1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GTS250 and 9800gtx+ non SLI?

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by Black Haru, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Black Haru

Black Haru

Thanks Received:
    OK, so first things first. I just (a few months ago) rebuilt my gaming rig after my mobo and cpu fried. I got a new graphics card as well (GTS250) since i had no way to test weather my old 9800gtx+ was any good or not. So my first question is; is it safe to test it (if it is fried) on my new mobo?
    and that leads into my main question. considering my mobo has 2 PCI express slots (but is NOT SLI ready, only crossfire), would it be beneficial for me to run both cards (say one for PhysX)? I game alot, and lately (BFBC2 Beta) I've been less than satisfied with performance.

any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

2. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    It should be safe to test.

You can use the 9800GTX+ for PhysX, but that is kind of overkill for a PhysX card, and only beneifits games that specifically use PhysX. You can probably flash the 9800GTX+ to a GTS250(or vise versa) though and get both to run in SLI using the hack floating around on the forums.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  3. xrealm20

xrealm20 New Member

Thanks Received:
    +1 to newtekie -- I'd flash the bios on one of the cards to get a matching pair. They are essentially the same card, just a different name -- go figure ;)

And the hack to enable sli on a pre x58 board works well - I'd give that a shot. Can't beat free sli performance upgrade --

4. Black Haru

Black Haru

Thanks Received:
    OK, thanks a lot.

Where would be the cheapest place to get a SLI bridge and a PCIe power adapter? (i may have the power adapter I haven't really looked)

5. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    You can probably pick one up off the buy/sell section here for pretty cheap. I'd ship you off one if I hadn't just gave away my last one.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU