1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gtx 680 ftw 4 gb massive fps drops

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by twistable_deer, Jun 6, 2013.

1. twistable_deer New Member

Thanks Received:
    hello, i just bought a gtx 680 ftw+ 4gb card and i slapped it into my computer and i wanted to test the card to see the fps. right away i was getting like 80fps or so down to 10 for three sec then back up then back down again. i also bought a new PSU because my older one did not have a 8-pin so i bought a 750 watt corsair PSU. i enabled force constant voltage on msi and that did not help. what could be the problem?

Thanks

2. Lazermonkey

Thanks Received:
    What are your GPU temps?

3. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It would help if you filled out your system specs to see what's going on hardware wise. :toast: Welcome to the TPU forum! :toast:

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. twistable_deer New Member

Thanks Received:
    now when i am testing the card for some reason the power goes past 200% and thats when the fps drops.

5. twistable_deer New Member

Thanks Received:
    the card never went past 50c

6. twistable_deer New Member

Thanks Received:
    BTW when i was testing i used Heaven and 3DMark 11

7. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    We can't help you without this information. Also what drivers you are using.

8. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    Fresh install of windows?
    What's the rest of the system?
    What driver?
    Does it do the same with actual games or just benchmarks?
    Have you tried uninstalling MSI AB?

9. twistable_deer New Member

Thanks Received:
    im in the process of building a new computer and the graphics card was first on the list, my computer is quiet old with a quad core processor but this card is only doing marginally better then the card it replaced which was an asus gtx 560 (non ti) which is disappointing. I have tested more with heaven and seeing an average of 40 fps on high settings with 2x anti-aliasing, and the only game i have testing was League of Legends and i was only getting 80 fps while other people where getting 300 fps with the same card. my 560 was getting 60-70 fps oc'ed. i uninstalled the drivers and re installed driver version 320.18 which is the latest one. i tired both prevision x and msi but it is still giving me the same results (almost 300% power peak then low fps) i dont think my somewhat old computer should be dropping the fps this much maybe just a little. hope this helps

10. twistable_deer New Member

Thanks Received:
    and i am also using the fan curve on msi afterburner and my temps are an average 60 degrees

11. Lazermonkey

Thanks Received:
    What kind of motherboard?

12. twistable_deer New Member

Thanks Received:
    again it is quiet old, i bought a new case and i transferred all the components out of my hp pavillion to my new one that i am currently using. the motherboard is a ipbl-l4. i was also reading up about the gtx 680's not fully working and someone mentioned that windows will sometimes use the other graphics card registry so refreshing your computer might help. i am using windows 8 and i am currently refreshing it which shouldn't take too long and i will download and install the latest drivers and try testing again and i will get back to you with my results

13. Slizzo

Slizzo

Thanks Received:
    You say quite old, I'm guessing you're bottlenecking the hell out of the GPU because your processor isn't up to the task. What CPU do you have, and what resolution is your monitor running at?

14. Lazermonkey

Thanks Received:
    Slizzo, I was thinking the same thing. Bottleneck from hell.

15. twistable_deer New Member

Thanks Received:
    its a intel duo quad core (Q95550) 2.8 ghz processor and when i am doing the bechmarks my cpu is not going past 30% usage and i am using a 1920 x 1200 monitor

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  16. Baum

Thanks Received:
    My GTX 650 does lock down the core if you overstress it, maybe the benchark just bumps up the temp too hard?

Test a normal game!
    Look in your windows error log if the nvidia display driver was "reseted" with anred error/yellow exclamation mark.

EDIT:
    you are sure that you oem board does pci-e x16 electricaly and not just a x16 slot that runs on x4?

When i read "HP Pavillion ipbl-l4" i don't know even with a new powersupply we don't know if the board is crippled somehow
    you say: "quiet" = does the card throttle with the casing open? (just to even out a cooling limitation)
    Does the cooler sit "flush" / Flat on the card? I once owned a card that was smashed from transit

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  17. Slizzo

Slizzo

Thanks Received:
    Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ stock? Yeah bottle necking that GPU like crazy. The low CPU utilization is a clue on that. Monitor res is good, but you would have been fine with a 2GB GTX 680. However having the 4GB model will future proof you nicely.

18. twistable_deer New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah that's what i was thinking, games will require more textures in the future so the 4 gb would help with that, anyways i think i found a solution to my problem (except for my slow CPU/mobo) i disabled the audio driver for the GPU via device manager because apperently sometimes windows doesn't know which one to use to that slows down the GPU and that seemed to stop the power spikes but i still am not using 100% of the GPU maybe 60% if that but thanks for all of your help and i will be building my new computer soon so hopefully my GPU will work 100%