1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GTX Titan Owners

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by the54thvoid, Mar 7, 2013.

1. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    This isn't a club house. It's to discuss the clocking/throttling (non-issue) and other Titan related info that might help those stupid bastards that bought one to get more out of it. :laugh:

Column 1
    0 Proud Owners of Titans
    1 the54thvoid
    2 m6tzg6r
    3 radrok
    4 15th Warlock
    5 MetalRacer
    6 fusionblu
    7 bpgt64
    8 GC_PaNzerFIN
    9 xorbe
    10 tastegw
    11 khemist
    12 Siriusly

I've just installed mine (on air - block hasn't arrived yet - bloody Slovenian company) and I can say I'm pretty happy. I've run Heaven 3.0, 3DMark (2013 version) and played some BF3 and TR.

My fps in BF3 are capped by a config at 65 so I've noticed no issue there.
    Heaven ran fine (1920x1080, Tess = moderate, 8xAF, no AA), got 51.1 - 215.7 (average 111.5)
    With my previous crossfire set up (as above) I got 63.5 -373.0 (average 199.6).
    Clocks on Titan were about 1000 (boost) and on the 7970's I used 1150?

So BF3 and Heaven showed no benefit, obviously.

However, Tomb Raider ran just as smooth (2560x1440) Ultra, everything on (inc TressFX) except AA. FPS were markedly lower but visually played as well as crossfire. If this is poorly optimised for Nvidia, I cant wait to see how it flies when it's fixed.

Biggest noticeable change? 3DMark. Lower scores but the final Firestrike mixed test on crossfire was very choppy. To the point I put it down to it being such a tough test. But on the Titan it was the same slow mo speed but absolutely fluid. :)

I've not really played with clocks too much as it hits 79 degrees and clocks drop. I'll wait for my water block before pushing things a bit higher - hoping for 1100 steady boost (maybe 10% performance).

I may also hold off on the block until the back plates are released as well. The back needs love too!

The water cooling wont be for noise benefit because it is genuinely a beautifully quiet card.

Worth the money? - Not a flippin' chance but if you want to spend the money, it is worth it.

The old boys. One was bought custom cooled (Powercolor LCS) the other was fully customised by me (block, backplate, single slot i/o)

[​IMG]

The new soul. Needs to take that jacket off for something more watery.

[​IMG]

Closer...

[​IMG]
    Last edited: May 9, 2013
  2. Animalpak

Animalpak

Thanks Received:
    Congrats on your purchase, i think for your resolution (2560x1440) you should buy the 690.

That is a beast of resolution and not always easy to handle, will see wich numbers you get with the upcoming Metro Last Light.

But the Titan is fine and are ready to rumble in your hands !
  3. Jack1n

Thanks Received:
    Quite the side grade...
  4. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    That sums it up. It is way out of my league but I'm following closely any first hand accounts of what this card is capable of. New tech is always exciting even if you just read about it and stare at beautiful pictures!
    d1nky and Jetster say thanks.
  5. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I would call it an upgrade. Maybe just 15% slower than HD 7970 GE CrossFire, but close to half the power draw. Extra ale with the power bill savings.
    mjkmike says thanks.
  6. LDNL

LDNL

Thanks Received:
    This will be a short thread :laugh:

E: Sorry about being so obvious but your the first guy that I know of that actually bought one
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
    the54thvoid says thanks.
  7. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    There's a handful of us! I think the Titan owners should state their occupations (Lawyer, President, Professional Elf*)

But seriously, how many folk have sli or crossfire? My watercooled 7970's with blocks etc (not inc res/rad/pump/fittings etc) cost me £940. I did that for 'peace and quiet' because 7970's are abysmally loud.

I've bought a card for £828 (no w/c yet...) that is as quiet as a 480 rad with 4 'quiet' fans on it. It's all a matter of perspective.

* Old D&D joke when you could be a human thief, warrior, cleric etc or an elf - and that was it. A professional elf.
  8. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    "Rich mens owners club"
    Lionheart says thanks.
  9. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    I drive a 7 year old Susuki Swift and my wife to be drives a 11 year old Ford Ka. Rich I am not, at least in contemporary Western eyes. Able to save money, yes. So i buy what I want to when i can afford it. And I have money still set aside for other things.

Let's try not to make this thread about money and talk about the tech?
    mjkmike, Slizzo and EzioAs say thanks.
  10. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    Nice card, man. Can't wait to see it when you get the block on it.
  11. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Since the titan is brand new, it wouldn't surprise me if later revisions of the driver significantly improve performance. :)

Yes, I'm green with envy, you sod! :laugh:
  12. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    Even better, just been on EKWB and ordered a backplate for it. :)

My clocks ramp up to 1045 (using a piddly offset of 61) but it will downcock to 1019 at 79 degrees. If it wobbles at 80 for too long it drops to 990 ish. It even dropped as low as 940ish. But, that was looping Heaven at maximum settings. Quite happy i know its not going to fry.

A lot of folk at Overclock.net have been complaining about it throttling but it's what the architecture does. I knew that when i bought it so it's all to be expected. I figure under water it will simply keep at boost clock all the time, as long as I don't tamper with the 'auto' fan setting. Some people report when they manually alter the fan speeds it can throttle.
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  13. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Thats a 12yrs younger then my car :laugh: but fair enough. If its your only hobby and you save for it, then thats cool.
  14. m6tzg6r New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have two titans sitting next to me, but havnt assembled the actual pc yet, so im just waiting to test them out, @2560x1440.
  15. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    I predict they'll fly. :D
  16. BigMack70

Thanks Received:
    I just got my tax return and man... I really want a pair of Titans... but that $2k asking price is just too crazy. I'll wait for the 780/8970 round of cards to see how things pan out there.

Strange to hear about your noise issues needing water to solve... 7970s can be silent even in CF on air - just not when OC'd to the max (my Lightnings can run silently at 1050/1800 but they are very loud at 1200/1800).
  17. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    You'll have to give me some time to post some scores since my first card has gone into my office rig.

This card has been proven to be a steal for who works with DP/CUDA software.

I have a Zotac on my way should be here in 3-4 days ;)
  18. Jack1n

Thanks Received:
    Its sure as hell not only 15% slower and it sure as hell not 1000$ worth of power savings.
  19. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    Maybe to some people silk smooth gaming given by a powerful single GPU is worth the price tag?

Why'd you come to argue in here about the Titan price if there is a poll with a related thread on front page?

I can understand this GPU is overpriced but atleast give us some rest on this thread.

Please.
    Slizzo and the54thvoid say thanks.
  20. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    Pretty sure the OP mentions talking about performance etc. If you want to piss on my thread with a pointless statement, please take your irrelevance elsewhere.

And one last time - Yes they are overpriced compared to the current line up so get over it.

I'm already seeing benefits. I'm happy. :nutkick:
  21. BigMack70

Thanks Received:
    How does it handle 1440p crysis 3?
  22. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
  23. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Anymore talk about how over priced the titan is in this thread, will result in an infraction. People that are in this club house already own the card, and don't need to be told how it's over priced.
    Aquinus, mjkmike, Slizzo and 4 others say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  24. BigMack70

Thanks Received:
    Yes I have read all the Titan reviews; I was curious to hear OP's experience (if he has the game) since he was commenting on how things felt more generally compared to 7970 CF.
  25. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    I've uninstalled it after finishing it on my 7970's. I'll go back to the game but I'll have to work through Tomb Raider, then probably Bioshock Infinite. I'd also be playing Metro Last Light if it hadn't been pushed back to May.

But I can definitely say, been playing Tomb Raider and it's just as smooth, or moreso, than the crossfire set up. Crysis 3 was smooth on my crossfire too but unfortunately when I get round to playing that with Titan, i wont be able to compare.

I am very happy with this card. Having had a gpu under water for over a year and having a 580 Lightning prior to that, I am genuinely 'big happy grinning face' about the noise. No buzzing (not even on Heaven's quit screen) and at 80 degrees the fan stays whisper quiet. Don't get me wrong - I can hear the fan but it's 'gentle'.

If it wasn't to keep it cooler to maintain boost clocks, I'd not even bother with water cooling for this but I figure my boost will be rock solid once the temps are controlled.