1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GTX 465: Step-Up to GTX 460?

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by Spunky, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Spunky

Spunky New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, I should start by saying I absolutely adore my GTX 465. It maxes out every game no problem, nothing can bring it lower than 40 frames so far. But my room is a fucking oven now. I have to open my windows and bedroom door or I'm afraid my face is going to melt. I've already missed the window for the extended warranty and the heat is kind of worrying me. I don't want the card to melt or something. Is it worth stepping up to a GTX 460? I still have over a month left to do so. I already submitted the form to EVGA, just waiting to hear back.
  2. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    isnt that actually a step down or at the least sideways?

I would look into an aftermarket cooler for the 465 maybe.
  3. mad1394

mad1394 New Member

Thanks Received:
    It really is a step sideways. But I thought after market coolers aim to cooldown the video card not the user! :confused:
  4. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    well in the OP the card is melting his face, a cooler card will give him a gentle tan:roll:

I have 470's and I agree it can be hot, especially this time of year, to sit near them.

Cheap fixes on the fly:

Move your case location.
    Turn the case 180 degrees.
    Fan for the room to redirect the exhaust.
    Move to Alaska (I'm kidding here)

I cant argue that the 460 isn't going to be cooler, but unless they were paying me to take the 460 I think I would pass.
  5. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    What are you doing with the computer most of the time? Is it sitting idle, or are you usually playing games most of the time the computer is on?

Really, sitting idle you are only looking to save about 15w of power/heat, which isn't going to make a huge difference in room temperature. Even at load you are only looking at about 30w, which really isn't going to make a huge difference either.

If you are using your GTX465 at stock speeds, then you can try lowering the core voltage some, I've found my GTX470 is easily stable at stock clock speeds at lower voltage, so I ran it undervolted most of this summer.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  6. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    I am 99.9999999% sure that they won't let you do that.
  7. Spunky

Spunky New Member

Thanks Received:
    The 460 also performs better and uses less power in pretty much every benchmark I've seen. I'm primarily annoyed by the heat and the fact that the 460 hit Newegg the day after I ordered the 465... That's why I'm hoping they'll let me step up. Newegg isn't even going to carry the 465 much longer. I love it to death, but I'm worried the warranty isn't long enough, and I already missed the window for the extended warranty (which I originally assumed was the warranty it ships with thanks to Newegg not telling me :().
  8. wolf

wolf Performance Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    face melting gfx, I like that.

A 460 is a decent step sideways for heat reasons and overclockability, but who knows whether they'll let you "downgrade"

also, have you tried using MSI Afterburner to boost the fan profile to be a bit more agressive? that way it will whip air out at 65 degrees instead of trickling air out at 80.
  9. Spunky

Spunky New Member

Thanks Received:
    I bought an aftermarket cooler for my CPU not because of heat issues, but because of noise. I don't want my case to sound like a jet engine again. x_x
  10. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Wait, if your GTX465 doesn't have a lifetime warranty, then it isn't step-up eligiable anyway...

As as mentioned, I don't even think they will let you "step-up" to the GTX460.

From their Step-Up FAQ:
    Besides that, the GTX465 and GTX460 perform virtually identical overall, so no the GTX460 doesn't perform better than the GTX465.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  11. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    yeah evga will not let you step down. only up to a 470/480 but you will be hotter. also evga cards that are stepupable ave a different serial number code on them i dont remeber what though
  12. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    My friends gtx295 just bit the dust. EVGA didn't send him another GTX295.. but they did send him a GTX285. I know that is not "step-up". I figured i would just share..:roll:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. Jeffredo

Jeffredo

Thanks Received:
    The GTX 460 1GB only uses about 20W-30W more in most circumstances vs. the GTX 465. That's about like a little bitty light bulb burning. I doubt its going to help your heat situation in the room that much.
  14. {JNT}Raptor

{JNT}Raptor New Member

Thanks Received:
    Then your friend got taken by EVGA....no way he should have accepted that deal....don't get me wrong...I have the GTX 285 and it's a great card still.....but I would not accept it to replace a GTX 295...your friend got ripped off.

They should have sent him at LEAST a 470..maybe even the 480.....If this is true...then EVGA just lost any future sales to me..... :cry:
  15. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    Stock for stock clocks it is more of a step sideways. The only thing you would gain by doing it is probably betters temps and more overclocking head room. So in essence you might be able to clock yourself up to a GTX 470 or higher level. Which a GTX 465 really can't do it.

Also ... with news cards coming out right around the corner... I would wait. You got the 6000 series releasing soon (Which a 6830 or 6770 ) Will probably more performance for the same price you bought your GTX 465 for. Also the GTX 475's and possibly a GTX 495 will be releasing soon too.

With all the stuff coming very shortly on the horizon... I think you could save that more for something else that would be a better upgrade choice in the future.

But from someone who owns a couple of GTX 460's I can tell you that if you decide to do that Step up anyway's You would not be disappointed bud :)