1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GTS250 and 9800gtx+ non SLI?

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by Black Haru, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Black Haru

Black Haru

Thanks Received:
    OK, so first things first. I just (a few months ago) rebuilt my gaming rig after my mobo and cpu fried. I got a new graphics card as well (GTS250) since i had no way to test weather my old 9800gtx+ was any good or not. So my first question is; is it safe to test it (if it is fried) on my new mobo?
    and that leads into my main question. considering my mobo has 2 PCI express slots (but is NOT SLI ready, only crossfire), would it be beneficial for me to run both cards (say one for PhysX)? I game alot, and lately (BFBC2 Beta) I've been less than satisfied with performance.

any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
  2. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    It should be safe to test.

You can use the 9800GTX+ for PhysX, but that is kind of overkill for a PhysX card, and only beneifits games that specifically use PhysX. You can probably flash the 9800GTX+ to a GTS250(or vise versa) though and get both to run in SLI using the hack floating around on the forums.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. xrealm20

xrealm20 New Member

Thanks Received:
    +1 to newtekie -- I'd flash the bios on one of the cards to get a matching pair. They are essentially the same card, just a different name -- go figure ;)

And the hack to enable sli on a pre x58 board works well - I'd give that a shot. Can't beat free sli performance upgrade --
  4. Black Haru

Black Haru

Thanks Received:
    OK, thanks a lot.

Where would be the cheapest place to get a SLI bridge and a PCIe power adapter? (i may have the power adapter I haven't really looked)
  5. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    You can probably pick one up off the buy/sell section here for pretty cheap. I'd ship you off one if I hadn't just gave away my last one.
    Crunching for Team TPU