1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GTA IV Performance

Discussion in 'Games' started by MaxAwesome, Dec 4, 2008.

1. oli_ramsay

oli_ramsay

Thanks Received:
    I'm not using a controller and the camera issue is still there, making the game unplayable. Also after I applied the patch, instead of saying "press space to apply" it says "press Y to apply" and has a pic of an xbox 360 controller button instead of a spacebar button.

*sighs* :shadedshu
  2. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    h mine was flickering the xbox buttons too but the keyboard keys were changing one to the other. Maybe plug a joystick in and see if it keeps swaping around for you too.

all though i do have a worse issue which is a sound one were you do not hear weapons 99% of the time.

Wife dunno yet HA. have a few hours to get it sorted or she going be pissed lol.
  3. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Uses a single card only though :(

Any of you guys know how to remove the 30fps cap in game?
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  4. xubidoo New Member

Thanks Received:
    turn off vsync ?
  5. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    I dont even know if SLI is working lol... both GPU's heat up during the game with it enabled but the bench is still the same as just using one... what a :nutkick: and anytime i spin to look at anything it jerks... driving around at full speed with 25FPS is awful. cant wait for the patch
  6. xubidoo New Member

Thanks Received:
    the patch has been out since yesterday ,don't count on it increasing ur FPS tho.
  7. wolf2009 Guest

ya, it puts more bugs into the game
  8. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    these graphics are absolute garbage for the performance. as far as im concerned the game is barely playable on all medium settings on this rig... lol at the rating...

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• Lol.jpg
      Lol.jpg
      File size:
      57.8 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  9. X800

X800

Thanks Received:
    It runs fine on a Ati HD2900XT 1GB .The new driver set did all the diffrence i run everything at high at res 1280*1024 =) .
  10. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Well i think the graphics are good even more so for all the crap thats going on.

As for performance i et 18 to 50fps typically 25\35fps out side but is very playable and this is with 100% cars too. No chance of AA even if it was a option with my card.

Overall i'm very happy with the game my self ( Liked SA missions more though ) just pissed that they rushed the patch so fast.
  11. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    25FPS is playable, but not very well... its fine for RPGs but not for First-person or GTA-style games - like when driving at really high speeds 25FPS makes it REALLY hard not to crash...
  12. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Don't bother my driving till it goes lower than 19FPS which is fair rare.
    The 8.12 drivers did not help as i lost 2+ FPS compared to 8.8 drivers and the 8.8 drivers were on higher traffic \ view distance..
  13. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    ah. my bad. game is not capped at 30fps... anyways, pressing 'P' in game will turn on Motion Blur and Depth of Field effect. Pretty nice.. I noticed no hit in performance and is very handy for those who has a smaller view distance since it will blur out distant detail. It looks better imo also.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
    phanbuey says thanks.
  14. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    I drive better with low fps :p gives me time to think :laugh:
  15. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    Reviews at amazon.co.uk (and amazon.com) are hammering this game: http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/product/B001EO74NW/&tag=tec053-21

Are people overreacting, or do you agree that performance, and DRM invasion (not unobstrusive DRM), but how it is implemented in GTA4, crashes and key-controls etc warrant these low scores.
  16. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    People are jumping on the omfgwtf it doesn't run on my at 12 trillion fps so it is bad. Also they are complaining about the bugs when most programs are bound to have bugs when they are released.
  17. xubidoo New Member

Thanks Received:
    i was getting regular crashes to desktop at 1st ,untill some1 suggested turning off the videoclip option ,hardly a crash since and it runs pretty decently for me ,25 - 60fps depending wat going on and is perfectly playable ,the odd occasion it can drop under 20fps and then yes its bad ,but that is pretty rare.

Since installing the patch i cant say ive noticed anything different at all.
  18. xubidoo New Member

Thanks Received:
    Camera/keyboard issue with new patch
    Posted by adamcs at 15:57. Category: General

Some users are experiencing a "spinning camera" issue after installing the new GTA IV PC patch. Rockstar Games has apologised for this, and provided a temporary solution at our forums:

To fix the issue:

A1) Unplug any DirectInput controllers (gamepads, joysticks etc..)
    A2) Reboot your computer
    A3) Launch GTA IV

If the issue persists, the following instructions are provided as a guide to assist you in deleting the conflicting DirectInput drivers:

B1) Exit game
    B2) Go to Start->Control Panel->System->Hardware Tab->Device Manager->Human Interface Devices
    B3) Locate drivers for devices
    B4) Delete drivers for devices
    B5) Launch GTA IV

**Some users are able to reinstall the drivers for their DirectInput devices, with the device attached, and have found that it will work in game. If you do attempt to reinstall your device and the problem resurfaces, please follow steps B1-B5 again.

Source: http://www.gta4.net/news/index.php
    AsRock says thanks.
  19. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Patch courses sound issue's too for some me being one of those. So i did a uninstall and reinstall and now the game don't work as good as it seems that it's kept the sound bug and requires a reboot for the bug to be gone.

So MAYBE if some one has a sound issue after installing the patch try restarting the system.
  20. jaxxxon New Member

Thanks Received:
    game run great for me on high settings, but i cant increase the draw distance above 60, it wont let me because of memory or something. cant see why though everything runs fine, and i cant see a problem increasing the draw distance either, it just wont let me !!!
  21. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    Got myself a new 1Gb 4870 (last 4870 died :() and I'm running it at High with it's recommended settings and it looks fantastic with minimal stutter (generally just after loading or driving really fast).
  22. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    Between lack of AA and vsync, the screwed up 'mesh' shadows, the no non-360 controller support, and terribly clunky performance(even with the patch), I can say that I cannot be bothered to even get through the first mission until things get ironed out.

99% of the time, I haven't the problems whether stability or performance that most people do with 3d apps, but this time around, I am in the same boat.

Shame too, I was looking forward to this.
  23. SUPERREDDEVIL

SUPERREDDEVIL New Member

Thanks Received:
    Very bad Port.

look my Rig, i get CODWAW with max settings, 16X of AF and 8X of AA, NFS undercover with the same things and this games runs very fast, smooth playing, no glitches, then i put this GTA4 on my pc and get medium settings, at 20 FPS:wtf:.... or lower.... :banghead: BAD PORT; BAD GAME

thats my opinion.
  24. oli_ramsay

oli_ramsay

Thanks Received:
    I wish I had your optimism, I seriously doubt they'll bother fixing the AA (or lack thereof), the fucked up shadows, etc etc. It's bitterly disappointing to wait for something this long and when it arrives it looks like a bodged port. I think it's absolutely pathetic that AA can't be enabled and whoever's decision that was should be hung, drawn and quartered (maybe a little harsh, but meh).
  25. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    I think it's a good port my self all things considered. Ok it has it's problems but so do many other games which turned out great ones later on.

I'm just glad they had the balls to pull this game of as it must of took a hell load of time to do. Pisses me off when people say HL2 was so good i did not think so all the loading all the time before you knew it you had to load a new area.

There's no pleasing people these days and there's always some body to complain like they did about fallout 3 Oblivion and what ever game thats come out.

In the end maybe you should of waited before buying it as it's always a risk buying a game thats ported.