1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GTX 560 ti overheating problem

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by FPS Scotland, Jun 28, 2014.

1. FPS Scotland New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, I have a GTX 560 ti, which I currently don't use due to a major overheating problem, and have finally got round to trying to do something with it. The problem began completely randomly. The problem is that, according to MSI afterburner, it was running at 80oC idle, and up to 90oC under stress, with fan speed making no difference to the temp, although I hear it speeding up. Any ideas of what to do? My rig is as follows: AMD FX-4100 3.4GHZ Quad Core, AMD Radeon 6670, and 8GB RAM.

2. Shambles1980

Thanks Received:
    try a diferent temperature monitoring tool and see if that says similar..
    aida64, occt, hwinfo, gpuid..

if they all say the same then the chances are your heat sink needs to be removed and re-attached properly.

3. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    remove the heatsink from the video card, clean away the old thermal paste, apply new paste then reinstall the heatsink

FPS Scotland says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. FPS Scotland New Member

Thanks Received:
    That was along the lines that I thought. Seeing as I've never done that before, any good tutorials you could link me to? Also what paste would you recommend? Does the expensive stuff make that much of a difference compared to the cheap stuff?

5. Shambles1980

Thanks Received:
    id go for something at-least along the lines of mx-4.
    and it should e a matter of unscrew the screws on the back of the card (probably only 4 of them) and it should just pull off.. remember to keep the screws safe.

clean the gpu and the heat sink. i reccomend using 97% isopropyl alcohol or higher.
    and a lint free cloth although you could use a jay cloth or tissue if you make sure you don't leave any bits behind.

then apply a small amount of thermal paste to the gpu. and screw it all back together.

6. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    to be honest there are probably around 12-15 thermal pastes that can all do great and are on the same level based on different reviews. I'd recommend googling "thermal paste round up" as Hardware secrets usually does a wide collection of pastes review. I personally use Xigmatek PTI G4512. Its right up there with those top 12 like I said, but its (or was) only around $5 bucks. BTW reverse engineer it to learn. its simple as unscrew, have cautious hands and a space cleared to lay the card and heatsink. Also I recommend a bottle of 90%+ isopropal alc, its cheap and cleans as good as anything else I've used; I usually use que tips dunked into a shot glass of the isopropol alc. Also make sure its 90%+ if you can, and only alc and water, none of that menthol crap. best of luck and be delicate.

7. razr m3

razr m3

Thanks Received:
    Without a doubt repaste. The card is approaching what, 3 years old? I wouldn't doubt the stock paste is starting to dry out if it hasn't already. Plus, the manufacturer cakes that stuff on when they attach the cooler. Like others have said, MX-4 is good. I love AS5, but I believe it is electrically conductive so I don't know how it will fare if it touches the PCB. Use cotton swabs and 90%+ iso alcohol to clean that sucker good and then repaste and seat the cooler. Temps should definitely return to the optimum range!

8. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    beside thermal paste check the fan too, it may not give enough fresh air to cool the heatsink