• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GTX 470 Owners

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Here is the EK FC-470 I jut installed. I put it to some hard core testing last night. The most came from some real time rendering and the Cuda toolbox. It pretty much evened things out with the i7 and never got over 40c. I also played a few hours for BBC2 everything maxed except 32xAA, still never over 45c.

My conclusion is, on a loop with 1 BlackIce Xtreme III, my i7 and 470 extremely stressed are cooler then idol on air cooling. :rolleyes: That's cold when it's 100°f outside.

http://i974.photobucket.com/albums/ae223/pickles24_2009/ekfc470.jpg
Thats encouraging news. I bought a PA 120.2 to add into my loop to keep my i7 860 (4.2Ghz with HT) and this thing cool.

System Name Apple Bite
Processor Intel I5
Motherboard Apple
Memory 40gb of DDR 4 2700
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon 500
Storage Fusion Drive 1 TB
Display(s) 27 Inch IMac late 2017
Anyone know is A/C coming out with an Accelerro for this bad boy.

Pickles24

System Name El Niño
Processor i7 920 d0
Motherboard GIGABYTE x58A-ud7 | f7w
Cooling Duniek GTZ | BlackIce Xtreme III
Memory 6x2g OCZ Obsidian 1600
Video Card(s) GTX 470 | EK FC470
Storage 2x Western Digital 500gig
Display(s) Acer G245Hbmid Black 24"
Case Obsidian 800D
Power Supply Antec Quattro 1000W
Software Linux Mint 9 | Win 7 x64
I agree, at least the stock fan/shroud sends the majority to the rear of the case. My NB sits atop the 470 and soared +20c on air, I can't imagine how high it would get if the heat was blowing up on it.

System Name Boomer Master Race
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7735HS APU
Motherboard BareBones Mini PC MB
Cooling Mini PC Cooling
Memory Crucial 32GB 4800MHz
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 680M 8GB IGPU
Storage Crucial 500GB M.2 SSD + 2TB Ext HDD
Display(s) Sony 4K Bravia X85J 43Inch TV 120Hz
Case Beelink Mini PC Chassis
Audio Device(s) Built In Realtek Digital Audio HD
Power Supply 120w Power Brick
Mouse Logitech G203 Lightsync
Keyboard Atrix RGB Slim Keyboard
VR HMD ( ◔ ʖ̯ ◔ )
Software Windows 10 Home 64bit
Benchmark Scores Don't do them anymore.
Has EVGA started selling the GTX 480's & GTX 470's with backplates yet? :D

System Name Apple Bite
Processor Intel I5
Motherboard Apple
You want 220W of heat dump inside your case...?

Never said that and A/C has made full cover video card heatsinks that dumped the heat out the rear of the case in the past.

I agree, at least the stock fan/shroud sends the majority to the rear of the case. My NB sits atop the 470 and soared +20c on air, I can't imagine how high it would get if the heat was blowing up on it.

Again never said I wanted this.

Sorry man, you said Accelerro which dumps heat inside the case (S1, S2, X1, etc)...since that is what you posted, that is how I took it. ;)
Anyone know is A/C coming out with an Accelerro for this bad boy.

Never said that and A/C has made full cover video card heatsinks that dumped the heat out the rear of the case in the past.
If they did, it was a while ago as what they list now dumps straight into the case.

http://www.arctic-cooling.com/catalog/main.php?cPath=2

System Name Apple Bite
Processor Intel I5
Motherboard Apple
Sorry man, you said Accelerro which dumps heat inside the case (S1, S2, X1, etc)...since that is what you posted, that is how I took it. ;)

If they did, it was a while ago as what they list now dumps straight into the case.

Which from experience causes zero trouble with a decent case and a good cpu cooler which we all have. Still I would like it to empty out of the case but since A/C is one of the top cooling companies in the world I'm sure they can figure it out. Heck a Toxic 5970,( which is heavely overclocked), has zero trouble with two gpus and 4gb of ram. It has a Accelero strapped to it http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?psn=0001&pid=340 . I would think it throws the same amount of heat if not more than a 470 gtx. P.S nice to have on TPU :D

Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
I think GPU coolers that Exhaust out the case are overrated nowadays, I hear way too many complaints about the coolers being so noisy, perhaps it is case acoustics making them sound louder then they truly are?

Pickles24

System Name El Niño
Processor i7 920 d0
Motherboard GIGABYTE x58A-ud7 | f7w
Cooling Duniek GTZ | BlackIce Xtreme III
Memory 6x2g OCZ Obsidian 1600
Video Card(s) GTX 470 | EK FC470
Storage 2x Western Digital 500gig
Display(s) Acer G245Hbmid Black 24"
Case Obsidian 800D
Power Supply Antec Quattro 1000W
Software Linux Mint 9 | Win 7 x64
@trt740
It's all just opinion.. I had an accellero on a 8800 gts that saved the card 2-3 years. I JUST DON'T KNOW how efficient it would be on a 470 in tight quarters.. besides that what did you mean with your PM? Member for a day, nice to have you at TPU?? Is this in reference to the fact that I have only been a member since Dec 2009? I believe I had some 30 years of knowledge before I joined TPU. I have been taking apart cpu's since the days of cassette tape drives and 1200 bit modems... I believe my opinion is legit. :slap:

Last edited:
Which from experience causes zero trouble with a decent case and a good cpu cooler which we all have. Still I would like it to empty out of the case but since A/C is one of the top cooling companies in the world I'm sure they can figure it out. Heck a Toxic 5970,( which is heavely overclocked), has zero trouble with two gpus and 4gb of ram. It has a Accelero strapped to it http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?psn=0001&pid=340 . I would think it throws the same amount of heat if not more than a 470 gtx. P.S nice to have on TPU :D
Right. Not everyone has a decent case. Not everyone wants 220W+ of heat dump inside their case.

Like someone said, its an opinion. I dont want 200W of heat dump inside my case (Obsidian 800d which does not have Antec 1200 like airflow). If I used that, it would likely raise my loop temps a signficant amount..so yeah, I DONT WANT 200W OF HEAT DUMP INSIDE MY CASE regardless of what case it is, temps will be affected noteably.

Last edited:
System Name Apple Bite
Processor Intel I5
Motherboard Apple
Right. Not everyone has a decent case. Not everyone wants 220W+ of heat dump inside their case.

Like someone said, its an opinion. I dont want 200W of heat dump inside my case (Obsidian 800d which does not have Antec 1200 like airflow). If I used that, it would likely raise my loop temps a signficant amount..so yeah, I DONT WANT 200W OF HEAT DUMP INSIDE MY CASE regardless of what case it is, temps will be affected noteably.

Uh no they won't with a good heatsink. Just as people with sli rigs and crossfire riggs don't have a issue. I haven't ever seen my CPU temp rise because of a gpu and I have had just about every combo there is. If your case is decent , you have good air flow, and have a decent modern cpu cooler your Cpu won't be effected. Your case temps may rise in the area of your video card but thats not a issue because with just about any powerful video that will happen. Your intitle to your opinion your just missing out on some great cooler and hopefully A/C will make one for the 470 gtx.

Earth Dog your case has more than enough cooling to handle any video card that would exhaust in your case. http://www.corsair.com/products/800d/default.aspx This case has great air flow. Corsair Obsidian Series 800D CC800DW Black Aluminu... Very very nice case.
Cooling System
140mm Fans 3 x 140mm fans

Last edited:
I guess our definitions differ on what 'great airflow' in a case is. I used to own an Antec 900 and Antec 1200 prior to the Obsidian. While the airflow isnt bad, its not an Anty 900/1200 where you would see less of a change in case and CPU temps vs mine. It literally has one 140mm intake... not optimal with all that exhaust.

See the conclusion paragraph in my review: http://www.overclockers.com/corsair-obsidian-800d-case-review/

Hell, just installing the 470 from GTX 260 216 and GTX 285, the case temps went up about 2-3C compared to both setups (which exhausted out side the case for ALL cards). My CPU temps went up about the same as well. So going from Anty 1200 to Obsidian was 2C temp difference, and then adding the card was another 2C on top of that for my CPU and thats WITH GPUs that exhaust outside the case. If I get all that heatdump inside my case, I assure you my temps will go up even more on other components. While that may not be troublesome to you, I benchmark and every degree C my CPU or system is cooler, usually translates to higher or more stable overclocks. So it matters to a lot of enthusiasts.

Again, its my personal opinion that I wouldnt want 200W of heat dump inside my case as regardless with any case really, all temps will go up. To deny that fact is just, well, Sillyness (sorry, its just that obvious to me).

While Im sure they are good coolers (I had one on my old X1950pro AGP IIRC), its not optimal to have so much heat dumped inside a case. You will undoubtedly affect other temps. Undoubtedly. And while you are right this wont be harmful to most system, every C counts for some, like me.

Im cooling the 470 with water and another radiator come this weekend anyway.. :)

But I digress. Thats not what this thread is about really. So lets just agree to disagree and move forward. :)

Its peculiar that your experience differs from the majority and frankly goes against the laws of thermodynamics....

Last edited:
System Name Apple Bite
Processor Intel I5
Motherboard Apple
I guess our definitions differ on what 'great airflow' in a case is. I used to own an Antec 900 and Antec 1200 prior to the Obsidian. While the airflow isnt bad, its not an Anty 900/1200 where you would see less of a change in case and CPU temps vs mine. It literally has one 140mm intake... not optimal with all that exhaust.

See the conclusion paragraph in my review: http://www.overclockers.com/corsair-obsidian-800d-case-review/

Hell, just installing the 470 from GTX 260 216 and GTX 285, the case temps went up about 2-3C compared to both setups (which exhausted out side the case for ALL cards). My CPU temps went up about the same as well. So going from Anty 1200 to Obsidian was 2C temp difference, and then adding the card was another 2C on top of that for my CPU and thats WITH GPUs that exhaust outside the case. If I get all that heatdump inside my case, I assure you my temps will go up even more on other components. While that may not be troublesome to you, I benchmark and every degree C my CPU or system is cooler, usually translates to higher or more stable overclocks. So it matters to a lot of enthusiasts.

Again, its my personal opinion that I wouldnt want 200W of heat dump inside my case as regardless with any case really, all temps will go up. To deny that fact is just, well, Sillyness (sorry, its just that obvious to me). I'm sure it will be a bit different with only one gpu but maybe a 465 x2 will be coming like Galaxy promises.

While Im sure they are good coolers (I had one on my old X1950pro AGP IIRC), its not optimal to have so much heat dumped inside a case. You will undoubtedly affect other temps. Undoubtedly. And while you are right this wont be harmful to most system, every C counts for some, like me.

Im cooling the 470 with water and another radiator come this weekend anyway.. :)

But I digress. Thats not what this thread is about really. So lets just agree to disagree and move forward. :)

Its peculiar that your experience differs from the majority and frankly goes against the laws of thermodynamics....

I have good air flow that wisks the air away and heat doesn't build in my case unless I would run lenthy gpu stressing programs like occt, but in day to day use it's not a issue at all. Also if you think that heats bad what about this in your case it dumps inside aswell and I'm betting a 400 gtx series cooler from Asus is coming (Rog Matrix 480/470 etc....) http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/ARES/4.html

Last edited:
I dont understand your point above. Who cares about that product. It will plauge a case with the same issues as we talked about already.

I, and many others, simply prefer not to dump the heat inside the case for best temps. Its just that simple. Its nothing against AC or anyone's products, its just a perference, and with good reason, for a lot of people. ;)

Please, lets move on already. :)

Last edited:
FUNNY.... if you are a 'benchmarker' (whatever that is, as opposed to ... maybe a 'tester/reviewer'?)
why don't you have an open case or a proper testbed...
I have been following this argument, and read about more than one 'open' GPU cooler (be it AC or other) and most get excellent reviews, and for sure excellent noise reviews.

At the end of the day, noise would be a decisive aspect, much more than a little heat, in an everyday 'office' computer environment...

I am waiting for Artric Cooling for the 470, you not, alright. But I believe that compared to the stock 'exhaust' cooling solutions, with an open PCB cooling, the very PCB, and the mainboard, will be cooler.

FUNNY.... if you are a 'benchmarker' (whatever that is, as opposed to ... maybe a 'tester/reviewer'?)
why don't you have an open case or a proper testbed...
I have been following this argument, and read about more than one 'open' GPU cooler (be it AC or other) and most get excellent reviews, and for sure excellent noise reviews
First, I dont appreciate the thinly veiled attack on my review...Im not a formal reviewer/professional writer thats just something I do for fun on a different website. I push my hardware to its limits which causes even MORE heat on all overclocked components. Im not sure what a proper testbed or an open case would accomplish within this context considering I keep the side closed anyway. The Obsidian is my 24/7 PC with some benching. Not to mention, the ambient temps were exactly the same for all my testing. I mean seriously, why the heck would you attack me and my credibility like that?

At the end of the day, noise would be a decisive aspect, much more than a little heat, in an everyday 'office' computer environment...
As far as excellent reviews, erixx, please pay closer attention to the conversation you claimed to have been following. Nobody ever mentioned performance or noise, at least I didnt. My only talking point was about the heat dump inside the case compared to a cooler that exhausts outside the case. Im not sure where an office computer comes into play either as they wouldnt or shouldnt even have a nice GPU in most cases (unless CAD or rendering) and they would run with stock cooling solutions for warranty purposes anyway. As far as a regular use computer the ONLY reason to change from stock would be noise. But........again.........I mentioned the fact that this would effect the enthusiast crowd more so than mom and dad user.

I am waiting for Artric Cooling for the 470, you not, alright. But I believe that compared to the stock 'exhaust' cooling solutions, with an open PCB cooling, the very PCB, and the mainboard, will be cooler
Again erixx, NOBODY IS DENYING THE FACT THAT IT WILL PERFORM BETTER THAN THE STOCK COOLER...

EDIT: Please all, really... this is my opinion that I feel many others like me may share. So lets stop the back and forth over an opinion.

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
I have no problems with discussion. Even discussion that is a bit "heated" is fine. I do have a problem when the discussion of computer hardware turns personal or when the discussion moves towards any other member. Please keep this in mind while having your discussion. Keep it civil, respectful and appropriate to the forums. Also, keep the discussion on topic. This post is not on topic and is to remind you to keep your cool so there is no need to follow up with this post. Again, keep on topic.

Thank you.

System Name Thought I'd be done with this by now
Processor i7 11700k 8/16
Motherboard MSI Z590 Pro Wifi
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, 9x aigo AR12
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ Neo DDR4-4000 CL18-22-22-42
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 2x Geforce RTX 3070
Storage 1TB MX300 M.2 OS + Games, + cloud mostly
Display(s) Samsung 40" 4k (TV)
Case Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic EVO Black
Audio Device(s) onboard HD -> Yamaha 5.1
Power Supply EVGA 850 GQ
Mouse Logitech wireless
Keyboard same
VR HMD nah
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores no one cares anymore lols
EDIT: Please all, really... this is my opinion that I feel many others like me may share. So lets stop the back and forth over an opinion.

just an fyi you're completely failing at the above argument when you insist on responding to and attempting to refute every single remark.

as it were I see no issues with a 470's or any card's heat exhausting into the case as all my cases have fans to redirect this air flow. and really I cannot see expecting a performance gain as large as there is between a gtx260 and a gtx470 and then not expecting case temps to go up at all.

between my palit 9600gt and evga gtx295ftw edition I did see an increase in case temps, a mere 1-2c but it's there, considering that the 295 is 4times as fast as the 9600... I think it's well warranted lol.

for the gtx470 I'd welcome any cooler that reduces heat of the gpu, it's my job from there to take care of case airflow, not the gpu's. after all if you buy a new engine, it's not going to come with a new exaust system, after it leaves the exhaust manifold (which won't come with certain crate engines even) the exhaust is up to you. Same principle here.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
The Last time I bought a Non Stock cooler was for a Radeon 9700 Pro AIW, till I killed it accidentally and then had it replaced with a 9800 Pro AIW. That cooler was the VGA Silencer Rev 3, I used AS5 with it, I also used BGA Ramsinks which had double sided thermal tape on them.

I think in my head i could develop a different means of cooling design for video cards.

Sorry if I misunderstood you Earthdog or made misleading statements, I didn't want to upset you, rather simply use your argument impersonally as an example of a minority point of view.

Anyway, on topic, there are some reviews with stock cooling alternatives for the 480/470... Palit, Zotac... we should be talking about them...

the aparently A-C cooler (denied by the builder) received a positive review, and the Zotac with the Zalman resulted in being very noisy and not so great. If I recall correctly.

Cooling Mini PC Cooling
VR HMD ( ◔ ʖ̯ ◔ )
Soooo... no one knows when EVGA will started selling the GTX 480's & GTX 470's with backplates yet or separately even?

System Name Big Devil
Processor Intel Core i5-2500K
Motherboard ECS P67H2-A2
Cooling XSPC Rasa | Black Ice GT Stealth 240 | XSPC X2O 750 | 2x ACF12PWM | PrimoChill White 7/16"
Memory 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance LP Arctic White 1600MHz CL9
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 780 ACX SC
Storage Intel 520 Series 180GB + WD 1TB Blue
Display(s) HP ZR30W 30" 2650x1600 IPS
Case Corsair 600T SE
Audio Device(s) Xonar Essence STX | Sennheisser PC350 "Hero" Modded | Corsair SP2500
Power Supply ABS SL 1050W (Enermax Revolution Rebadge)
Software Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/ Media Center
Benchmark Scores Ducky Year of the Snake w/ Cherry MX Browns & Year of the Tiger PBT Keycaps | Razer Deathadder Black
Cooling Mini PC Cooling
VR HMD ( ◔ ʖ̯ ◔ )
System Name Big Devil
Processor Intel Core i5-2500K
Motherboard ECS P67H2-A2
Cooling XSPC Rasa | Black Ice GT Stealth 240 | XSPC X2O 750 | 2x ACF12PWM | PrimoChill White 7/16"
Memory 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance LP Arctic White 1600MHz CL9
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 780 ACX SC
Storage Intel 520 Series 180GB + WD 1TB Blue
Display(s) HP ZR30W 30" 2650x1600 IPS
Case Corsair 600T SE
Audio Device(s) Xonar Essence STX | Sennheisser PC350 "Hero" Modded | Corsair SP2500
Power Supply ABS SL 1050W (Enermax Revolution Rebadge)
Software Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/ Media Center
Benchmark Scores Ducky Year of the Snake w/ Cherry MX Browns & Year of the Tiger PBT Keycaps | Razer Deathadder Black
No prob. They've also got the backplates themselves.