1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GTX465 SLI on HP Z800

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by serratedauto, Jul 19, 2012.

1. serratedauto

Thanks Received:
    Hi guys,

I'm new here and I'm having a problem getting SLI enabled on my Z800. I have 2 GTX465 cards and they are recognized by the computer, however, when I boot up and open the nvidia control panel the option to enable SLI is not available. The SLI bridge is installed.

Is there anything special I need to do to get SLI working? I've tried removing and reinstalling the drivers and nvidia software and it didn't seem to help.

Thanks!
  2. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    Are the cards placed in PCIe x16 x16 or at least in x16 x8?
  3. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    Are they "matching" cards. I know another user on another forum had issues getting SLI going on 2 580's with different RAM amounts(1.5 and 3GB) He ended up having to use this to get his SLI working.
    Not saying that is the problem but need a little more info.
  4. mastrdrver

mastrdrver

Thanks Received:
    What chipset does that board us?

I find the Z800 on the HP site, but it lists it as a workstation setup. If it has a higher end Intel chipset, then that maybe why SLI is not working.
  5. serratedauto

Thanks Received:
    Yes, the cards are placed in the two PCIe x16 slots. For the most part they are matching - the cards are from different manufacturers but they have the same RAM amount (and from what I've read on the nvidia SLI FAQ site, running different manufacturers of the same model should be okay...). The Z800 uses the Intel 5520 chipset.

I know this computer supports SLI because they've been advertising this machine running quadros in SLI, so I would think running a pair of geforces in SLI shouldn't be a problem...
  6. mastrdrver

mastrdrver

Thanks Received:
    Just because it can run Quadros in SLI doesn't mean that the driver will support GeForce cards running in SLI. The driver does a check with the bios to see if the board manufacturer paid the SLI premium.

I don't know if it differentiates from Quadro to Geforce cards though.
  7. serratedauto

Thanks Received:
    are you talking the nvidia driver or a chipset driver?
  8. mastrdrver

mastrdrver

Thanks Received:
    The nVidia driver looks to make sure the board is on the approved SLI list. If it is not, then SLI is not allowed. There is some check that is added in the BIOS and that is what the driver checks for.

Like I said, HP may have paid for SLI on Quadro cards, but that doesn't mean that the same fee pays for Geforce cards. Though that is just speculation on my part.

Your best bet would be to contact HP and ask them is SLI with GeFroce cards are supported on this system.
  9. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    The 5520 doesn't support SLi with desktop card.

You can try it with HyperSLI, but I'm not sure if HyperSLI is still working, I haven't been keeping up on it lately.
    mastrdrver says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  10. Fatal1ty39

Thanks Received:

Attached Files:

11. NC37

NC37

Thanks Received:
    Check the SLI bridge? When I upgraded boards I had to use my old bridge because the one I got with the new board wouldn't work. Dunno why, brand new. Maybe it got fried or is a defective part. Not sure if its a common issue or not with the bridges.