1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GTA IV Performance

Discussion in 'Games' started by MaxAwesome, Dec 4, 2008.

1. pepsi71ocean New Member

Thanks Received:
    interesting, i'll have to pick up a copy of GTA IV at Best buy and see how it works on my rig.

2. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    I heard CF is not working earlier on in this thread.

3. Viorel

Viorel New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't have Steam, but my commandline doesn't work if I use this (like the txt's in the previous page):
    -command1 -comm2 -comm3

And work if I use:
    -command1
    -comm2
    -comm3

Have you tried in both ways?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
    erocker says thanks.
  4. pepsi71ocean New Member

Thanks Received:
    programs work linear, so each command is read per line, thus why it does work in the first set, ony the one where you having it go down.

5. D3mon_Hunt3r

D3mon_Hunt3r New Member

Thanks Received:
    My commandline.txt is written in the second way too.

6. Jaffakeik

Jaffakeik

Thanks Received:
    strange latly i dont get any game problems.all go fine.atleast now i can play longer than hour and dont get kicked out of game like always was.

7. pepsi71ocean New Member

Thanks Received:
    is that in multiplayer?

i finally bough both GTA IV, and COD WAW, and i had to choose which game to take now, and which to hold till christmas, so i chose to keep GTA till Christmas, so i'll report what the game does FPS and what not wise then. it will be interesting to see none the less.

8. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    That works, and I have to start the game using a shortcut instead of through Steam. So here's a video with everything maxed out 1920x1200 resolution using the 2nd system in my specs. The E8600 is at 4ghz and the card is at 700/1400/1100

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tW0jT0V3D_Q

-Be sure to sign in and select "watch in high quality" :)

Viorel says thanks.
  9. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    The best thing to do, is to not use the -unrestricted commands, but rather setup the game with all your visual quality, but at a lowly resolution, like 800X600, then save it. This means that you're only using a portion of your available memory capacity, that's how the game sees it.

Exit the game.

Setup a command.txt or command line in your executable shortcut, that specifies the resolution you want, i.e. 1920X1200. When you enter the game, it will run at that resolution, and the game will not scale automatically because it still thinks your using resources for 800X600.

This is a better, though more long-winded approach, to using "-unrestricted" variables, because the game will still scale automatically, no matter if a restriction is in place or not.

Never the less, the shadows still look like crap, and the performance isn't impressive.

The worst thing is how the patch broke all controller use, except the Xbox 360; it seriously does seem like a Microsoft sabotage, and I usually don't bite on those types of conspiracies.

10. oli_ramsay

oli_ramsay

Thanks Received:
    Does anyone think they'll every fix the lack of AA? ;_;

11. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    Doubtful Ramsay...at least we know it's not a priority.

Apparently there was an off-comment made by Rockstar regarding something to do with consoles not having DX10, and therefor no AA????

They obviously know DX10 is not a requirement for anti-aliasing, but maybe rather should have expanded to say that because of console limitations, and subsequentley, a bad port job, the PC was not graced with AA.

12. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Playing on desktop in system specs:
    I created the txt file to be able to get into high textures.
    Leaving all other settings the same, I think the fps is quite good considering I'm using 800MB+ vram when my card only has 512MB.

Statistics
    Average FPS: 41.79
    Duration: 37.07 sec
    CPU Usage: 94%
    System memory usage: 48%
    Video memory usage: 100%

Graphics Settings
    Video Mode: 1680 x 1050 (60 Hz)
    Texture Quality: High
    Render Quality: Highest
    View Distance: 34
    Detail Distance: 49

Hardware
    Microsoft® Windows Vista" Home Premium
    Service Pack 1
    Video Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
    Video Driver version: 180.48
    Audio Adapter: Speakers (Creative SB X-Fi)
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz (oc'd to 4.0Ghz)

I really hate the lack of antialiasing though... I'll be checking what happens if I force it through the Nvidia control panel...

I have to read about to see what difference 'view distance' and 'detail distance' make to the game, or try them out myself.

Also, I find it kinda shocking that it uses a whopping 94% CPU power considering it's an E8400 @ 4.0Ghz... even though temperature-wise I'm at a very safe 44 degrees ingame/benchmark max.

Edit: Just read the previous posts on this page --- What do you mean lack of AA?!?!?
    You mean you can't force it in the control panel??? (oh noes!)

13. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It's up to ATi and Nvidia if they can make their cards force AA in the game. There is no AA in the XBox or PS3 versions and I'm quite sure they left it out of the game all together.

14. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    they do that because their hardware cant be upgraded and it degrades performance so low for those consoles that it makes the games run at snail speed. TVs tend to stick to a 60Hz Refresh and it doesn't matter if its the HD tvs or not thats reason console games tend to run better than PC parts because if you have the hardware you can run the PC game at higher Detail and maintain a 60 FPS. Greatest Example for me was Need for Speed Underground on a 15.4 Screen laptop, Running on a 9800 256 Mobility vs XB on a TV, I could pump the Graphics Up to Max without it affecting the PC in Multiplayer. People would walk by and notice how great the game looked on PC and i said that's the advantage the PC has over console.

15. warup89

warup89

Thanks Received:
    I found this on GTA forums, i havent test it yet but it looks pretty nifty

Enable GTA to use system ram for VRAM

source

EDIT:
    btw even though i haven't used this yet I noticed that GTA uses more than half of my 8gb RAM (taking to account this is a 32b app. meaning it fully used 4gb's, not counting OS and the rest)

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  16. Nick89

Nick89

Thanks Received:
    With my 4850 all I get is:

Statistics
    Average FPS: 21.62
    CPU usage: 86%
    System memory usage: 82%
    Video memory usage: 96%

Graphics Settings
    Video Mode: 1280x1024 (60 hz)
    Texture Quality: Medium
    View Distance: 28
    Detail Distance: 60

Using cats 8.12 BTW

My Cpu is over clocked to 3.2ghz and my ram is doing 533mhz(1066Mhz) my 4850 wont OC at all.:shadedshu WTF

I have all my settings WAY lower and I get 15 less FPS? with the same card? WTFH

17. xubidoo New Member

Thanks Received:
    Warup, i did try that myself and found for me at least its pretty much useless as it causes my game to crash after a couple of minutes :(

judging by how much my HD was thrashing it "DOESN'T make normal ram act as vram ,more like makes your pagefile act as vram.

i have 4gb ram and 896 vram ,after enabling that command it let me pick up to 1752 vram and it simply thrashed my hd ,and made the game crash ,b4 it crashed ,my normal ram usage for the game was around 75% usage which is wat i normally get with no switch active.

normally i can play the game for hours with no crashes ,nice idea but for me it just doesnt work.

Statistics
    Average FPS: 49.04
    Duration: 37.19 sec
    CPU Usage: 73%
    System memory usage: 68%
    Video memory usage: 91%

Graphics Settings
    Render Quality: Very High
    View Distance: 32
    Detail Distance: 100

Hardware
    Microsoft® Windows Vista" Ultimate
    Service Pack 1
    Video Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260
    Video Driver version: 180.84
    Audio Adapter: Z-10 (2- Z-10 USB Speaker)
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz @3.2ghz

18. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Your right......it is :laugh:

19. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Cannot quite understand the need for the command line mentioned earlier to free up unused "system" ram as VRam, I though that is what happens in any case if the VRAM is insufficient???

20. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    I thought the game blurred edges so that AA wasn't needed.

21. D3mon_Hunt3r

D3mon_Hunt3r New Member

Thanks Received:
    Not to mention the resolution. I have a 4870X2 and i don't understand it either...

22. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    Wierd I get more fps at 1680 x 1050 and I have a worse card than you :wtf::confused:

23. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Statistics
    Average FPS: 42.19
    Duration: 37.26 sec
    CPU Usage: 95%
    System memory usage: 48%
    Video memory usage: 100%

Graphics Settings
    View Distance: 68
    Detail Distance: 100

Hardware
    Microsoft® Windows Vista" Home Premium
    Service Pack 1
    Video Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
    Video Driver version: 180.48
    Audio Adapter: Speakers (Creative SB X-Fi)
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz

File ID: benchmark.cli

Duh I think I'm giving up on this game for now.

I am running it everything maxed out - view distance 68 and fps 42.19 in the benchmark, and it's milky smooth during gameplay.

I can't understand how people with much better hardware than mine are gettting lower benchmark fps :confused: maybe it's a driver issue? (I'm playing it on the desktop with the single 8800GT 512MB and not with the laptop sli). Maybe the oc'd E8400 helps? I dunno...

What makes me give up for now however (it's otherwise a great game) is the lack of AA. There are so many jaggies I'm not accustomed to that, the game actually makes me dizzy and sick at the stomach - it's like playing a game in the 90's... :ohwell:

I'd much prefer having to put textures on medium rather than high, and at least some AA just to be kinder on my eyes.

Duh I did try to force AA in the Nvidia control panel - tried 2xAA (normally I find that enough for 1680x1050), 4xAA and 8xAA -- no difference at all. I.t. j.u.s.t. d.o.e.s. n.o.t. w.o.r.k.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread just in case someone figures out how to get a decent AA, or maybe a patch comes out, or a Nvidia driver which enables the forcing of AA through the nvidia cp...

I've been thinking of installing the game on the lappie to get rid of the AA issue - I mean the lappie's 1920x1200 and it's only 17" to render those pixels... but I dunno... I wouldn't want to go through the trouble and get crappy graphics again...

The only feedback I can give to this thread is that I discovered that actually putting the shadows on the lowest possible makes them neater for me. Putting them on lowest makes them look like real life shadows, not like a million ants crawling on the floor. Also, pressing P ingame makes the game look neater & softens the far-away jaggies (though not the nearer ones).:(

Tbh, I don't think that the game engine is that great.
    I mean, if I can game at a playable 40+ fps at the above settings, I should have the option to lower some settings and increase AA and still get a playable game. But this is not possible.
    It also makes no sense increasing shadow quality, still get 40+ fps and getting dizzying scurrying ants on the floors rather than proper shadows. I think the shadows are just broken, the same way that self-shadows (on the characters' faces) are broken in Oblivion. Shadows only appear at their best if you lower the slider all the way down.

Edit: I just saw my previous post on this same page - duh so using higher settings give me a higher fps in the benchmark?!? Now that's really something which doesn't make sense....

24. warup89

warup89

Thanks Received:
    seemingly the game prefers quad cores and up, I think since it has to run the physics engine, and all the different kind of IA going around. :ohwell:

25. spearman914

spearman914 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yep. GTA IV is optimized to take the full advantage of quads.