1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gskill ram?

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by mrsemi, May 8, 2008.

1. mrsemi

Thanks Received:
    I'm still a huge noobie re overclocking, I couldn't get my q6600 much above 3.0 with a pretty good cooler, not b3 stepping.

I started to see a little latency just surfing and decided to upgrade the ram to two 2-gig stick of g-skill ddr21000/pc2-8000 ram

Haven't plugged it in yet, I'm not a huge over clocker, I'm at 3.0 on the Q.

Was it a waste of money ? My stat sheet shows what was in there. The price seemed too good to pass up and I was going to get the mushkin with similar stats and same price with the rebate but they ran out.

I'm still a huge overclock noob, while I know the very very basics... for ram things like

"synced"linked"timings"latency" still confuse the hell out of me and the ram. Anyone know a safe bet on my bios or should I just plug and play it?

Sorry for the vagueness, I have read the overclock tutorial probably 20 times and I just can't get it to click.

2. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    Honestly, yes. You can OC the Ballistix to the G Skill speeds, likely at tighter timings.

Although 4 gig is a nice upgrade.

mrsemi says thanks.
  3. mrsemi

Thanks Received:
    Gah... Was afraid you'd say that.

The timings on the chip are what yours say, do I have to adjust that manually or should it default there?

4. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    to be honest. 4 Gb is a nice upgrade, and I saw a difference more than overclocking, but it might have been cheaper to get another set of Ballistix, but you've done it now, so just need to make the most of it.

And I set my timings manually, but they will default to them.

5. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    I have that G.Sill ram but only overclocked them too 1066 without problems And work great with my Axeram PC9600's..

6. mrsemi

Thanks Received:
    Well it's definitely a lot better than the old ram. I did have 4 gig of the crucial in this machine at one point before I pieced 2 off to my roommate and even with my ultra I could barely crack 11k on 3dmark with an 8800 ultra.

I just hit 13.5 k on 3dmark, 2.5 higher just with the ram and I know if I really got into overclocking I could do much better with the system but 2.5 k on 3dmark was worth the $80 I'm thinkin..

Weird thing though, I had vista rate the computer with its rating system, the ram used to be @ 5.3 and it upped it to 5.9 but it told my my ultra was a 1.0 on the vista scale so instead of my system going to 5.9 I'm at 1.0 now. :laugh:

Thanks for the input guys, one more question though. How do I overclock the ram to 1066 to test it. I was in the bios but not sure what to change and what number to put it to to get it there.

7. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    You've got driver issues w/ the ultra it sounds like. Download the latest from evga or nvidia and reinstall them, and see if that goes up to 5.9.