1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GTX 650 and primary monitor

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by DheJariaad, Feb 1, 2014.

1. DheJariaad New Member

Thanks Received:
    In Windows I have set my PC monitor to be my primary monitor. But when I boot the computer, bios / GTX 650 thinks that my TV (connected via HDMI) is the primary one. So, if I want to enter the bios for example, I have to check it out with my HDTV. PC monitor is connected via DVI-D. Where can change the priority of monitors before the system has loaded Windows? Or is there anything that can be done?

Motherboard is M5A97 EVO R2.0 and it has UEFI bios.

I have cloned my desktop to both screens. When I set the GTX 650 to output 1080p 50hz, video playback has tearing in my HDTV but in the PC monitor it's fine. Is this problem due to fact that the PC monitor doesn't support 1080p 50hz and GTX 650 is forced to output 1080p 60hz and that my HDTV doesn't sync that (it still recognizes the signal as 50 hz). 60 hz is fine.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  2. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I don't believe you can change the priority before Windows loads. It may be possible through editing the card's BIOS, but It isn't really worth the risk of a BIOS flash just for this issue. The easiest solution might be to use a DVI-D to HDMI adapter, and connect the TV to that. That way both the TV and monitor will be connected to the DVI ports. Then you can figure out which one of the DVI ports is the primary and connect the monitor to that one and the TV to the other.

As for the tearing issue, my guess would be it is caused by the TV not properly supporting the 50Hz refresh rate. That isn't a common refresh rate for TV.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  3. DheJariaad New Member

Thanks Received:
    My card has HDMI, DVI-D and VGA. I would need to buy two adapters to do what you suggested. I also want audio through HDMI and I think the card won't output it through DVI-D. So maybe I stick with this situation. Not a big deal.

I live in Europe so my TV supports 1080p 24/50/60 hz and 1080i 50/60 hz. So, that's not the problem. And video playback was fine with my Asus laptop. Maybe I try different configurations some day.

4. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Ah, I'm so used to cards just having two DVI-D ports. Anyway, I guess you could just use a HDMI to DVI cable for you monitor and a DVI-D to HDMI adapter for the TV. Kind of an odd way to do it, but it should fix the issue of the primary monitor. And the nVidia cards output sound through the DVI-D port when you use an HDMI adapter, at least my GTX670s and GTX650Ti both do.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU