• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GT5 DLC Scandal

Sony just released a new DLC for GT5 which includes the legendary track Spa-Francorchamps and few new cars. Like most racing fanatics I had to have it and I was quick to whip out the old VISA-card pay, and download it.

After downloading it I ran into a serious problem.

The in-game download option did not appear so I thought I would reboot the system, wait a while, check if the transaction was successful and whatnot. Since all of that was in order I went online to see if anyone else was having the same issue as me. It turns out that Sony have gone all picky with their downloadable content. Your PSN account, game disc and console must all have the same country code in order for the DLC to work.

This came as a surprise because there were no warnings whatsoever during the purchasing phase and Sony do not list this “feature” clearly on the Danish sub-sites.

For one a lot of users are having the same issues as me despite having done no wrong. A lot of people in less fortunate countries, like Denmark, did not get the PS3 at the world wide release which meant a lot of people where buying PS3s from all sorts of sources.

Also people from countries that did not exist within PSN at the launch of the PS3 are in the same predicament because they have registered their accounts to dummy addresses in countries that were available at that time.

Since you cannot change your country in PSN a lot of users have no way of getting what they have paid for. And since Sony does not offer any way to cancel purchased items from PSN they have just robbed $20 from a lot of people.

This leaves a lot of people with a dent in their pocket, and a lot time on their hands that they should have spent gaming.

It turns out that BCUS-region coded games have been sold all over the EU at the launch of GT5, so you better check your disc, your account registration and PSN before you decide to buy the GT5 DLC.

Sorry about the longish post.

Cheers,
Frederik

System Name Multiple - Win7, Win10, Kubuntu
Processor Intel Core i7 3820 OC@ 4.0 GHz
Motherboard Asus P9X79
Cooling Noctua NH-L12
Memory Corsair Vengeance 32GB 1333MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire ATI Radeon RX 480 8GB
Storage Samsung SSD: 970 EVO 1TB, 2x870 EVO 250GB,860 Evo 250GB,850 Evo 250GB, WD 4x1TB, 2x2TB, 4x4TB
Display(s) Asus PB328Q 32' 1440p@75hz
Case Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper
Power Supply Corsair HX750, HX550, Galaxy 520W
Mouse Multiple, Razer Mamba Elite, Logitech M500
Keyboard Multiple - Lenovo, HP, Dell, Logitech
Sony just released a new DLC for GT5 which includes the legendary track Spa-Francorchamps and few new cars. Like most racing fanatics I had to have it and I was quick to whip out the old VISA-card pay, and download it.

After downloading it I ran into a serious problem.

The in-game download option did not appear so I thought I would reboot the system, wait a while, check if the transaction was successful and whatnot. Since all of that was in order I went online to see if anyone else was having the same issue as me. It turns out that Sony have gone all picky with their downloadable content. Your PSN account, game disc and console must all have the same country code in order for the DLC to work.

This came as a surprise because there were no warnings whatsoever during the purchasing phase and Sony do not list this “feature” clearly on the Danish sub-sites.

For one a lot of users are having the same issues as me despite having done no wrong. A lot of people in less fortunate countries, like Denmark, did not get the PS3 at the world wide release which meant a lot of people where buying PS3s from all sorts of sources.

Also people from countries that did not exist within PSN at the launch of the PS3 are in the same predicament because they have registered their accounts to dummy addresses in countries that were available at that time.

Since you cannot change your country in PSN a lot of users have no way of getting what they have paid for. And since Sony does not offer any way to cancel purchased items from PSN they have just robbed $20 from a lot of people.

This leaves a lot of people with a dent in their pocket, and a lot time on their hands that they should have spent gaming.

It turns out that BCUS-region coded games have been sold all over the EU at the launch of GT5, so you better check your disc, your account registration and PSN before you decide to buy the GT5 DLC.

Sorry about the longish post.

Cheers,
Frederik

I don't feel surprised at all .. it's how microsoft and sony operate .. the biggest parasites in the gaming world, unoriginal and corporate.

My Advice:

Switch to PC & WiiU

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sorry to hear about this, dude. I can sense a juicy news story here though...

System Name Fractality 1.0
Processor Intel Core i7-860 @ 3.6GHz
Motherboard EVGA P55 SLI
Cooling Prolimatech Megahalems and four Fractal Design 120mm fans, sleeved
Memory 16GB Kingston Hyper RAM
Video Card(s) PNY GeForce 580 XLR8
Storage 64GB and 180GB SSDs / 1TB and 2TB HDDs
Display(s) 24" Acer V243W
Case Fractal Design Define R2, sleeved all I/O cables
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX750W modular, sadly only stock sleeving
Software Win 7 64bit
Switch to PC & WiiU

No. PS3 is still a great console despite PSN shenanigans. And so is the 360. And every other console. See I own 14 consoles and am a PC gamer, too. And I'm sick of those "see because of this problem X, you should switch to console B, because its better than console A!" Better yet, switch to C, because the WiiU is so totally comparable to the PS3.

Anyway sorry for the slight rant.
Indeed its a bad system. And I can see that for smaller countries its a problem. Altough I do have to wonder why Switzerland was included in the PSN at launch, we aren't exactly big or something. Maybe because there are over a hundred million German speaking folks in the center of Europe.

But isn't there an option to re-register your PSN account? Delete it and make a new one? Its a hassle for sure, but wouldn't it work? Since you likely put in a dummy address, all you'd have to change is the email, no?

That being said I never downloaded a single thing on PSN. Or XBL for that matter. But I understand your frustration.

I wonder if this spawns another class action lawsuit...

Kwod

System Name Crysis 3
Processor i3570+CM 212
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77 V
Cooling Antec 1100+3 fans
Memory 2x8gig 1600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Saphire 7950 Vapour X
Storage Samsung 250g 840
Display(s) 26in LCD 1920x1200 8 bit+37in 1080p HDTV
Case Antec 1100
Audio Device(s) Xonar DG+Z5500D
Power Supply Antec 650 Hi current
Software W7 64
I think it could make for a good news story. I have mailed the Danish support because the terms of agreement are in direct violation, depending on interpretation of course, with Danish consumer rights and I will try and get my money back.

On a side note: I find it appalling that companies impose country based regulation of their games and services when they clearly do not enforce their rules on game vendors in those countries. I bought a service in good faith and Sony have failed to uphold their end of the deal. Where the services are bought should not matter, and this covert type of regional coding is just plain lame.

I have the right to access the content since it is already payed for, but because of some obscure rules set up by Sony I cannot access what is rightfully mine.

I am sure that the Sony imposes these odd rules with all of their DLC packages, definitely news worthy. People should be made aware of this practice and I just hope that some people see this before they dish out $20 or more without getting anything from Sony.

System Name Classy Gal
Processor i7 2600K
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3-B3
Cooling CM Hyper 212 plus
Memory 16GB Kingston Hyper X
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX1070 FE
Storage 2x120GB Vertex 3 - 1x1TB WD
Display(s) LG 23" 1920x1080
Case Coolermaster Cosmos S
Audio Device(s) Creative SB Titanium HD
Power Supply Seasonic M12II 750W
Software Win10 / Linux Mint
This problem happens in other games to, my friend Uncharted 2 DLC won't work because he bought the game in Europe and his PSN account is from USA, he lives in Latin America, and the PS3 is from...:confused: no idea where the machine is. True Story.

System Name Multiple - Win7, Win10, Kubuntu
Processor Intel Core i7 3820 OC@ 4.0 GHz
Motherboard Asus P9X79
Cooling Noctua NH-L12
Memory Corsair Vengeance 32GB 1333MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire ATI Radeon RX 480 8GB
Storage Samsung SSD: 970 EVO 1TB, 2x870 EVO 250GB,860 Evo 250GB,850 Evo 250GB, WD 4x1TB, 2x2TB, 4x4TB
Display(s) Asus PB328Q 32' 1440p@75hz
Case Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper
Power Supply Corsair HX750, HX550, Galaxy 520W
Mouse Multiple, Razer Mamba Elite, Logitech M500
Keyboard Multiple - Lenovo, HP, Dell, Logitech
No. PS3 is still a great console despite PSN shenanigans. And so is the 360. And every other console. See I own 14 consoles and am a PC gamer, too. And I'm sick of those "see because of this problem X, you should switch to console B, because its better than console A!" Better yet, switch to C, because the WiiU is so totally comparable to the PS3.

Anyway sorry for the slight rant.
Indeed its a bad system. And I can see that for smaller countries its a problem. Altough I do have to wonder why Switzerland was included in the PSN at launch, we aren't exactly big or something. Maybe because there are over a hundred million German speaking folks in the center of Europe.

But isn't there an option to re-register your PSN account? Delete it and make a new one? Its a hassle for sure, but wouldn't it work? Since you likely put in a dummy address, all you'd have to change is the email, no?

That being said I never downloaded a single thing on PSN. Or XBL for that matter. But I understand your frustration.

I wonder if this spawns another class action lawsuit...

More and more news indicates that's not the case.

http://www.nintengen.com/2012/01/speculation-wii-u-gpu-vs-xbox-720-gpu.html
http://systemwars.com/forums/index.php?/topic/88257-ign-720-to-be-only-20-more-powerful-than-wiiu/

Yo_Wattup

System Name Desktop/Gamer/Digital Audio Wokstation ||| HTPC
Processor 2500k @ 4.65ghz ||| AMD A8 @ 3.6ghz
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V Pro
Cooling Noctua NH-D14 with single Blue Antec Tri-Cool 120mm ||| Stock
Memory 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 @1900mhz 8-9-9-24 ||| 8GB G.Skill 1600 CL9
Video Card(s) 2x HIS HD6950 2GB Crossfire, 6970 clocks ||| HD6550D
Storage 120GB Intel 320 series SSD + 2TB storage ||| 1TB Seagate
Display(s) 32" Sony Bravia LCD 1080p ||| 50" Hitachi Plasma 1080p
Case Raidmax Raptor modded to 7 fans ||| A compact HP Case
Audio Device(s) Firewire audio interface + two 9" studio monitors, 450 REAL watts ||| onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX 750W ||| generic 400W
Software Win 7 Ultimate + Win 8 consumer preview||| Win 7 Pro
Benchmark Scores Never drops below 60fps Battlefield 3 everything on max, fov 90. :D
System Name Jaffakeik
Processor I9 12900K
Motherboard MSI Pro B660M-A WIFI DDR4
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II High Performance CPU Water cooler- 240mm
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 32GB (2x16GB) 3600
Video Card(s) 7900XTX gigabyte OC edition
Storage WD Black SN770 1TB SSD M.2 2280 NVME x2
Display(s) TV LG C2
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 Full Tower Case Tempered
Audio Device(s) Mother board + Sennhiser HD650+ Elgato wave xlr + shure SM7B
Power Supply EVGA 1600w G+
Mouse Glorious Model 0
Keyboard Corsair RBG mini K65 + Steelseries Apex150
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores over 9000
I like my PS3 and had no problems with games because i buy only from my region so i dont get people who seeks out games from different regions becuase they are cheaper there,its your own fault.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
I smell a Class Action lawsuit brewing...

System Name Classy Gal
Processor i7 2600K
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3-B3
Cooling CM Hyper 212 plus
Memory 16GB Kingston Hyper X
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX1070 FE
Storage 2x120GB Vertex 3 - 1x1TB WD
Display(s) LG 23" 1920x1080
Case Coolermaster Cosmos S
Audio Device(s) Creative SB Titanium HD
Power Supply Seasonic M12II 750W
Software Win10 / Linux Mint
I like my PS3 and had no problems with games because i buy only from my region so i dont get people who seeks out games from different regions because they are cheaper there,its your own fault.

The problem is not that you are screw because you wanted cheaper games, the problem is that when the people affected bought the PS3 at launch (like me), the PSN service wasn't available in their country (also like me), so they had to create a PSN account using another country (like me), now that the PSN is available in their country, and you can't change the country in your PSN profile, you can't access stuff you bought or cancel your purchase.

System Name Jaffakeik
Processor I9 12900K
Motherboard MSI Pro B660M-A WIFI DDR4
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II High Performance CPU Water cooler- 240mm
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 32GB (2x16GB) 3600
Video Card(s) 7900XTX gigabyte OC edition
Storage WD Black SN770 1TB SSD M.2 2280 NVME x2
Display(s) TV LG C2
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 Full Tower Case Tempered
Audio Device(s) Mother board + Sennhiser HD650+ Elgato wave xlr + shure SM7B
Power Supply EVGA 1600w G+
Mouse Glorious Model 0
Keyboard Corsair RBG mini K65 + Steelseries Apex150
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores over 9000
but they could contact PS support with such issue as country change?or not?