R. was a most awesome game. It's too bad about the CEO. In the case of this company i doubt pirating was the cause of death. Companies still make a load of money even with pirating. It's just hurts some of their sales.
  20. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    This isn't really a piracy thread but if you can afford to buy it, you should.

If you can't afford it, wait for the bargain bin.

Too much, "I want, I have, even if i steal" makes the world a fucking sad place.

As for Stalker... They can move on, they were three great games but maybe needed a new direction after the third. There's only so much zoning you can do in the same locations. Compare with Elder Scrolls using different maps every new game.

Looking forward to Metro: Last Light.
  21. GLD

GLD

Thanks Received:
    Sad news indeed. After reading this, I just got all 3 STALKER games on Steam for under $15.
  22. Maban

Maban

Thanks Received:
    From Facebook/Twitter: "Dear Stalkers: We will not be releasing any official news until around mid January. However there is cause for hope! Good hunting!"

They are a bunch of trolls the lot of them. Though they can troll as much as Valve if they want and I wouldn't care as long as they don't fold.
  23. Grings

Grings New Member

Thanks Received:
    Shame, excellent series of games, much like elder scrolls / fallout games, both in terms of freedom, and my willingness to tolerate a shitload of bugs :)