1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gtx 580 sli

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Shadow_ID, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Shadow_ID New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just got myself two Gainward GTX 580s and running them in SLI... These bad boys get HOT!
    I have dropped the clocks a little to give me a few degrees less but I am having to use a desk fan to cool then at the moment as without they hit the die point of about 98c then just crashes out... with the fan i can get away with it. Problem is though is there not going to last long at these temperature really... They are cooking

Any tips on what i could do to try getting them down abit?

2. white phantom

white phantom New Member

Thanks Received:
    change to aftermarket coolers if possible?

add more intakes in your case?

if got some spare cash make a gpu loop for water cooling?

just suggestions if no use just ignore them lol :)

Shadow_ID says thanks.
  3. Darkleoco

Darkleoco

Thanks Received:
    Have you tried setting custom fan profiles? They definitely should not be reaching any temperature close to that under decent fan speeds. Also are your case fans clean and do you have proper cable management to improve airflow?

Shadow_ID says thanks.
  4. Shadow_ID New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ive been checking the fan speeds and both end up ramped upto 100% within about 10 minutes of being under full load... if not sooner.

System is generally clean... Cables could do with a good sort out and i do need more fans in the case anyway... I think it might be a good time for a new case and getting some aftermarket water cooling for the 580s.

Failing that just try loosing the case all together?

5. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Scratch what I just had, I see you already had the fans at 100%.

I assume these cards are stacked right on top of each other (havent looked at the mobo yet) hanging a fan on the side or blowing in the rear is something a lot of Fermi owners have done to help combat this issue.

If you use the top green slot and the lower green slot, does that run the cards at 8X by 8X (as you dont really need 16x) Downloading the manual, but its slow;)

6. Shadow_ID New Member

Thanks Received:
    Got a fan on the side...

Just put fans to 100% during idle with the fan on the side... cant get them less than 45c!

My last card which was a 285 never got more than 60c under full load.... that was a Gainward too that was the reason i went for the gainwards over the PNYs as i knew the cooling was good on them... these have two fans on each card!

7. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    Even my 470s were scorchers, 45* at idle seems around average. I too had temperature issues in SLI (inside of an 800D), went water to solve my issues, as most good aftermarket air coolers use 3 slots these days:(

With the dual fan models you have, they need space between the cards to draw in enough air....why I mentioned using 8X8 versus 16X16 to space the cards. I assume the bottom card isn't hitting the same temperature?

8. Shadow_ID New Member

Thanks Received:
    No the bottom card isnt hitting the same temps... it gets into the late 80s and sometimes the beginning or the 90s but not to the point that the card starts dropping voltage etc

I was thinking about doing what you said... to use it in 8X8 mode but how much performance would i loose?

The only downfall for me in doing that would i would loose the slot for my sound card as the card would take up two slots of space

9. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    I lost like 100-200 3D marks...lol Synthetics you will see it, but its like 3% loss overall.

Shadow_ID says thanks.
  10. Shadow_ID New Member

Thanks Received:
    Suppose thats not really that bad then. I will give it a go now... Thanks... i will post on the results of doing so

11. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    I would still expect high 80s but it should keep running. Last thing I can advise if you are using the stock coolers is to replace the TIM with something better.

Shadow_ID says thanks.
  12. Shadow_ID New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok just got it running in 8X8 and temps are alot better with the extra space now... GPU 1 diddnt even hit 78c and GPU 2 hit highest of 88c

I will give it a go with some long testing. thanks for the help