1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

gtx 460 cyclone cooling

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by subhendu, Sep 21, 2010.

1. subhendu

subhendu New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi,
    Tomorrow I will get my MSI gtx 460 1gb cyclone oc edition from shop...checked some reviews ...found that there is no heatsink for GDDR5 memory modules ...Have some doubts

1)Is there any options to improve cooling of memory modules?
    2)can I downclock GPU to stock values ?
    I am not planning to overclock ...I just want to use this card for 3 or 4 years..thats all..
    Expecting your advices .... thanks

2. slyfox2151

slyfox2151

Thanks Received:
    card will be fine how it is.. no need to downclock.. the warrenty covers it.

yes you can downclock it if you REALLY WANTED TO for no reson what so ever....

subhendu says thanks.
  3. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    1: There is plenty of options if you want to cool your GDDR5 memory modules

Something like these 'Zalman ZM-RHS1's
    [​IMG]

But there are also plenty of other style's around too!

2:The clock's' downclock themself's, when at idle the GPU will simple lower the clocks to help save power :D

If your not wanting to overclock you have nothing to worry about, I've overclocked my card (GTX 460 Cyclone) and I wasn't concerned about the temperature's at all, the GPU itself doesn't even reach 65 degrees C when under full load with an overclock as mentioned.

Something I had pointed out to me when I got my card.... GDDR5 has been around for quite a few years now, the heat/problems what was there to start with have been ironed out very well! The main thing to be concerned about would be the VRM/voltage regulators, but again if your not planning to overclock it isn't anything to worry about :toast:

subhendu says thanks.
  4. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Not sure if you would be able to squeeze those little ramsinks on the card with that cooler in the way. From the looks of it it might be possible, and, in fact, very effective, but looks can be decieving.

No need to underclock your card. It can handle it. We at TPU are constantly pushing things beyond spec, and, at least in my case, stuff only blows up when someone does something stupid. There's very little harm in overclocking your GPU to the limits, let alone whatever minimal boost MSI worked into it. Like slyfox said, it's covered by warranty, and most likely your card is going to spend most of it's life idle anyway, and when it's idle it downclocks itself pretty far (my GTX260 goes down to 300 core, 600 shader, and 200 memory), even further saving on the power draw and heat output, thus extending the life of the card. Even overclocked to the limits and folding 24/7 I'm pretty sure it would last your 4 years.

subhendu says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. gvblake22

gvblake22

Thanks Received:
    I've used those Zalman chip heatsinks with good success. I second that recommendation, but you can also check out similar quality offerings from Swiftech and Enzotech.

subhendu says thanks.