1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GTX 295 "The barrier of dust on your heatsink " strikes again

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by Animalpak, May 10, 2009.

1. Animalpak

Animalpak

Thanks Received:
    Hi guys

Do you remember my old post of my 8800 Ultra with the problem of temperature due to the barrier of dust that had formed on the heatsink ?

I had washed and cleaned the heatsink also changing the thermal paste with the noctua NT H1 and my Ultra is like brand new with exceptional low temperatures.

Here's the thing that is repeated with my current GTX 295 strangely with fan at 100% and a good ventilation of my case the temperatures stay almost 95 degrees while gaming ( Crysis Wars, FEAR 2).

Disassembling then ...

I have dust filters fitted and I have this card from February I think it strange that have already formed a barrier of dust... :(:shadedshu

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  2. Animalpak

Animalpak

Thanks Received:
    washed and cleaned the heatsink also changing the thermal paste with the noctua NT H1 ( as I did with the ultra )

Temps now are freakin fine, 47 - 45 degress GPU 1 and GPU 2, fan set at 45 %

Attached Files:

3. kyle2020 Guest

A. Get rid of your furry pets.

B. Move your case off the floor - I have done tonight due to dust build up, nothing as extreme as that though :eek:

c. Clean your room as much as you can! Mine gets vacuumed + polished 2 - 3 times a week!
  4. Animalpak

Animalpak

Thanks Received:

I do not have animals at home but I live near a big park is so much dust in my room.

Ok i Remove the pc from the floor and i start to clean my room more often, ( I hope to find more time to do it )

thanks for advice kyle :)
  5. Muhad

Muhad

Thanks Received:
    If computer is on the floor maybe it should sit on top of something.
  6. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    Dang man, no offense but that is a lot of dust. My PC won't collect that much dust in like two years. Does your pc intake fans have filters on them? That might help.
  7. [I.R.A]_FBi

[I.R.A]_FBi New Member

Thanks Received:
    i too have the same problem
  8. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    Imo this is why water cooling is better.The dust collects on my hooverable radiators rather than having to remove my card and cpu fan all the time to clean them.
  9. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Damn, that is a lot of dust. My computer sits on a carpetted floor, with 5 dogs running around, and it doesn't collect that much dust in 6 months.

IMO, from looking at the pics of your rig, your case has too many open holes. Specifically the open PCI slots in the caes, and the huge open area next to the expansion slots. Those are going to pull in so much dust into the graphics card area, I would either close them up, or try putting some kind of filter over them.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  10. h3llb3nd4

h3llb3nd4 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Try and get more fans blowing in:)
    and put the Sidepanels back on
  11. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    mines set up that way and doesn't have that much dust in it. hell the side panel has been off for 2 months and i have no dust
  12. h3llb3nd4

h3llb3nd4 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I suppose there is static electricity on your carpets!!
  13. Animalpak

Animalpak

Thanks Received:
    i do this yes.

I know is it, yes it have filters. Dunno why collect that much dust. :confused:

Yes watercooling is better but expensive. And if you dont want to spend alot of money in it, the low cost waterblocks make the same results as the high end air cooling coolers.

I made myself the huge open area next to expansion slots because for the warm air can go out of the case, if you see the GTX 295 blow out the hot air exactly in that area, i gain like 5 degrees minus with that hole.

Maybe i can just put some filters as you said.
  14. Elijah86

Elijah86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I went to Home Depot and picked up a 8 gallon air compressor that chills in my garage untill I need it. That thing will strip the dust off anything. Just don't point it at any caps with 120psi I blew a cap right off a old ECS mobo (maybe it was for the better) lol
  15. DragonNote New Member

Thanks Received:
    Computers are nothing more than glorified air filters. Even with most fan filters they don't block white dust. If you live in an area where there is dirt anywhere (good luck) It will get in your house and eventually into your computer. Use too dense of a filter and you kill your CFM. Use off the shelf filters and well they'll block tumbleweeds from getting in but thats about it. I got filters with my two old Antec towers that worked okay.. but like others have posted, I clean the room more..get my tower(s) off the floor. I still check them often for dust though.. I have been building/repairing systems since 1980 and have seen computers killed by dust, dander, and pet fur more than any other reason...
  16. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    High rotational speeds combined with tight spacing usually collect more dust, aka your 8800 and the 295, if you dont keep them clean they will die very quick, i clean my machine once a month.
  17. OnBoard

OnBoard New Member

Thanks Received:
    Get a card where you can stick an aftermarket cooler with a bigger fin spacing, easier than cleaning all the time :p
  18. Animalpak

Animalpak

Thanks Received:
    True.

Yes the new GTX 295 with single PCB can be the deal for me.
  19. pepsi71ocean New Member

Thanks Received:
    with all of the air movement that our air cooled PC's need, wouldn't it be easier to move to the automotive air filters?

get a 6637 and stick it on the front of the case and use a turbo housing to draw air into the case, and let it exhaust out everywhere else due to a inbalence of the pressure.
  20. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    thats more dust than my cards ever get in years of use.
  21. Assassin48 New Member

Thanks Received:
    good thing i am on water
    plus use dust filters they help ( thats if your side pannels are closed )

hows your fan setup?
  22. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    aslong as temperatures remain below a certain threshold stock.
  23. pepsi71ocean New Member

Thanks Received:
    +1 Ive heard of issues with the 295's and heat. But i think 295 owners would do more help
  24. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    well to get to the point, the card was designed like the 9800GX2 and 7950GX2 for the reason of they dont know the thermal output of the cards if the chips were on the same PCB. Just remember a PCB also acts as a heatspreader, but now with the 295 moving to a single PCB, will the board be that much hotter than the standard 295. I know they are moving to cut costs and also reduce overall complexity of the board (more complex the more there is to fail like the connector in the center of the standard 295, plus the more expensive they are to produce- thus additional overhead gets passed on to the consumers and makes the products not the best deal on the planet)
  25. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm sure radiator fins require dust-cleaning too :)