1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GTX480 and physics

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by EnergyFX, Sep 3, 2010.

1. EnergyFX

EnergyFX New Member

Thanks Received:
    So... I have a pair fo GTX480s in SLI and I'm curious how much of a difference slipping in a low end gpu to dedicate for physics might make. For the record... yes I know I'm going overboard... but I love excess. I just wonder if there is so much power already in the system that adding a dedicated PPU would make no difference at all or perhaps cause a performance hit from putting physics computing on a different pcie channel.

If there is actually some decent performance to be gained here... what would be the best modern GPU to look at for dedicated PPU? Perhaps the new 420 coming out soon?

2. {JNT}Raptor

{JNT}Raptor New Member

Thanks Received:
    From the 2xx series up a section of the core is dedicated to physics If I'm correct.......so it wouldn't benefit you in the least seeing as how you have 2 beasts in there already.

You could always borrow a friends Nvidia GPU and test......but I don't think you'll see any performance increase though.

Hope it helps. :)

EnergyFX says thanks.
  3. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    That is already too much power. Any performance gain would require a GTX 260 or better and even then the gain would be very minor. If you are running your games with VSync, gains will simply be non-existent.

EnergyFX says thanks.
  4. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I've tested both Batman and Mafia, the two biggest PhysX games out right now, and with my GTX470 adding a dedicated PhysX card made absolutely no difference.

EnergyFX says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  5. EnergyFX

EnergyFX New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the eductation fellas! Exactly what I was looking for!