1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gtx titan or gtx 680 directcu ii top?

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by concernedgamer, Feb 22, 2013.

1. concernedgamer New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm new here guys, but not new to pc gaming. I also work with 3D modeling/animating among a few other things. I'm having a REALLY hard time trying to figure out which one to get. It's income tax season and I'm willing to spend $1k total on a graphics card or two and not have to upgrade for another 2-3 years, depending on how demanding games become. I've read SO MANY benchmark forums/articles etc. and the performance per dollar does not deter me from the GTX TITAN. I have an EVGA GTX 580 and game on both my Asus VH238H Black 23" monitor and SONY HX800 240hz 3DLEDTV. The ASUS GTX 680 TOP card was my initial choice until they announced the TITAN and saw benchmarks. My problem is that the GTX 680 TOP card does not come with 4gb. 2x 680's beat out the 690, but an overclocked TITAN can match the 690 as well. I'm not interested in getting an AMD card. I know all about them. Just want all the bells and whistles Nvidia offers (not trying to upset anyone :mad:). With new generation of consoles, game developers WILL push pc graphics further, because multiplat consoles will be easier to develop on. Therefore have more time to polish and what not. There will be higher resolution textures like "Rage". (Better optimized hopefully). We've talked about this during my game animation classes. 2gb vram will not be enough. We are accelerating greatly in technology. And YES, this generation of consoles did hold back the advancement. I just want to know what you guys think. I really don't want to do SLI and be stuck at 2gb of vram after spending $1k. The TITAN is a 6gb card which is overkill x2, but that's why it cost $999. I will upgrade to a higher resolution monitor as well in the future. So should I go with GTX 680 DIRECTCU II TOP (MAYBE SLI), GTX 690, OR GTX TITAN?:banghead:

Specs:
    Asus VH238H Black 23"
    i7 2600k 4.8ghz
    ZALMAN CNPS9700
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.12
    ASUS 24X DVD Burner
    EVGA GeForce GTX 580 1536MB @ 885 / 2088mhz
    KINGWIN Mach 1 ABT-1000MA1S
    Antec Twelve Hundred V3
    CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB 1600
    ASUS P8P67 EVO (REV 3.0) LGA 1155
  2. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    If you are willing to spend $1000 then buy a Titan.. It will suit your needs for 2-3 years. You cannot buy a better single card.

It might also play well for the 3D modelling you do. The 680 is a castrated Titan.

So if you got the cash, go for broke. :toast:
    concernedgamer says thanks.
  3. jboydgolfer

jboydgolfer

Thanks Received:
    Titan +1
  4. concernedgamer New Member

Thanks Received:
  5. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    Welcome to TPU! :toast:
    Looks like you know which you should get ;) I just saw you list like 6 reasons why you should go with the Titan! If I did have money to spend, I'd likely go for the Titan because it's a Titan, beast card without any doubt, and you can brag to your friends that you're a proud owner of the world's fastest gpu FTW!
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  6. concernedgamer New Member

Thanks Received:
    @manofthem
    I most definitely WILL strut..... with pictures! :rockout:
  7. Slizzo

Slizzo

Thanks Received:
    I know someone that is looking to upgrade from a GTX680 to a Titan for many of the reasons you list. He's a character artist at Treyarch and needs the extra compute to help him get work done while at home faster. Makes absolute sense for him on his 30" panel and using pro-apps to do model and texture work. Also being a beast at gaming is the cherry on top for him.
  8. concernedgamer New Member

Thanks Received:
    @Slizzo
    Yea that's what I was thinking about as well. My 580 is descent, but working with 3ds max and some maya really takes a toll. Nor can I max out the latest games like I want. I hate when far cry 3 turns from day to night. I max out what I can while keeping 60fps during the day, but then turn some of that eye candy down during night.:shadedshu I've been waiting for something like this. I only felt the 680 was a small step up from 580, but was willing to settle with the asus top edition..... until this bad boy was announced.
  9. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    It sounds like you're not short of money, so I'd say get the titan. Yes, it's somewhat slower than a 690, but run these in 3 and 4 way sli and they're the fastest money can buy.

Also, if you get just the one card now, most likely you'll see a significant price drop by the time you buy more of them.
  10. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I say go for the Titan as well if money is not an issue.
    Don't know how easy it will be to get one though...
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. Anusha

Anusha

Thanks Received:
    Get the Titan but upgrade that monitor as well. That small monitor would be the reason not to get a Titan.
  12. Slizzo

Slizzo

Thanks Received:
    I agree. If you're doing that work professionally, you should be on at least a 1440p monitor I would say.

If you want to save money on a 1440p monitor, then get one of the Korean panels from ebay.
  13. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    I vote for GTX690 better performance then a Titan for basically the same price.
  14. Slizzo

Slizzo

Thanks Received:
    It's terribly weak on compute performance; and I think he'd probably be better served with the one GPU as you can't use SLI in the apps he's referencing I don't believe.
  15. Anusha

Anusha

Thanks Received:
    Not to mention that when he buys a new monitor, that 2GB frame buffer will do no good.
  16. concernedgamer New Member

Thanks Received:
    I thought long and hard about that, but with the applications i'm working with will make that card obsolete. Though I am a HUGE gamer, I will need more than 2gb on a 1440p monitor I plan to get later. But I understand your point about the 690. I can always overclock the TITAN if need be. Let's not forget the maturity of nvidia's drivers for this card as well. I'm pretty sure as soon as they work out the bugs, it'll show it's true colors
    Melvis says thanks.
  17. concernedgamer New Member

Thanks Received:
    Does anyone here have a 1440p monitor? I've never had the pleasure of laying eyes on that resolution before. I've only seen 1200p. How much do they normally cost? Or should I ask, what are some good brands that I should look at and what's a decent price for them?
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  18. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    I got one for $300 from Korea, a Shimian Achieva QH270-Lite (27"2560.1440), and it's just terrific. I hooked my old 27" 1920.1080 monitor next to it, and there's NO COMPARISON at all in all aspects!

They may cost a little more now (Korean ones from eBay), but 2560.1440 is so great!!!
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  19. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If you have the money I would suggest a 2560x1600.
    Granted they are quite a bit more...
    Crunching for Team TPU
  20. concernedgamer New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'll get on my research now. Appreciate the info very much guys, THANKS! I'm going with the TITAN. Been saving up since June
    qubit says thanks.
  21. chinmi

Thanks Received:
    get the titan, and start saving up again, probably a "titan" killer gpu is coming next year :)
  22. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    That's awesome and make sure you bring us some pics and benchies! :toast:

This here member is gonna be green with envy. :D
  23. Animalpak

Animalpak

Thanks Received:
    titan man, solid and high performance that last longer.
  24. concernedgamer New Member

Thanks Received:
    You all have been very helpful in my decision making so I'll be sure to update you guys with some benchmarks and pics. :toast: I've been envious of the people that could run Witcher 2 with ubersampling on.:twitch: Now I'll be able to do it with one card...

BTW, These are the 2 monitors I have been looking at so far along with the Shimian Achieva QH270-Lite (27"2560.1440).

ASUS PB Series PB278Q 27" 5ms (GTG) WQHD HDMI Wide...
    Dell UltraSharp U2713HM Black & Silver 27" 8ms (GT...

Which one would you guys prefer? :confused:
    qubit says thanks.
  25. fusionblu

fusionblu

Thanks Received:
    Titan is what you want as that would be much more better than any GTX 680 or two GTX 680s for game animation programming or video editing due to the amount of RAM and also because unlike many premium level graphics cards before the Titan has features that are usually only found in the computing class of graphics cards which generally costs £2k and above to buy.

The main problem overall with the 680 for what you want is that they are made for consumers who generally do gaming, watch high resolution movies or the occasional video editing; where as the Titan is more than capable of doing what you have in mind, it should be easy to sell should you need to replace within at least 2 years (not guaranteed, but very likely) and it will probably be able to last for more like a solid 4 years opposed to 2-3 years which you have in mind (or it would for gaming at least).