1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GTX Titan Owners

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by the54thvoid, Mar 7, 2013.

1. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    Which brand have you bought, void?

You make me regret moving it to my office :p

2. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    The Asus version.

Missing something though. The GPU tweak utility doesn't seem to have a temperature preference. It's not an issue if it doesn't - like i say, under water the temperature wont be an problem (not that it is a problem now).

3. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    Use afterburner, I've never had a hold of GPU tweak.

The card is amazingly silent even when the fan is over 50% though, you can feel it's well built.

EDIT: I wanted to purchase MSI but I couldn't find it anywhere.

4. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    Hmm.

First graphic problem. I got the vector triangles of death during some extended Tomb Raider. Some folk will recognise the issue - it's like a pattern of jagged triangles all emanating from the centre of the screen.

The memory chips were very hot to touch. My case is open just now though and there is enough air going around.

Going to go back in and run again at stock (was only using +60 offset before).

Lets hope this isn't an RMA... :ohwell:

Yup, happened again after a few minutes once the card had reached 80 degrees. For some hair brained idea i pressed "CTRL-Print Screen" (to try grab a screenie - i know it doesn't work that way) and the triangles disappeared. Can anybody explain that? Makes it seem like a memory issue or something driver based. The temps weren't altered...

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  5. Finners

Thanks Received:
    uh oh! those triangles are normally RAM chips like you say, i know you have really slow fans so could you ghetto mod a fan just to blow over the back of the card to see if it stops it

6. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    Just ran 3dMark11 and got a very weird result. 13191

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/6133253

No glitches. I also had a windows memory error during Tomb Raider - so i think it's game related - not card.

I'm off tomorrow so I'll extensively game i the morning to see what happens...

Need an extended BF3 session. :)

7. Finners

Thanks Received:
    i might be home at 1 tomorrow, so might jump on for an extended bf3 session with you lol.

Have you tried looping heaven or the valley benchmark? pretty good for finding any sort of instability

8. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    Could be a plan. I ran a few benchies for 20-30 minutes after the glitch and the same temps without any issues. I'll put it down to a memory error, as opposed to a hardware fault. Nvidia have said the code is wrong and their cards struggle when max settings are used. They will work on a driver fix but the game also needs patched from the developers end. Given that info and the windows memory warning - safe bet it was software, not hardware.

9. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    you said earlier that two 7970's performed better, well in tests. but would you say that two 7950's or 50/70 would perform the same or better?

10. 15th Warlock

15th Warlock

Thanks Received:
    Nice to hear you got your card, hope those errors you got on TR were just a glitch, do you get any errors on other games or 3d apps?

That particular game has issues with nVidia cards, in my case, if I enable the tressfx thing Lara's hair looks all brown, like it's not textured, but I haven't experienced the error you mention.

BTW, thanks for your reply on the WC, just ordered the two EK blocks, and will slowly go from there, hope you can help me, you have a killer build there.

11. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    HammerON says thanks.
  12. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    That is a nice looking block:toast:

radrok says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    yeah and it comes without crop circles and flaking ;)

14. HammerON

Thanks Received:
    A little "dig" on EK eh?:)

But this EK block looks pretty nice:
    [​IMG]

May still induce flaking....

Crunching for Team TPU
  15. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    I'm glad they reverted it back, it was so silly, they still have a lot to overcome to get back trust from customers though.

16. HammerON

Thanks Received:
    Let's see if they still have issues with their Nickel plating....

Crunching for Team TPU
  17. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    I've had no issues with EK. I didn't even mind the circles. That being said, I don't see the need for buying nickel plated copper blocks, just for the aesthetic. My block (on delivery) is plain acetal/copper.

18. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I agree about nickel and if you REALLY want nickel plated blocks then go with Watercool or Koolance.

19. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    Just ran a 20 minute run on Valley (heard elsewhere it gives some cards a hard time). Used the Extreme HD preset. I've set my card at default and it keeps a steady boost at 980MHz (like i say - no overclocking at all, no offset adjustments).

Score was 2482 (Min 28.6, Max 108.4 Ave 59.3). Strangely, that gave me a higher score than I got using the offset of +60 core.

For reference my crossfire config (at 1.1GHz core, 1575/6200 memory) scored 3228 with 32.2/132.5/77.1 (30% higher than Titan)

EDIT: just checked my waterblock delivery. Since 2pm yesterday (it's only 9.45am here today) it's went through Slovenia, Austria, Germany, England and now in Scotland. Now that's express!

20. DOM

DOM

Thanks Received:
    do you set your fan speed ?

21. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    No. A lot of guys at overclock.net are having issues with throttling when fan speeds are being adjusted. The drivers are far too immature for overclocking i think. And the underlying architecture isn't OC friendly.

From what my card is doing it looks like it will boost quite high with an offset but the temps are taking it back down. My case is set for water so i don't have any significant powerful airflow across the card. The best i have is coming through my CPU radiator so after a while the air is warm.
    I've angled a rear 90mm intake fan to blow over the memory chips but even that is low rpm.

Played 1/2 hour of TR with no ill effects though, temps pegged at 79/80, clock at 950-980 ish (again, stock boost).

Despite what NV have said - this is NOT an overclocker friendly card. Unless you like BIOS hacks and hard modding, the 7970's still give the best overclocking. BUT, this card is very powerful, even at stock.

22. DOM

DOM

Thanks Received:
    yeah thats what i been hearing that its better to leave the fan on auto

has anyone put one of these cards under water already ?

23. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    My block is arriving today but I want to run the card a day or so more to see if i get anymore graphical issues as i did last night in TR. I've also got a backplate coming so that will help cool the toasty ram chips on the back.

I know for sure the boost will stay high under water. Whether it'll over clock based on a few extra milli-volts, i don't think so. That being said, the guys at overclock say water adds about 100MHz.

24. Live OR Die

Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    I maxed crysis 3 on 1440p with 2 GTX 680s so and seeing that a Titan is a bit slower shouldn't of had any problems.

25. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    whats your Origin name? my 680s need a run of BF3 too :p