1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GTX680 in Asus Maximus V Gene only running PCI-E 2.0 @ x4

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by puma99dk|, Dec 19, 2012.

1. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    My GTX680 is sitting in the top PCI-Express x16 slot in my Asus Maximus V Gene but GPU-Z 0.6.6 is showing PCI-Express 2.0 x16 @ x4 2.0

[​IMG]

what's wrong here? i used med i5-2500k, 16gb memory and everything else from my Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z/Gen3 i had no problems in there :wtf:

and it's not "PCI-Express Link State Power Management" it's set to off in Windows 7 Ultimate SP1...

Attached Files:

2. Jack1n

Thanks Received:
    Do you have your sound card in the black 4x slot?

3. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    Yap,I also did that in my Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z/Gen3....

4. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If it is definitely in the top slot of the board, then i would recommend sifting through your BIOS for things disabled.

5. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    What to disabled? And in bios the Asus board says it runs native x4 :(

6. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
    try moving the card to a different slot, then back, i had an issue with my 7950 was reading similarly, and after doing that, it fixed itself

7. RCoon

Thanks Received:
    "SLI and Crossfire support is present and accounted for. The ASUS blurb below claims Quad-SLI and Quad Crossfire support. However, with only three PCI-e graphics slots, it’s only possible by using two dual GPU graphics cards, such as the GTX 690. A single graphics card will run at x16 speeds, two cards in SLI or Crossfire will run at x8/x8, and three cards will run at x8/x4/4."

try three things for me. put it in the second slot down(red) with the sound card still on. test.
    put it in top slot(red) and remove the sound card. test.
    put it in the second slot(red) down with the sound card removed. test.

8. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    now i have tired with my trusty old EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 640mb it didn't wanna run in the PCI_E_X16 slot 1 but it will in slot 2 but in slot 2 it will only run at x4 so i think i need to RMA the board :(

EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 640mb:
    [​IMG]

Tested with my Intel Pentium G860 in my Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z/Gen3:
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

9. RCoon

Thanks Received:
    RMA it, and cry at Asus support.

10. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    nah i talked with the store where it was bought, and i will ship it to them in january bcs it's closed between christmas and new year if i remember correctly ^^

11. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    There was a fix in BIOS 1101 for GTX680 cards. Perhaps give that a try?

Really weird that the other card is kinda borked as well though. :mad:

12. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    i dunno if "Fixed Nvidia GTX 680 hang when runing with UEFI driver." will fix windows issues but it worth a try i will also try putting in my Intel Pentium G860 to test with to see if that shows the same thing.

13. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    yes i think it's just bios update, it's happened with me with another asus mobo z68 and after lasted. bios update it's work as 16x.

14. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    bios update didn't work, so i guess i will test with my Intel Pentium G860 before RMA the board next month...

Bios shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

15. thestillwind New Member

Thanks Received:
    Forget this, didn't read carefully the manual

Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  16. UncleJoe New Member

Thanks Received:
    possible board damage

Hi, I have almost the exact same problem: GTX 680 runs at PCIE 3.0 x4 but on a Maximus VI Gene.

I've concluded the problem is because I chipped one of the surface mount components near the PCIe card edge. It seems to be the high pass capacitor. I found this by using a multimeter to probe the send receive links and noticed something strange about one link. It seems once a lane is broken, all the lanes above it can't be used either, causing it to be stuck at 4x :(

Note: the picture isn't from my bad GTX 680

Attached Files:

tux_topo says thanks.
  17. tux_topo New Member

Thanks Received:

I had the same problem with an 660TI wich doesnt had warranty, so resoldered the capacitor, and all get working fine again...

18. UncleJoe New Member

Thanks Received:
    Awesome, but that doesn't help me because I can't find the capacitor. Plus it seems the capacitor took part of PCB surface with it, meaning there's no metal trace to solder on to.

Did your capacitor come off with part of the PCB? Can you describe any tips for soldering these tiny surface mount components (e.g. what kind of tip and flux you used)?

Thanks

19. tux_topo New Member

Thanks Received:
    The capacitor was lost, but i take the replace one, from a broken 560ti... Previously i check the capacitance value...
    The soldering was made using a 100w pencil solder, with ceramic tip. The flux, is a standard one for electronics (sorry, no information about it, and it´s made in argentina, where i live :D).
    Tips?... well... a few parts of luck, good vision, and some pulse handing the solder... :D
    I usually glue the component in place, in the middle of it, with a fast cure compound (i use "La gotita"... again something available only in argentina ;)).
    If the metal trace is not there, you can try to follow the path, until some place to solder, and then extend the solder iron to there, if possible. Other option, is to scrap the surface of the trace to have a place where to solder, as close as possible, but was no success for me :cry:.

Hope that all of that helps you... Good luck!!

20. s1DDy

s1DDy

Thanks Received:
    I had the same prob on my RIVE and my RIVF did some detective work and found a fix for both those motherboards..

Problem isn't the mobo actually.., it's windows that keeps it at 2.0..

Dunno why but it has to do with windows and x79 based boards, didnt go to deep into it

i did some searching and ended up on the RoG forums where they posted a way to force 3.0 in windows using the file i attached you should be able to :p

Disable all Sli and overclocking done on ur rig before you use it extract it to the root of c: and run this file in a command prompt with admin rights you should see it add some register values..

then reboot reenable sli and such and ur done ;)

i think this works on ati and nvidia based systems, not sure :p

(link to the RoG forum post where i got this fle : http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?38956-Rampage-IV-Extreme-PCI-3.0&country=&status= )

S.

Attached Files: