1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GTX 660ti at full load after restart

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by Deridder45, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Deridder45 New Member

Thanks Received:
    [SOLVED] GTX 660ti at full load after restart

I have recently bought a EVGA GTX 660ti 3GB SC to put in my old computer. The computer is getting quite old so i thought id put a 660ti in it. Its just a consumer level PC i bought, its a Gateway DX4840 and i don't know any of the hardware in it because i didn't build it...
    What i do know is that it has a 660ti that i just put in and a Antec NEO ECO 520w power supply. The problem i am having is that after i restart the computer the card is running at full load no matter what i am doing on the PC. On the desktop the GPU usage is at like 97%. The temperature also rises at about 75c and game performance is cut in half.In order to fix this issue i have to reinstall the drivers(310.90) and the card returns to normal operation(load goes back down, temps, clock speed,etc). When i first got this card a couple months ago i don't remember having the issue but its been happening for awhile now and i cant get it to stop, EVERY TIME i restart the PC. Ive tried completely removing the drivers following the instructions on the techPowerUp forums, I've tried different drivers and still i getting this issue. I don't know what to do, any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  2. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    Try this. Wise gamebooster

It should detect and close whats not needed and you will figure out the cause I'm sure.
  3. Slizzo

Slizzo

Thanks Received:
    Best bet for solution would be to reload the PC back to factory settings. If you have a restore disc or restore partition, do that to the PC, then run a Driver Sweep/Driver Clean in safe mode, reboot, install new nVidia drivers, reboot.
    Deridder45 says thanks.
  4. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    have u tired GPU Shark to see what applications actually uses your GPU?

just did a quick run from my own Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64 with driver 390.10...

[​IMG]

when u start GPU Shark click View and choose "Detailed Mode" and u should get "Current active 3D appications:" at the buttom of the list.

Download: GPU Shark 0.6.8

Attached Files:

Deridder45 says thanks.
  5. Deridder45 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i Just tried GPU Shark after a restart and heres the results, i dont see any processes that are out of the ordinary? Lcore.exe is for my keyboard..
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    You'd think it was a driver relic somewhere causing problems.

Or if you're really unlucky, a bitcoin virus? Not very common but they do use the gpu.
  7. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    Disable aero.

use classic theme and check.
    Deridder45 says thanks.
  8. Deridder45 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I disabled aero and went to classic, restarted the computer and i still have the problem

EDIT: Also i tried Game Booster and had no luck
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  9. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    That process with no name and only a PID definitely looks out of the ordinary to me.

You might try running a command prompt and running this:

Code:
    taskkill /PID 3400
    And see what happens.

You can go into Task Manager and go to the processes tab to find what process matches that PID, you'll have to enable the PID column.
    Deridder45 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. Cotton_Cup

Cotton_Cup

Thanks Received:
  11. Deridder45 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I guess i should have taken a closer look, i didn't see that because it wasn't named anything :)
    The process changed to PID 2124 this time so i typed that into cmd and it said i needed to use /f to force the termination of the process so i did and my screen went black for a few seconds and came back and i got a NVIDIA Display Driver stopped responding...
    [​IMG]

The good news is everything went back to normal..
    [​IMG]

Played Crysis 2 and it performed fine
    [​IMG]

I restarted and i get the issue again
    Am i okay to disable this at start up?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  12. Deridder45 New Member

Thanks Received:
  13. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    The fact that killing the process caused the nVidia driver to crash leads me to believe the process is actually part of the driver.

I'd try cleaning all old nVidia drivers from your computer, including PhysX drivers using Driver Fusion(previously Driver Sweeper) in safe mode.

Then reboot and do a fresh install of the latest nVidia drivers.
    Deridder45 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. Deridder45 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ive tried that before and had no success the problem just continued
  15. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    if u r using a Logitech G-Series keyboard i think the LCore.exe could interfere with load maybe, try deactivate lcore.exe from startup to see if that helps.
    Deridder45 says thanks.
  16. Slizzo

Slizzo

Thanks Received:
    That'd be an odd issue. Haven't ever seen an issue like this in my years of G15 ownership. However I don't tend to mess with updating my keyboard software.

If the issue persists even after messing about with the drivers, I think a clean install (of Windows) would still be a best bet.
    Deridder45 says thanks.
  17. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    i read on logitech's forum some had problems with the G-series keyboards software when it came to Nvidia Vision so u dunno maybe something is not working as it should, some of my friends got Logitech G-series keyboards aswell and no problem both with AMD and Nvidia but u never know, not every installed OS is the same...
    Deridder45 says thanks.
  18. Deridder45 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I tried disabling lcore.exe at startup and it didnt fix the problem, but i think i figured out what is causing it...
    using GPU Chark we found the "unnamed" process was causing the problem, when i killed the process the NVIDIA Driver crashed. After looking into this process further i found it is a process called scvhost.exe, i found this by using the PID in task manager, it was located in
    \AppData\Roaming\Adobe32...when i ended the process in task manger i didn't get a driver crash and the graphics card returned to normal operations:rockout:

I simply deleted scvhost.exe and it seems to have fixed the issue when i restart. Im not sure what the file was used for...(hope it wasnt important :laugh:)

anyone know what it would be used for??

Thanks to everyone for the help!!
  19. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    wow, i thought i was the only one that had this issue, i remember getting my GTX 660 last december and i also had this unusually high GPU usage even tho im not running anything and its sending temps and fan speed to high, and making games sluggish due to the GPU being used at its max capacity, and i disabled a process from task manager and it solved the issue (just like what you did) tho i was not sure if it was SCVhost.exe (btw, my CPU is also being used at aroudn 25-30% at that time, not just high GPU usage)
  20. Deridder45 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ya my cpu usage was also at like 25-30% i just never noticted it...
    Thats weird you had the same issue..
  21. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Well, svchost.exe is a critical windows process. However, it is located Windows/System32, it should not be running from AppData. In fact, nothing should be running from Appdata, AFAIK. But scvhost.exe running from under Appdata is a common virus. There was a virus that was going around that was actually Folding@Home, the virus maker set it up so that it would hijack your computer and fold for him so he could get more points. He had a pretty substantial bot network folding for him. I wouldn't be surprised if something similar was happening to you.

Run malwarebytes ASAP.
    Deridder45 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  22. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    yeah, looks like it was some bitcoin/GPGPU hijack mallware/virus, can't remember if my network is busy at that time tho.
  23. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Hardware Specs of that desktop
    http://support.gateway.com/s/desktop/2010/gateway/dx/dx4840/DX4840sp2.shtml

I would seriously recommend a Format if You have a Full OS disk of W7(Restore/Rescue disks suck balls), all the latest drivers, even a bios update for the motherboard. (If you have a full OS disk you can use a program called kill disk to wipe the drive completely)

After Format/OS restore, Install All Critical WIndows Updates to include SP1, IE9 (if wasnt installed originally in 2010 (NO DRIVERS). after those Install Drivers which are downloaded from Gateway, Install Latest Video Drivers for the card. Install Antivirus Software- Free versions recommended would be AVAST, AVG and AVIRA. Install Spyware blaster. Install Malware Bytes Antimalware. Install JAVA and put a short cut to the desktop for the Java Control Panel, Install latest flash, shockwave, install FOXIT Reader (PDF files) install 7 zip Beta and win rar.

Read up on the commands for Check Disk and Disk Defrag then run those one after the other (CHKDSK First then Disk Defrag)

Install Games to include DX Updates

I am unaware if MS has updated direct X with updates.

after games are installed run defrag again
    Deridder45 says thanks.