• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GTX 770 sudden FPS drop

schmoul

Hello everyone,
I usually manage to find answers to every computer related problem that I previously had, but this one is kind of weird.

It began suddenly yesterday. Now, whenever i'm playing for about 15 minutes, my FPS count halves, no matter which game I am playing. It never goes back to normal again, unless I restart. When I reboot, I can play for 15 minutes and FPS drop again. It is not a temperature problem, I ran some tests with furmark and GPU temp does not go higher than 77 degrees celsius. My CPU temperature seems to be fine too.

With OCCT, I managed to capture the moment when the FPS drop occurs but I don't really know how to interpret this. http://imgur.com/a/HAvQr#1

It seems that my GPU suddenly shuts down, and the CPU begins to kick in.
I also updated my GPU bios and did a clean installation of the drivers, to no avail. Did a virus and a malewarebyte scan and nothing's wrong.

Here's my computer specs :

Intel i5 2500k @stock
Msi GTX770 Twin Frozr @stock
8 gb RAM
Asrock Z68 pro 3m
PSU is a 500w rebranded seasonic

Do you have any idea of what it could be ? Thank you in advance !

System Name Silent Potato
Processor i5 4590 @ 3.3 / 3.7 (Stock)
Motherboard Asus z97-C
Memory 2x4GB Gskill Sniper 1866
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX960 Windforce
Power Supply XFX PRO650W XXX Ed.
That OCCT pics lack some info, like %GPU usage (or maybe I'm not seeing it?)

It looks like a classic driver crash, weird is, it's not telling you anything about it.

Check event viewer for warnings from display? Maybe there is something hidden in there.

schmoul

Thanks for your answer ! I know what you mean, I had the driver crash problem with my previous GPU (GTX 560 Ti). It seems different here, as absolutely nothing tells me something is wrong like you said. No matter what I do, the FPS just drop until I reboot, without any other sign. Would a stress test with another tool help ?

System Name Silent Potato
Processor i5 4590 @ 3.3 / 3.7 (Stock)
Motherboard Asus z97-C
Memory 2x4GB Gskill Sniper 1866
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX960 Windforce
Power Supply XFX PRO650W XXX Ed.
Leave GPU-Z logging while playing/stressing so we can see how the GPU behaves pre/after this. Then attach the logs

schmoul

I tried yesterday to do a simple system restore from a restore point a couple days before the issue showed up, and I think it worked. I really don't know what program caused this though, because I didn't install anything special in that period of time. Is it possible that a windows update did this ?

Anyway, thanks for your help !