1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gts 250

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by kgreene, Apr 8, 2010.

1. kgreene

kgreene New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was on my computer the other day when a smell came from my computer the smell where plastic is burning I figure out that its one of my gts 250's i took it apart did not notice and burnt marks or anything so i cleaned the heat sink and put it back on and put it back in my computer could have it just got to hot and over headed or what do yall think?

2. crush3r

crush3r New Member

Thanks Received:
    Did it shut itself down/crash? Or did you turn it off when you smelt burning? Could be capacitors going bad on the motherboard or in the psu. If i were you I'd look around the mobo (especially around cpu) and see if you can see any burnt/discoloured bits. An overheating graphics card doesn't usually result in a burning smell in my experience, just crashes.

3. kgreene

kgreene New Member

Thanks Received:
    yea i turned it off when i smelt it gave the motherboard a look over to see if there was anything wrong but i am using it atm with n/p but i'll open my psu though and look but when i took the card out though it had a strong burnt smell coming from it

4. crush3r

crush3r New Member

Thanks Received:
    I really wouldn't recommend opening the PSU unless you know what you're doing, it should be a last resort! The fan on the gfx card could have stopped spinning, or spinning too slow to cool pcb components effectively?

5. kgreene

kgreene New Member

Thanks Received:
    I thinking that's what might have happened because it never speed up or down even while gaming and its suppose to be auto controlled but it was 80F in my room that day as well if the fan had stopped spinning due to any kind of driver issue that can cause it to smell i would think

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010