1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GTX 285 as main GPU + GTX 285 as PhysX

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by VulkanBros, Feb 5, 2010.

1. VulkanBros

VulkanBros

Thanks Received:
    On a AMD chipset driven motherboard - is that possible?

I know that SLI is´nt possible....but is GTX 285 + GTX 285 possible
    (one for main power and one for handling the PhysX),
    AND would that make sense?

I know for sure, that PhysX is taking power/fps out of games when GPU/PhysX is delivered by the same unit.

The question is raised because I can get hands on two Palit GTX 285 2 GB cards (NE3TX285FT345) for the price $200 per card
    ( thats 4 GB of video memory )
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    Should be possible. Since they are both Nvidia cards you wouldn't need the same hack that ATI card owners need.
    VulkanBros says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. ZenZimZaliben

ZenZimZaliben

Thanks Received:
    yes that will work. but what a waste of a gtx285. almost worth getting a new mobo for.
    VulkanBros and angelkiller say thanks.
  4. VulkanBros

VulkanBros

Thanks Received:
    For SLI .... yes .... but I don´t know how it is with SLI and the balancing of main GPU power and PhysX .....
    I would presume that in SLI both cards would be doing PhysX and main GPU work, or ???

The other thing is my CPU....I have had nVidia chipset´s before (590) but they where not good at handling OC on the CPU...so...
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    yes its possible and no it doesnt make sense. its not eorth t like that. may as well get a new board and run sli in sli the physx balnce gets put on the second card i believe. they oc good but not as good as the newer amd one if you must run physx get a GTX260 or lower otherwise its simply a waste of eletricity
    VulkanBros says thanks.
  6. VulkanBros

VulkanBros

Thanks Received:
    Maybe I should take one of my 4890´s out of CF and put in a GTX 285 as PhysX handler......but that would again be stupid...have a card more powerfull than the main GPU just for handling the PhysX....:cry:....but I guess that´s a luxury problem....
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I'd sell one GTX285, and use the cash to buy two lower end cards, a PhysX card for each rig!
    VulkanBros says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  8. Helper

Helper New Member

Thanks Received:
    Are you fine with your HD 4890 CF setup? ATi has recently released Crossfire profiles with Catalyst 10 and over. SLI still has a lot more profiles but Crossfire should be able to come closer on the following months...

200$ for a specially cooled 2 GB GTX 285 is just nuts. Even if you don't use those cards, you can sell one of them from 300$. I would get those cards without even thinking.

Also, that motherboard is actually VERY GOOD at handling OC, at least at it's time it was... anyway if I were you, I would screw Physx. I would buy a Crosshair 2 or an Asus M4N82. Those motherboards OC close to ATi's 790 chipset motherboards. Or I would just switch my P2 940 to the original Crosshair and SLI those cards. Man I have a GTX 285 and I can't even think of it's SLI power. It should be well worth it dude.
    VulkanBros says thanks.
  9. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Are you using anything that you feel you really need a PhysX card for? If you're addicted to a game that uses PhysX and play it all the time, one would think it's worth it. If not, just fold with it, it would be much more productive. If you don't want to add to the electricity bill and don't really need a dedicated PhysX card sell it now before the 4xx series is here.
    VulkanBros says thanks.
  10. ToTTenTranz

ToTTenTranz New Member

Thanks Received:
    What he said.
    That makes sense. Like two 8800GTs or similar.
    VulkanBros says thanks.