1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GT5 DLC Scandal

Discussion in 'Games' started by Frederik S, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Frederik S Staff

Thanks Received:
    Sony just released a new DLC for GT5 which includes the legendary track Spa-Francorchamps and few new cars. Like most racing fanatics I had to have it and I was quick to whip out the old VISA-card pay, and download it.

After downloading it I ran into a serious problem.

The in-game download option did not appear so I thought I would reboot the system, wait a while, check if the transaction was successful and whatnot. Since all of that was in order I went online to see if anyone else was having the same issue as me. It turns out that Sony have gone all picky with their downloadable content. Your PSN account, game disc and console must all have the same country code in order for the DLC to work.

This came as a surprise because there were no warnings whatsoever during the purchasing phase and Sony do not list this “feature” clearly on the Danish sub-sites.

For one a lot of users are having the same issues as me despite having done no wrong. A lot of people in less fortunate countries, like Denmark, did not get the PS3 at the world wide release which meant a lot of people where buying PS3s from all sorts of sources.

Also people from countries that did not exist within PSN at the launch of the PS3 are in the same predicament because they have registered their accounts to dummy addresses in countries that were available at that time.

Since you cannot change your country in PSN a lot of users have no way of getting what they have paid for. And since Sony does not offer any way to cancel purchased items from PSN they have just robbed $20 from a lot of people.

This leaves a lot of people with a dent in their pocket, and a lot time on their hands that they should have spent gaming.

It turns out that BCUS-region coded games have been sold all over the EU at the launch of GT5, so you better check your disc, your account registration and PSN before you decide to buy the GT5 DLC.

Sorry about the longish post.

Cheers,
    Frederik

KieX and Cold Storm say thanks.
  2. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:
    I don't feel surprised at all .. it's how microsoft and sony operate .. the biggest parasites in the gaming world, unoriginal and corporate.

My Advice:

Switch to PC & WiiU

Horrux and Kwod say thanks.
  3. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Sorry to hear about this, dude. I can sense a juicy news story here though...

Frederik S and stinger608 say thanks.
  4. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    No. PS3 is still a great console despite PSN shenanigans. And so is the 360. And every other console. See I own 14 consoles and am a PC gamer, too. And I'm sick of those "see because of this problem X, you should switch to console B, because its better than console A!" Better yet, switch to C, because the WiiU is so totally comparable to the PS3.

Anyway sorry for the slight rant.
    Indeed its a bad system. And I can see that for smaller countries its a problem. Altough I do have to wonder why Switzerland was included in the PSN at launch, we aren't exactly big or something. Maybe because there are over a hundred million German speaking folks in the center of Europe.

But isn't there an option to re-register your PSN account? Delete it and make a new one? Its a hassle for sure, but wouldn't it work? Since you likely put in a dummy address, all you'd have to change is the email, no?

That being said I never downloaded a single thing on PSN. Or XBL for that matter. But I understand your frustration.

I wonder if this spawns another class action lawsuit...

5. Kwod New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have nothing but contempt for consoles, though next gen might be decent enough, but who knows, and who knows when...

6. Frederik S Staff

Thanks Received:
    I think it could make for a good news story. I have mailed the Danish support because the terms of agreement are in direct violation, depending on interpretation of course, with Danish consumer rights and I will try and get my money back.

On a side note: I find it appalling that companies impose country based regulation of their games and services when they clearly do not enforce their rules on game vendors in those countries. I bought a service in good faith and Sony have failed to uphold their end of the deal. Where the services are bought should not matter, and this covert type of regional coding is just plain lame.

I have the right to access the content since it is already payed for, but because of some obscure rules set up by Sony I cannot access what is rightfully mine.

I am sure that the Sony imposes these odd rules with all of their DLC packages, definitely news worthy. People should be made aware of this practice and I just hope that some people see this before they dish out $20 or more without getting anything from Sony.

7. KingPing

KingPing

Thanks Received:
    This problem happens in other games to, my friend Uncharted 2 DLC won't work because he bought the game in Europe and his PSN account is from USA, he lives in Latin America, and the PS3 is from...:confused: no idea where the machine is. True Story.

8. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:

More and more news indicates that's not the case.

http://www.nintengen.com/2012/01/speculation-wii-u-gpu-vs-xbox-720-gpu.html
    http://systemwars.com/forums/index.php?/topic/88257-ign-720-to-be-only-20-more-powerful-than-wiiu/

9. Yo_Wattup New Member

Thanks Received:
    :wtf:

10. Jaffakeik

Jaffakeik

Thanks Received:
    I like my PS3 and had no problems with games because i buy only from my region so i dont get people who seeks out games from different regions becuase they are cheaper there,its your own fault.

11. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    I smell a Class Action lawsuit brewing...

12. KingPing

KingPing

Thanks Received:

The problem is not that you are screw because you wanted cheaper games, the problem is that when the people affected bought the PS3 at launch (like me), the PSN service wasn't available in their country (also like me), so they had to create a PSN account using another country (like me), now that the PSN is available in their country, and you can't change the country in your PSN profile, you can't access stuff you bought or cancel your purchase.

13. Jaffakeik

Jaffakeik

Thanks Received:
    but they could contact PS support with such issue as country change?or not?