1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GTX 680 versus HD 7970 at same clocks.

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by the54thvoid, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Benetanegia

Benetanegia New Member

Thanks Received:
    Different games, maybe different maps and i7 920 vs 2500k can lead to differences in results. This is NOT a critic to how W1zz benches, since I think a hevily OCed 920 is closer to what most people have and is in no way a bottleneck. But differences are going to happen with different systems and Sandy Bridge and SB-E systems are undoubtely faster and maybe, maybe a faster system helps the card with the lower mem badwidth get a few extra %.

I also think that excluding some games with CPU bottleneck in W1zz's review would yield a greater difference and this is again NOT a critic, since it's only reflecting the reality of current gaming. But it can explain the difference.
  2. Shurakai

Shurakai New Member

Thanks Received:
    No offense mate, but have you owned and tried the drivers with a 7970? They actually aren't all that great. Over time they will smooth out, but right now Nvidia are rocking some excellent release drivers going by feedback.

Never had a problem with the drivers in the HD5000 generation like yours, beautiful cards.
    theoneandonlymrk says thanks.
  3. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    I don't know/understand why :confused: You provide people with the most thorough, informative, complete and unbiased review's on the web, and have been for many year's! The only time i look at another GFX card review is if someone link's it in comparisson to your's but i always find myself quickly closing the page :cool:

Thing's are gonna get even better now that you have the tri monitor set up :respect:
  4. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Its the same story no matter what. If he shows AMD in a good light, NVIDIA fanboys bitch its biased. If he shows NVIDIA in a good light, AMD fanboys bitch its biased. Just enjoy the reviews and disregard about 90% of the comments under.
    95Viper says thanks.
  5. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    keep doing what your doing mate, your reviews tend to run closer to my expectations and i take them as the benchmark by which other sites reviews are based

im not bothered who looks bad so long as they all take a turn:) as thats the real world , Im a budget gamer so i go where my funds take me, and try and do my best, next combo for me is looking to be 8780 x 2 depending on your review obv;)
  6. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    What is the point of clock vs. clock performance comparisons when the GTX680 clocks higher than the HD7970 by a far bit? I never understood this. It always seems like a cop-out for someone that really prefers one side and just can't accept that the other is a better option. I saw it in the GTX680 review thread too, several people saying "Well if the GTX680 is clocked the same as the HD7970 then they are pretty equal." Well big deal, they aren't clock the same.

The fact is that the GTX680 seems to be hitting about 100MHz more than the HD7970 on both core and memory, so comparing the two clock for clock is pointless. You won't be running them at the same clocks, so why compare them at the same clocks?
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  7. Benetanegia

Benetanegia New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think that I missed something anyway. Where exactly was W1zzard's methodology put into question?
  8. Vulpesveritas

Vulpesveritas

Thanks Received:
    so clock - for - clock the 680 is 3-5% faster. And 10-15% more energy efficient. And 10-20% cheaper.
    Well dang.
  9. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    quite right as many dont run at stock anyway, id be tryin (right now for kicks) for new highs if i had either card , as is il play a game :rolleyes::cry:
  10. Vendor

Thanks Received:
  11. v12dock

v12dock

Thanks Received:
    W1zzard choose the 920 because it's the most common processor
    eidairaman1 says thanks.
  12. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Running at same clocks determines which architecture would be more efficient at Pixel Pushing, it only works in games that dont have AMD or NV slapped on them or were tested using 1 card over the other. Only variable would be driver tweaking. Also by default NV has their GPU slightly clocked higher than AMDs. Max Overclock achieved by both AMD and Nvidia is a very moot point because for 1 the CPU was clocked higher on NV testing and 2 NV used a daughter board jerry rigged in the power controls, 3 Everyday Enthusiasts dont have the money and time or a controlled environment to run their components out in the open like the LN2 users.

Also CPU of choice used by Wizzard is the same because performance isnt drastically enough to upgrade the test bed used. People forget that 1366 does have more lanes for graphics than 1155

And I agree both companies are hit and Miss with drivers produced, My Personal Experience Ive had more headaches with NV drivers to point it made me go to ATI/AMD

13. purecain

purecain

Thanks Received:
    @wizard- all artists are critical of their work, i personally(i probably speak for 99% of the community) admire the amount of effort you put in... i know it can become a real ball ache sometimes...
    just take notice of posative and educated criticism my friend like usual...

back on topic.... the 680 is looking like the card to buy imo, and i would of gone for one already had they released the 4gb model...
    am i right in thinking nvidias high end is still a few months away...???
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  14. Zubasa

Zubasa

Thanks Received:
    The CPU don't even make that much of a difference in real Gaming after a certain point, as long as the CPU doesn't bottleneck the card (i7 920@3.8ghz is certainly not) the review is legit.
    Most newer titles tends to be GPU limited anyways.