1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GTX 770 Overclockers Thread

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by TristanD27, Mar 7, 2014.

1. FX-GMC

FX-GMC

Thanks Received:
    That start up box tells p-x to load when windows starts so yes, you will need it to have the fan curve load.

EDIT: Per below this will tell the OC profile to load.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
    Vario says thanks.
  2. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    it still starts up even without it, so I was wondering if it rather applies the power and temp target, gpu and mem clock offset settings.

FX-GMC says thanks.
  3. FX-GMC

FX-GMC

Thanks Received:
    You are correct. It will load that profile. Unchecked will go to default on reboot. My mistake. The fan curve will load as long as precision x does.

Vario says thanks.
  4. bubbleawsome

bubbleawsome

Thanks Received:
    Will 2 brands of 770 sli? I might go dual or triple sli with 2xGB and 1xPNY or just the two gigabyte cards, but I want to make sure they work together.

5. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Why not run dual PNY? These things are awesome... 1254 core 1800 mem default!

6. bubbleawsome

bubbleawsome

Thanks Received:
    Because I could have gotten the 2xGB for $350. Deals' gone now though. :/

7. TristanD27

TristanD27

Thanks Received:
    I am starting to realise how lucky I was that the PNY was out of stock, my first choice was the PNY as I had the PNY570 and loved it but when I went to get my 770 they didn't have the PNY in stock and I heard a lot of good stuff about the ACX coolers on EVGA cards so I got that, I play AC4 on max settings and don't go above 70*C.

8. Johan45

Johan45

Thanks Received:
    Coolers make a huge difference, I have been a big fan of the ASUS DCII since I got my first 580. I have a pair of their 770s and couldnt be happier really even benching full out at nearly 1400 the cores don't go over 60c

Vario says thanks.
  9. TristanD27

TristanD27

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I didn't really think much about it on my first build with my 570 and as a result got high temps with a loud fan, never caused any real issues though. Now I am a lot lot happier, the ACX is cool and a lot quieter then the PNY cooler.

10. y0bailey

Thanks Received:
    Anyone tried to overvolt these cards? I can only get to 1.212 volts max on my Galaxy Card. I tried to mess with Kepler Bios tweaker to get more voltage, but never get any boost once flashed with a voltage increased bios. I at at a max of 60c on my Arctic cooler III, and I need some more clocks!

11. Johan45

Johan45

Thanks Received:
    If that's a reference card with one of the power chips listed here this MSI AB hack works for a lot of people http://www.overclock.net/t/1398725/unlock-afterburner-limits-on-lots-of-cards-some-with-llc-ab-b-18. It's pretty slick since there isn't any permanent chang to the card. It doesn't work on mine since Asus uses their own power control and the 1.21v is the max I've been able to hit. Give it a read I wouldn't be surprised if it would work for you and you'd get 1.3v+ and 150% power

12. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    I'm at a much higher clock by default so that would make it run hotter. I still need to repaste the thing too. If I ever get my rebate, I will only be $310 out of pocket for it.

EVGA stuff does last a long time from my experience.

13. bubbleawsome

bubbleawsome

Thanks Received:
    I'm a bit sad my PNY doesn't mine, but I plan to repaste. It might be the airflow in my case though.

14. Johan45

Johan45

Thanks Received:
    Why is it overheating??

15. bubbleawsome

bubbleawsome

Thanks Received:
    "Overheating"
    It's more like 80c with 95% fan but I don't like that.

16. Johan45

Johan45

Thanks Received:
    Ya it's working for it's money that's for sure.

17. FX-GMC

FX-GMC

Thanks Received:
    Are you referring to nVidia Boost or just saying that there is no performance increase.

If it's the former, just set the max clocks to where you would want your boost clocks to be.

18. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:

I remounted the VGA cooler on the PNY and dropped my temps by 15*C in 3dmark11. I used Noctua NTH1 Paste.

First try had artifacts despite cool temperatures. I tried again with slightly more thermal paste and it worked perfectly the second time around. Max temperature in 3dmark11 is only 62*C now.

A cooler is a cooler, its all about the thermal paste application from the factory. It was gooped on by the factory, just as I expected.

19. bubbleawsome

bubbleawsome

Thanks Received:
    I might have to do that. Does it void warranty?

20. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    It does but lets put it this way: their thermal paste is the same color as the Noctua (grey).

edit:

so when I bolted everything together and turned fans to normal etc, 3dmark11 might not have gotten particularly hot but BF4 is still bouncing off the 80*C throttle without Precision X. I did another 2 attempts to get this down but no luck, each time it was the same result. I guess I am doomed to run Precision X's fan profile.

The method I am using is a small dot that I am spreading. I have tried small dot without spread and it doesn't work well on bare die surfaces. It always forms a circle with the heatsink plate and doesn't reach the corners. I spread it very thin and evenly. I don't think I will try this again, I'll just run P-X.

I think I got a good result in 3dmark11 because my case doesn't flow very well and the short period it ran wasn't enough to cook the lower portion of the case. I don't have a side intake, in fact the intake for the VGA is from the bottom of the case flowing up. I also have a front intake that I modded into the lower three 5.25 bays, but that doesn't really hit the VGA, it hits the ram and CPU.

I don't want to cut a side intake into the case. Its a Cosmos-1000 so its all style over substance.

On the upside, the VGA cools off faster and takes longer to reach 80*C so it must be slightly better. Its just not good enough. With precision X it stays mid 70's and runs at 1254 core clock 100% of the time so thats as good as it gets with the XLR8 cooler.

edit 2: I think I got about 2-4*C reduction looking at my notes. So at least its something...

edit 3: its definitely idling lower, it never got below 32*C in my 3 weeks of ownership, now it sits at 29*C idle.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
    bubbleawsome says thanks.
  21. Johan45

Johan45

Thanks Received:

I think you're on to something Vario, You need more air in that case. The extended period of gaming and working the CPU, the heat is just building up.

Vario says thanks.
  22. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Yep I unscrewed the window from the window panel and that helped a ton, I will probably cut a octagonal hole in the plastic of the window panel and put a Cougar 120mm in there.

23. bubbleawsome

bubbleawsome

Thanks Received:
    I have a hole in the side of my case, but no fan. Anyone happen to have a spare 140mm fan that uses molex or 3-pin? :p
    Did you get the name of the voltage controller on the card when you did that?

24. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Sadly no but heres a review with the naked card that I used as a reference before I removed the fan: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2013/09/27/pny-770-oc-review/1

I don't know if the voltage controller's text is legible/visible in that photo though.

I have a photo after I took the cooler off but all my digital cameras suck.

That review claims its not a reference card but the circuit board looks just like a reference 680's so maybe they are referring to the cooler system not the overall card?

25. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    The repaste was definitely a success. After running the card for the past 2 days with a variety of load (BF4 mostly) the thermal paste seems to have cooked nicely and I am getting a low of 27*C idle, when prior I only got 32*C. I disabled Precision-X's custom fan profile and I am using the stock profile again. I can run 1254 on most BF4 maps and only reach about 76*C. The only maps where I reach 80*C is Operation Metro and Locker, probably because of the lighting and the quantity of animations in a small space. The boost clock only falls to 1240 during this.