1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GTX 295 Mass Flickering

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by random, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Binge

Binge Overclocking Surrealism

Thanks Received:
    I understand. I just used a Kill-A-Watt on mine so I know how much it's pulling from the wall at stock under load.

random says thanks.
  2. random

random

Thanks Received:
    Yes most of it would be from video card, ram and hdd.

I got 3 hd's

4 sticks of 2gb ram

and a gtx 295 so those calcs are very accurate, does this mean its time to upgrade PSU? or shall I confirm by getting warranty on my card first.

3. Binge

Thanks Received:
    You're lucky your PSU has not popped yet. Consider the loud noise and texture issues as a warning.

random says thanks.
  4. random

random

Thanks Received:
    Can this PSU still be used? how else can I confirm that its the problem? Lately its been making electrical buzzes as well but only when the lights in the room are turned on as I've moved and this house has an electrical output defect where even my gf's psu buzzes when she has her comp turned on and the room lights.

Bahhh this is such a bummer but I had a hunch it was my PSU I was shopping for a new psu all week but don't have the cash.

EDIT: will this psu be adequet http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_535&products_id=10906

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  5. HellasVagabond New Member

Thanks Received:
  6. Binge

Thanks Received:
    We assume it's the CPU and motherboard first, but you have to consider that he can't deal without them. So I listed GPU, extra ram, and his HDD as the culprits because they put him over the top.

random says thanks.
  7. HellasVagabond New Member

Thanks Received:
    HDDs take a few watts to run, so does the ram. Even if he did not have the extra HDD and Ram he would probably still have problems.

random says thanks.
  8. random

random

Thanks Received:
    I just used the antec and thermaltake psu calcs online... recommends 713 watts or 801 watts for my setup, this is horrific, lol.

7 led high perf fans, 1 pc led light and a cathode with converter took alot of watts too. I guess I'm just lucky that Corsair PSU's are strong bastards huh?

EDIT: how will this do? http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_305&products_id=6885 72A and 850 watts for 235 AUD or should I look at single rail design

Note: need a PSU with fan facing up.

9. Binge

Thanks Received:
    Man... you do the math then. Honestly. Give a better solution but really there are no other components that are putting him over the top. CPU mobo and video card alone take up 478W so what's putting him over the limit? Magic fairy dust?

10. Binge

Thanks Received:
    Honestly I had a fantastic time with my Corsair 750W psu. It could handle the i7, 1 7200rpm HDD, DVDR, 3x1gb sticks of DDR3, and 2x GTX280s.

random says thanks.
  11. random

random

Thanks Received:
    Meh, ok guess its time for me to start making a solution happen I'll probably go with the 850 watt PSU range at sub 200 AUD... the quattro, 850watt corsair, etc. etc.

I'll RMA the card as well but I'm not exactly sure on how long it takes, anyone got any idea how long it processes with GIGABYTE?

Cheers everyone and thanks binge for the calcs and helping me pinpoint the problem, true champ.

12. HellasVagabond New Member

Thanks Received:
    As far as i am concerned CPU/Mainboard/Ram go together and not divided. I expect those to along with the GTX295 to take up to 500W or so. After that you need to consider the fans he has inside his system, USB devices, floppy, optical drives and HDDs.

13. douglatins

douglatins

Thanks Received:
    I lost my copy of the game... :ohwell: