1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GTX 295 Mass Flickering

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by random, Apr 19, 2009.

1. random

random

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys,

I noticed this happens with water effects, it happens in crysis wars too when its raining. Can anyone tell me what's going on? Do I need to RMA my card or something. Vantage and all other applications don't have this problem.

[​IMG]
  2. LittleLizard

LittleLizard New Member

Thanks Received:
    Maybe your oc is too much, try downclocking a bit. may be also your psu, i mean, 620 for a hell oced gtx 295+65nm quad oced :shadedshu. If not try newer drivers, or olders :p
    random says thanks.
  3. random

random

Thanks Received:
    Lol I'm trying to avoid upgrading my PSU since I don't really have money right now, so far I've read that gtx 295 with a q6600 is fine with a hx620w but they never mentioned over clock so I'm not sure.

I downclocked the card but it still does it, i guess it looks more like a software problem since it doesn't happen in other games except for crysis.
  4. douglatins

douglatins

Thanks Received:
    My radeonX2 did that too in that game
  5. random

random

Thanks Received:
    does it happen to you with your gtx295 for call of duty 5? cause we're using the same drivers, I might've installed something wrong.
  6. random

random

Thanks Received:
    /bump weird thing....

the flickering in cod 5 is in sync with the electrical buzzing in my gpu everytime i look up at the sky it stops.
  7. random

random

Thanks Received:
    /bump again can anyone advice me weather to RMA or not? I've tried different drivers, sli disabled, completely swiped off drivers with driver sweeper and the problem is still there.

also ran everything at complete stock configs
  8. Binge

Binge Overclocking Surrealism

Thanks Received:
    You need to tell us what programs it will work with, is the card overclocked, and if you get errors durring folding. That looks like texture corruption, which could be bad memory ICs on one of the cards.
    random says thanks.
  9. random

random

Thanks Received:
    Its works with 3d mark vantage no texture corruption whatsoever with any other games. It happens in Crysis and Cod 5 regardless of settings or OC it will have texture corruption when its raining in-game crysis while looking at the ground the reflections from the water are all screwed up and when playing cod 5 the water is just all screwed up as in the picture I posted.

I think you maybe right, there's no way to fix this myself is there?
  10. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Looks like overheating to me. try cooling the top of the card get ya hands on GPU-Z too and record the temps. I would of thought a quality PSU would actually shut off if it was overloaded.

And as some else said try lower clocks too.

EDIT: Some games stress computers differently and Crysis surely stresses the graphics card. A part of NWN 2 MOB did the same were it was ramping up the temps just that bit more.
    random says thanks.
  11. HellasVagabond New Member

Thanks Received:
    The possibility of a bug in that particular game sounds a lot more reasonable to me.
  12. random

random

Thanks Received:
    my temps never pass 65 when im testing the card for texture corruption on both pcbs as I'm running everything completely stock while diagnosing the problem
  13. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    I'd still try cooling the top side of the card with a fan just to see if it stops it or just delays it. But i'd use lower clocks 1st just to be sure that i don't blow the card or even the whole comp and also see if it still did it.
  14. random

random

Thanks Received:
    ok it still does it, even on a fresh boot fan on 100% and my ultra kaze at 3000rpm freezing the back of the card. (Yes my side panel is open)

EDIT: Everything runs normal I don't get it, only cod 5 and crysis showed visible problems that come with the buzzing sound at load. I'm so close to pressing the Warranty Request button :( .. its gonna take forever.
  15. Binge

Thanks Received:
    It wouldn't make sense that no other programs are seeing this problem. I don't see this problem with any of the titles you mentioned so it's hard for me to say there is a problem you can fix because frankly I'm stumped. Can you give the manufacturer a support call? They may offer you the RMA given the situation, and hopefully that solves it. Before getting on their backs though I would try to use different SLI profiles. Tweak the NV control panel a little.
    random says thanks.
  16. random

random

Thanks Received:
    Thanks I'll try that now, the only problem in common that all 3d apps have is the buzzing noise. Cod 5 and Crysis show texture flickering in sync with the buzzes.
  17. Binge

Thanks Received:
    Uhhh... are you sure you don't want to change your PSU? This totally changes everything.
    random says thanks.
  18. random

random

Thanks Received:
    So it may not be my card? :twitch:
  19. Binge

Thanks Received:
    It's entirely a possibility. Can you bring your cpu/ram to stock and see if the problem persists?
    random says thanks.
  20. random

random

Thanks Received:
    Yes, they are in stock right now and the problem still occurs. vcore at stock and ram running at stock latencies with 800mhz.

Hmmmm
  21. HellasVagabond New Member

Thanks Received:
    Cant you borrow a better power supply from a friend to test your system with it ?
  22. Binge

Thanks Received:
    Ok I'm going to check how much my 295 will draw under load. Taking a PSU to the upper 80-90% of it's total output should be able to be done but it also can cause problems.
    random says thanks.
  23. random

random

Thanks Received:
    lol im the only geeky one in my gorup of friends, most of them own 8800gt's at most :/.
  24. Binge

Thanks Received:
    I just did some quick calcs and you are pushing your PSU to past 100%(637W) capacity. Most of it is the Video card, ram, and hard drives.
    random says thanks.
  25. random

random

Thanks Received:
    here's a quick reference for power draw binge.

[​IMG]

Results differ at full OC, all voltages reduce