1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GTX 560 going bad?

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by Relinquish, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Relinquish New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well I was looking for some opinions on this.

Basically I was testing Win 8 and all of a sudden this happened (twice I might add) while I was on the desktop:

[YT]VjwRPmd8eTQ&feature=youtu.be[/YT]

The video above was the second time. The first time, the driver just reset saying that it had crashed but this time it just stayed like that and not even the reset switch on my machine wanted to work. So I had to hold down my power button.

So my question is, driver or is something like the memory going faulty?

Also I was not overclocking on it at that point which I found strange that this would happen. The annoying thing is that its only a week old. I'm now in Win 7 after rebooting and I'm awaiting the same thing to happen again. Right now everything seems fine and normal and I can go about things normally for now, until it happens again.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    have you done any overclocking? also, what are the temps of the gpu?

More than 25k PPD
  3. Relinquish New Member

Thanks Received:
    At that point I wasn't. Temps are around 27C at idle.

4. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    it shouldn't be doing that at only 27C. could be the memory or the card in general going bad. you can try re-installing drivers if you want, don't know if it'll do any good though.

what power supply do you have? (edit: nvm i see it now... 550w psu should be enough)

More than 25k PPD
  5. Iceni

Thanks Received:
    check in windows 7 first it may be a bad driver on the windows 8 platform.

If windows 7 runs without problem then it's either faulty graphics drivers or a faulty motherboard driver.

6. Tardan

Thanks Received:
  7. Relinquish New Member

Thanks Received:
  8. Relinquish New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well I'm in Win 7 now and it looks fine (for now).

EDIT: sorry for double posting.

9. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    most likely the display scaling in windows 8

10. bafoKrator

Thanks Received:
    hi!watching this site for so long yet a new user :toast: !Gratz for all the work guys!To our concern now!:) have seen this issue of "purple" screen and driver stop responding and i know that is a problem with driver interfering and crashing with java!Nvidia also stated at their latest driver updates this issue and they said they fixed it!Also a friend of mine that had also the same problem told me that with lastest driver updates he got this fixed(he was having this lazy "purple" screen when watching videos on youtube or surfing at net!
    edit:also nvidia stated that this problem occured only with some gtx560 chips though i a m searching to give u a valid link i have a limited time atm so i will add a link after

Relinquish says thanks.
  11. Relinquish New Member

Thanks Received:
    Welcome to the forms and thanks for your input.

Well I think the problem is driver related. Its so sad because its been over a year since I had an nVidia card and they still seem to be struggling with their drivers....

12. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    if the driver doesnt fix it, turn in the board for another one or an AMD

baggpipes says thanks.
  13. Relinquish New Member

Thanks Received:
    So I think it was the drivers. Windows 7 has been working fine apart from a few minutes ago when I got a BSOD with the error: "PAGE FAULT IN NON PAGED AREA" that had an error code of 50. Is this a system memory issue or VRAM? I was on youtube and installing a game when it happened.

EDIT: So it looks like it was a HDD issue. I ran CHKDSK and it threw me some errors which I rectified by using CHKDSK /F.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
    bafoKrator says thanks.
  14. bafoKrator

Thanks Received:
    The driver related problem that nvidia has it only does the "pink" screen effect it can't produce a bsod!So either you have a hardware problem that is not the gpu or a os registry or virus problem!Did u tried unistalling on safe mode the drivers and then installing the latest on safe mode!Also the problems that nvidia has with drivers are very limited compared to amd so switching to amd is not an option in my opinion and i am not telling that because i am being a fanboy!

15. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    bad drivers cause BSODs same with crap hardware and NV have equal amt of driver issues as AMD does.

and it really sounds like the 560 is going to crap so you best just save money and go for a NV 6 Series or AMD 7 series card

16. Protagonist

Protagonist

Thanks Received:
    Display driver stopped working/video adapter problem/also known as pink screen effect only happens once in a while and on my GTX460 never seems to be that intense only shows a few pink doted lines (it has only appeared when(surfing the web i use Mozilla and when watching a clip or movie)) but it only appears sometimes once after like two months or a month or sometimes just never appears at all.

i never had this problem but after i updated drivers past 260 is when it started to appear initially after updating past 260 it used to appear like weekly then the 285 plus drivers seemed to solve it a bit so sine then it appears once after like 2 or 1 month

And i have never gotten BSOD due to this. And has never appeared while gaming only on desktop while surfing or watching something

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
    Relinquish says thanks.
  17. tehdewsh New Member

Thanks Received:
    i know that feel, bro

..seriously tho, i JUST bought a 560ti 1GB ~12hrs ago, and i've got the pink-screen-everything-freezes issue. it looks identical to what you posted.

granted, it WAS after updating to the 296.xx drivers, but still..i'm SERIOUSLY unimpressed.

personally, i bought this card because it ought to have had plenty of time to mature- i was hoping for zero complications.

..on a sidenote: this is my 1st non-AMD purchase. heard great things about the green team, and i'm hoping that this'll resolve. (because this really IS quite a capable card, for my uses)

we shall see how it goes..i've DL'ed the beta drivers from the nvidia site (like THAT'S a great bet, in hopes of no issues, right?) but still, in searching this issue, i've run across a few posts claiming that the newest update solves the errors. i'm crosssing my fingers.

18. Relinquish New Member

Thanks Received:
    Any luck with the beta drivers? Also what GTX 560Ti did you purchase?

19. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    to me it sounds like Junk drivers or Junk cards

20. baggpipes

baggpipes New Member

Thanks Received:
    Does it happen in Win 7?? or your other OS...

21. tehdewsh New Member

Thanks Received:
    if this was directed to me: i use 32bit XP Pro on the machine in question.

the beta drivers seem to be just fine, so far. no repeat of the issue..yet. it was totally random when it happened yesterday tho..i'll post again, if/when it happens.

the card i bought was the EVGA 560ti 1GB.

22. white phantom

white phantom New Member

Thanks Received:

I to have had this pink screen issue and also been told its a drivers issue hopefully to be resolved in the next update (to original poster)

however i have a ASUS 560ti 1gb TOP (900mhz stock) edition card and when i updated to the beta drivers it was impossible to load the windows desktop, The pc would go to the welcome screen then just stay black screened with the mouse pointer, only way to rectify this was to enter safe mood (which displayed the desktop) and roll back to the drivers previously, Touch wood though i have never ever had a pink screen again so maybe try that :)

23. tehdewsh New Member

Thanks Received:
    ohh, *that's* what you were asking. .mine was the "FPB" edition, i guess. 850 stock clock.

24. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    did you check the cable to the monitor?

check the DVI connectivity, it might be making bad contact.