1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GTX 580 Lightning cooling with 120mm fans???

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by treboRR, Dec 5, 2011.

1. treboRR

treboRR New Member

Thanks Received:
    Has anyone done that??? I mean but the 2x120mm fans on that beast? (ripping off the msi metal cover and removing the 2 fans and replace them with some kind of 120mm fans???)

:toast:

I imagine it will definitely lower the temps and most importantly lower the noise:nutkick:
  2. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    Isn't the shroud engineered to increase the air pressure on the pcb? I think you'd do worse
  3. Darkleoco

Darkleoco

Thanks Received:
    +1 it is engineered to be used with the setup being shipped it is not meant to be interchangeable in the same way as case fans or cpu coolers.
  4. Animalpak

Animalpak

Thanks Received:
    sounds like ghetto mod
  5. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    People have been saying they have magical cooler shrouds for ages.

Most of they're time they're Bullshitting.

You know what increases pressure more? A higher pressure fan. :laugh:
  6. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse Crazy Dogmatic Bullsh!t!

Thanks Received:
    I did a simlar thing to a 5850 once.

the Heatsink kinda looked like this:
    [​IMG]

Started off cable tying a 120mm(1300rpm) and one 80mm(3000rpm) fan on to each overhanging section of the cooler.

temps were never that great. The reason why I ripped the shroud off was because the stock fan in the picture started developing this REALLY LOUD grinding noise.

I put in an order for a Arctic Cooling Twin Turbo Pro - Waited a week, never arrived then checked on the shops website and found out that they had labled the cooler as 'Ordered upon request' which means I wouldnt see the cooler for another 2-3 weeks.
    Since i originally put in an order when they said they had at least 15 units instock. I cancelled my order and proceeded to give them a right royal bollocking via email to which they never replied and i eventually ran out of breath when they refunded me.

Since the grinding noise had gotten a lot worse and was totally unbearable I ripped the shroud and the fan off and ghetto modded it.

results wasnt that awesome as the original fan in the middle was supposed to channel air between the fins but meh, the card never overheated on me which is the most important thing when ghetto modding a cooler.

my Twin Turbo Pro eventually arrived a few days later and this nightmare was finally put to rest.

/sipsmorecoffee
    treboRR says thanks.
  7. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    The fans on the GTX 580 Lightning already cover the heatsink fins from side to side, and pretty much have them entirely covered from front to back, so adding a larger fan would just have the fan sticking over the edge of the fin array and wouldn't really help any with heat dissipation.

As for the noise, you can always manually adjust the fan profile to bring the noise down a little, the card certainly has the room in temperatures to handle slowing the fans down some.
    treboRR says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 25 Million points folded for TPU
  8. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:

200 cfm delta fans might do though :laugh: ( I know, not precisely quiet but you can get higher cfm fans then the ones they use on it that are quieter)
    treboRR says thanks.
  9. treboRR

treboRR New Member

Thanks Received:
    i know what u all think about! My point is...beacause the card is cool enuff but i would like it to be more quiter than it is, beacause these fans to push air quite nice but in mean time they are loud as hell (i mean only then if i want to keep things nice and cool), but in auto it is silent, but then the temps are getting higher.

I see noone has done it here or anywhere. I will do that ghetto mod and let you guys know did it help or did it get worse. BUT THANKS ANYWAY!!
  10. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Water cool the card:)
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    The Lightning fans can get pretty loud, I thought they were loud @ anything over 54%. I decided to run it at the max speed that I could get away with without hearing them over my case which turned out to be 50%. Funny enough the temps didn't change much at all.

Long short, fans are loud, but the heatsink does such a good job that the fans never need to get that fast.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. treboRR

treboRR New Member

Thanks Received:
    there isn't any waterblock for lightning!!!!

i do not agree with you, my card does change trastically temps when a little change of fan speed is on order:D mby that comes from better airflow in the case??

But yeah....imho i will try do set those 120mm on it and see whats what! in series of 8800 cards, removing the plastic cover and one 120mm fan on it was a BIG temp killer - 20-30C less heat! But i would like to see if i get better result on 580 Lightning - ok ok...mby not, but i sure will get much quiter card that way and i will be satisfied if the temps remain same as with orig. fans.:rockout:
  13. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Nope, same case before and after the fan speed change- temps barely changed. The 650D is not known for great airflow, either.

Are you saying doing the same thing results in a bigger change in temps for you? Do you have a Lightning card or are you talking about the 8800 listed in your specs? If thats the case we are talking apples and oranges.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    Im running on stock 580 cooler overclocked to 850 core, with ambient case temps of 36c degree and gpu temp reaching 80c + degree on gaming. Been running since a year now, and so far didnt get any temp related problems. In other words, be happy with what you have right now :D
    treboRR says thanks.
  15. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Lower temperatures mean better over-clocking, or if you've already reached clock limit you might be able to run a lower voltage through the chip as the chip will have less voltage leakage : ]

Lower the temps the better, it's why all my heat-sinks have always been huge :laugh:

For example on my old 6870 ( this one is a dud for over-clocking) with the stock cooler it took 1.3 volt for 1000 core with after market cooling it done it with it's stock vid of 1.18 : ]

Never be happy with what you have XD always room for improvement.

By the way OP, post pictures when your done, I do love a good ghetto mod, so far there's not been a rig I've owned that doesn't have at-least one XD
  16. treboRR

treboRR New Member

Thanks Received:

ohh sorry, my specs are different...i will update them:D they are old!

EDIT: and i have added alot of better fans to the 650D (even the 200mm Antec Bigboy sucking the air in to the case)
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  17. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:
    How long have you had the card? If you can return it you should get the asus GTX580 Matrix Platinum, its really quiet even overclocked at 980mhz core, I can hear mine, only thing i hear in my setup is the corsair H100.
  18. treboRR

treboRR New Member

Thanks Received:
    hmm....about 2 months now, but NO WAY i'm returnig that card! I like MSI card better. And i got it about 120 € cheaper than market price.:toast: