1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GT 640 lagging in every game?

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by Tekelectric, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Tekelectric

Thanks Received:
    Hey peeps, I really need a solution to this. Every time I try to play anything 3D (excluding Counter Strike 1.6 and any such games) my card go up to the 100s in Celsius and my fps drops noticeably. I'm playing games like C9 and Dragon Nest, Counter Strike:Global Offensive, and Blade Symphony. The games I mentioned here all lag even on low settings.

Specs:
    Intel i5 3.1Ghz quad-core
    16 gbs of ram
    GT 640 3 gbs DDR 3

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2013
  2. Rowsol

Rowsol

Thanks Received:
    the cooler on your card isn't good enough and the chip is throttling when it hits 100c to prevent damage to the card. Get a new card would be my suggestion, or try cleaning the dust out.

I gotta laugh at the 3gb of ram on it though.

3. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Well, a GT 640 is pretty low end so will tend to produce low framerates and high lag on modern games even when everything is ok.

In your case, it's obviously overheating, which will cause it to throttle as you're seeing and possibly malfunction. Over time it will become permanently damaged too, so you don't want to let this situation continue.

Is yours a fanless design, perhaps? If so, then it's likely to overheat when pushed hard in 3D, unless you have high airflow over it. Can you link to the product page for it, so that we can see exactly which model you've got, please? Also, clean any dust out, as rowsol recommended.

Finally, the forum allows you to fill in your system specs and show a link to them under your username like on mine, which I recommend you do.

4. Flogger23m

Thanks Received:
    There is something wrong with your card. It is getting too hot, which more than likely means the cooler is defective. Try cleaning out the fan and ensuring you have decent airflow in your case. That will prevent it from throttling or your PC form crashing.

That being said, that is a low end video card and will not produce good frame rates in modern games. Turn off all AA aside from FXAA and turn down AF. Then if you still get low frame rates, lower graphic settings in your games. I would personally buy a faster card though.

5. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    ^Clean the fan as he says and especially applying new thermal paste should take care of the overheating issue.

6. Tekelectric

Thanks Received:
    Well it's coming from this Asus computer that I bought a few months ago:http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/asus-essentio-cm6730-us010s/4507-3118_7-35576123.html It does have it's own fan though. Before, I was able to get good frames in all the games I mentioned on high settings, but it slowly started to suck really bad, could it be my fan? Maybe something else?

7. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Definitely sounds like it is overheating. Make sure the fan is spinning properly and the heatsink is clean of dust.

Edit: My GT640 never goes over 60°C while folding with the fan set at 60%, so something has to be up if yours is hitting 100°C.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  8. Tekelectric

Thanks Received:
    So should I get goin' and open up my computer to check this out? and if I end up having to clean my card, should I take it out and clean it or just leave it there? Also what should I use to clean it (sorry for so many questions, I don't wanna screw my computer up)?

9. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Yes, definitely clean it. If you've ever seen the inside of a well used PC before, you'll know just what a dust magnet they are. Remove the card and blow all the dust off it. When you put it back, check that the fan isn't making any grumbling/screeching/scraping noises as this means the bearing is dying. Besides the awful noise and eventual failure it will also spin more slowly, thus cooling the card less effectively.

Also it's good practice to clean out the dust from the rest of the PC too.

10. Tekelectric

Thanks Received:
    I just cleaned out my graphics card and also the rest of my PC, the temperatures remain the same. Should I replace it at this point now?

11. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    You should attempt to remove the cooler and replace the thermal paste.
    I'm sure someone can find a good guide around?

12. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    Have you replaced thermal paste, clean your fan and give your fan few drops of oil and check your fan speed. It may spin but could be slow sometimes and check how tight your heatsink to your gpu, lack of pressure could make your temp higher

13. Rowsol

Rowsol

Thanks Received:
    You COULD take it apart and replace the paste but is that card worth it? Well I guess that depends on your money situation. I say if you have a spare $150, buy a much better card.

14. qubit

Thanks Received:
    That's what I was thinking. As a techy project you could remove the cooler and reapply the TIM, but otherwise yeah, get something better.

15. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    if you are playing at high resolution then it will definitely lag as its a very basic card.

try using different driver versions?

i just think asus locked it so that its unusable outside thier system.

16. techtard

techtard

Thanks Received:
    Do a thorough malware scan, maybe you picked up a virus or something. Could even have downloaded something that uses your GPU to mine bitcoins for someone else.

17. Tekelectric

Thanks Received:
    *sigh* I might as well ask my final question before going out for a new card. Is it natural for my clock speeds to go this high while browsing? [​IMG]
    Because when it's idling it goes wayyyyy down. I'm using MSI Afterburner to keep my fan at 80%-100%

18. FX-GMC

FX-GMC

Thanks Received:
    What browser are you using out of curiosity? Also on that note, have you tried any different browsers?

19. qubit

Thanks Received:
    The clock speeds seem reasonable to me, although I don't know the clocks for that model without looking them up. Don't forget that looking at any kind of internet video will cause the 3D clocks to kick in.

20. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    Could you take a picture of the innards of your PC? Something isn't right it you cleaned the heatsink at it still overheats.

Is there another card adjacent to it that was installed right before you noticed the increased temperatures?

Crunching for Team TPU
  21. Tekelectric

Thanks Received:
    Google Chrome and that's pretty much the only one I use.
    No there were no cards next to this card I have. I'll take a picture if I can to show you though.

22. qubit

Thanks Received:
    It really bugs me how this card is running so hot - and just makes me wanna put my troubleshooting hat on, lol.

I know it can just be replaced with something more worthy, but if you really wanna get to the bottom of it, I do recommend replacing the thermal paste and ensuring the heatsink is sitting on the GPU properly.

Let us know how you get on. :toast:

23. Tekelectric

Thanks Received:
    ehhhh...I don't think I really wanna do that at this point. I might as well buy myself a better card and power supply if there's no way to fix this.

24. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    I would try cleaning the old TIM off the GPU and replacing the thermal compound with something new. I have to do this on a regular basis with my 6870s or else they start running hot as heck and start crashing.