1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GTX 295 Problem

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by Doc41, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Doc41

Doc41

Thanks Received:
    Hello everyone,
    I'm having problems with my card, again ;sigh;

From the beginning, i bought my current PC used and it doesn't look like the previous owner took care of it at all, getting back to the card, at first it was running fine with all games, after a while it started to randomly get stuck,
    as in with a black screen, turning off even as the monitor reports no signal, and not responding with the sound looping the last second it played,

Anyway after about a week it returned to normal then last month it started doing it again, but this time with more games and crashes after 1 minute after running the game.

I tried different drivers" from 270.61 to the latest", tried disabling SLI , different game settings but without luck, so i installed it in my brothers PC and took his "a GTS 250" but its still the same but my pc runs fine now.

I don't think its a power supply issue since mine is 700W and my bro's is 850W and i started to think its a hardware problem, i'm upgrading to a GTX580 soon but i thought it'd be a waste to
    leave that 295 which is more powerful than my bro's GTS 250

I apologize for the long description but it'd be great if that problem is solvable, thanks in advance and again i apologize

Edit:
    Took the card back and ran Furmark for 5 min, nothing happens, ran metro2033, mafia II, just cause 2, skyrim they all run fine but when i ran unreal tournament 2004 it instantly crashed??? it did also with several "older" games,
    but it crashes when my bro plays skyrim on his pc, i have no idea what causes it to.
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. user21

user21 New Member

Thanks Received:
    For how long your using your card now? looks like a lose chip to me.
  3. Doc41

Doc41

Thanks Received:
    As i mentioned i bought it used but, i don't really remember but i know i had it less than a year, six months maybe?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Doc41

Doc41

Thanks Received:
    Bump
    Anyone else have any idea?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    so the card is less than a year too? if yes you could rma it
    btw have you check the temp when full load or theres any unusual with the pcb
  6. d3fct

d3fct

Thanks Received:
    try a slight underclock, then check for stabilty
  7. Doc41

Doc41

Thanks Received:
    Sadly its not under warranty, as for the temps they're normal 46/47 idle and around 70/75 load, depends on game load and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the PCB.

forgot to mention this but when i received the PC a cable from the front panel header seemed like it was shorted with something and the wire melted a bit" audio cable i think", strangely so
    does the reset button wire as it wasn't working, do you think this has something to do with the card acting up :confused:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. user21

user21 New Member

Thanks Received:
    your casing might be short but it has nothing to do with the card yet if its used dissemble it clean it and reinstall it test it with latest drivers...
  9. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    what about the card contact area? is that clean? no dust there? or theres err on your pciex slot
    btw does the card act normal on other pc?
  10. Doc41

Doc41

Thanks Received:
    i clean my PC about every month "we get alot of dust storms so it gets dusty quickly" so its pretty clean now, and no i tried it with my brothers PC and it still crashes
    so i believe the card is faulty and its not a driver problem

Edit: also tried it on different pcie slot, still the same
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    card is clean, temperatures are good, tried different drivers, tried using card in a different computer with more than enough power supply.

Sounds to me like you have a dieing card. You might can try "cooking" the card. If the problem is a bad soder point, "cooking" can fix that. Here's the thread from when I used the oven trick to bring back a 8800gt- http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112815&highlight=oven trick

USE THE OVEN TRICK AT YOUR OWN RISK
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. Doc41

Doc41

Thanks Received:
    i looked around and saw a gpu-z shot of your 8800gt and its a BFG... starting to think all BFG cards are faulty,
    anyway would a heat gun and some flux do the trick just like the oven because i have them laying around and just used those on a ps3 ylod
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    in this case i guess it wont, heat gun just heating one point but oven heating the whole card
  14. robn

robn New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes a heat gun + soldering flux would be even better. At least for trying the GPU chip first, as that's where the problems lie most times.
  15. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Im trying to recall if the 200 series suffered from the weak non lead solder as many gf cards reported having that issue. From sounds. Its time for an upgrade. Grab a 6870, 6950,6970, 7850, 7870, 7950, 7970 or a 560 ti, 580, 670, 680.

User21 shorting on case would prevent machine from booting card or machine at all for that matter.
  16. Doc41

Doc41

Thanks Received:
    Thanks everyone for the reply's, i guess i'll be trying with my heat gun first, and if that didn't work i have a backup 9800gt until the GTX 580 i ordered arrives.

If it works good news to my brother and if it didn't doesn't matter anyway.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  17. Doc41

Doc41

Thanks Received:
    Now i know the crashes are not game specific, after heating it and installing it i ran 3Dmark vantage, metro2033 and NFS MW, all went fine until it crashed on unreal tournament 04,
    after restart i turned off SLI for it and ran it again and it works, turned SLI back on and still works, but it crashed when i ran NFS MW again.
    i give up on this card as it seems that nothing will fix it and will just wait for that 580,
    so thank you all for your help.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  18. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    card is TOAST
    either that or you got to crazy with the heatgun
    slow circular motions around the GPU die keep it about 2 to 3 inchs for the top of the chip (depending on how hot your gun is )
    do it for about 30 or 40 seconds then STOP and lay the card down carefully and let it cool
    make sure you FAB Up some kind of shield to protect everything else around the GPU Core
    I used aluminium foil helps conduct the heat and protects the rest of the card flux also helps but beware it burns easily
  19. Doc41

Doc41

Thanks Received:
    I did it as you described, nothing changed the card was just like before i did it
    Crunching for Team TPU
  20. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    HES DEAD JIM
    :eek::cry:
  21. Doc41

Doc41

Thanks Received:
    XD, unless you're not playing games the card is fine, but if it just didn't consume so much power at idle i would have used it for my home server or for another pc
    Crunching for Team TPU