1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GTX260 core 216 sli'd w/ 1st gen Gtx260 problem?

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by chezouff, Jan 20, 2009.

1. chezouff New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys, i have a GTX260 i got a great deal on through step ups. No more step up for me though and i like the GTX260 core216 55mm i can get an EVGA one for $220 right now. If i do get it and sli them on an nforce equipped board what problems do you think i might have?

Ive heard when you sli cards that are similar but one with more features those features are lost. but ive been thinking when you sli you dont get a perfect 100% extra performance which makes me think the 2nd card is used less anyways.

i dont know

2. spearman914

spearman914 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Also they have different clocks so the faster one downclocks to the slower one, i suggest u just buy another 260 192 so u don't waste money.

3. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    IIRC, SLI basically mirrors the weaker card, so both would effectively run at the speed of the original 192 core one.

4. wolf

wolf Performance Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    im sure someone on TPU has done just that and seen good results, but yeah your always limited to the weaker card, ie lowest clocks and lowest shader count.

5. chezouff New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok but will it follow the lower spec card on everything? I know you can point to the clock and shader pipelines or whatever theyre called but their are new features constantly being developed and pushed. Do you know if all those features are cut down to the lowest cards setting?

I thought you might need similar cards because each card technically draws half the scene so even if it was faster the card would still need to wait for the 2nd card to finish up. But couldnt things go beyond that? They have already with the ability to offload the physX calculations to any physX based GPU you have lying around. Arent the more features besides physX that another cheaper card could dedicate itself to to free up your best card for the big load?

6. zithe

zithe

Thanks Received:
    In SLI, the 216 will just not use the extra shaders and downclock a bit, I think.