1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GTX460 die size?

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by miloshs, Aug 21, 2010.

1. miloshs

miloshs New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys, im in the middle of modding my Accelero S1 rev2 to fit on my new GTX460 and since the base of the mentioned cooler is smaller than GTX460's IHS i was just wondering if anyone has any info on how big is the actuall GF104 die?
    I read something like 24,9mm x 14,7mm, could this be true?

The base of Accelero is 31mm x 31mm and i was just wondering is it safe to mount it on the IHS that is a bit larger than the heatsink base (keeping in mind that the actuall die is smaller that IHS)?

2. largon

largon

Thanks Received:
    Shorely, someone must've popped a GF104 already?
    Anyways, with the IHS there in between, it's perfectly safe to mount a cooler smaller than the IHS.

wolf says thanks.
  3. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
  4. largon

largon

Thanks Received:
    Ack!
    Copper shavings everywhere!

Wondering why they didn't just pry it off...

5. miloshs

miloshs New Member

Thanks Received:
    It sure does look like its as ive read 24,9 x 14,7 comes to about 367mm^2....

Anyhow i did slap Accelero onto my GF104, and tbh i think i had too little OCZ freeze around, and ill have to reseat it once i get some more...

So far i have it at 860/2000mhz at default voltage (which is a bit high at 1.050V) going for 80-ish oC. Thats compared to stock heatsink which had it at 82oC at 700/1800mhz (also 1.050V). Tried going for 900mhz core but display driver freaked out, and now im going up in small numbers from 860mhz... This is with 120mm CM LED fan blowing 35CFM.

Once i get some more OCZ freez ill reseat the heatsink and slap on my Silverstone FM121B with adjustable fan speed which can go up to 110CFM and see how it will perform then. I think i had too little and too dried out thermal paste to begin with, but we'll see that pretty soon (its monday tommorow, shops open :D)

A little screenie, and some photos in attachment(couldnt be bothered to take out my SLR so it camera phone photos)...

On with the testing.... :rockout:

Attached Files:

OnBoard says thanks.