1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Guild Wars 2 - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Games' started by xenocide, Feb 13, 2012.

1. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    So I have been reading a ton about GW2, and how it will revolutionize MMORPG's, and I'm curious what other people think. I have remained a harsh critic from the beginning, and have yet to see anything appealing in the game, but clearly it's there since the hype behind it is pretty massive. Thoughts?
  2. v12dock

v12dock

Thanks Received:
    Another swtor
  3. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    That's what I'm starting to think. They seem to be talking up the story a ton, and SWTOR proved that Story can work, but it got really annoying after a bit. Spacebarring through hours of dialogue to say the least.
  4. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Only thing I spacebar through is instances I have already ran. I'm not even sure what he means by another SWTOR? Seems he means it in a bad way, but I'm loving TOR, best leveling experience I have ever seen in an MMO. And if dialogue is too much, space bar it and just read your quest log like you would any other mindless MMO grind fest.

But my thoughts on GoW II is it didn't look that great. I didn't like the way the races looked, or the animations they had done, also didn't like the look of any abilities I had seen. Has some good concepts, but doesn't look appealing to me.
  5. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Even if its really bad at least its going to be quite cheap as MMO goes. I am looking forward to it, whether my computer can support it is another story.
  6. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    well....Im not sure, I really dig the pvp side of GW and when im not farming people for faction, Im buying elite armours, weapons and shields....

HOWEVER...BOTH my accounts got hacked. and NCsoft support really couldnt care less and in fact were rather rude towards me when i was trying to get my accounts unblocked and its all because of a blanket policy that labels every player as a potential botter/hacker/goldseller that they wont restore your account or at least compensate you even HALF or even a QUARTER of what you lost to get you back on the road because they think its your own fault for using warez to get oneup in the game.

Im extremely bitter about this, because I spent almost 7k hours in the game and had so many sets of elite armour and weapons on my accounts and for them to treat me like I was some prat that got burned trying out warez in the game is unacceptable.

I have all the campaigns (including 1 or 2 collectors edition games) on both accounts. you can get the entire GW pack on amazon for £15 but i bought mine seperately which means i must have spent £60 for all campaigns?? and they STILL wont compensate me!

And the stupid thing is.... RUNESCAPE --- It doesnt matter if your on the F2P version or the 'premium' for around £1.99 or something they will restore your entire account/inventory if you get hacked.

I was hacked over 8months ago, and im still seething through my teeth about it. you spend so much time grinding other players in PvP to earn eveything you have then they tell you to fuck off when you need help. its not as if I ASKED to be hacked.

So as much as i DO want to go GW2 Im not going to give them money if thats the way they are going to treat people who get hacked.
    I cant play a game that has me worrying constantly if the stuff ive spent all my time earning will be there the next time i login
  7. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    $50 for a lifetime membership? Sounds pretty good to me. Also I like the gameplay style, it looks very progressive for a MMO. Action based is definitely the way to go, I'm tired of the WoW model.
  8. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    I loved GW so I will be playing GW2 for sure.

One of my GW accounts got hacked as well. This was back when the game had only been out for a few months. They restored everything for me. I can't complain about their customer service.

GW2 is going to be amazing.
  9. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    TERA is set to launch in the US soon, and it's action-based. My friend played it for 20 minutes before requesting a refund. Action-Based just doesn't seem to fit into the MMO formula for me. All the gameplay videos I see just seems to be them running around mashing 1 button a lot (Rogue, Warrior at least). The only thing action-oriented is they seem to jump back when the bosses are doing certain attacks.

Also, there's hardly a "WoW model", WoW based the entire game off how all other MMO's were functioning at the time--games like EQ and UO.
  10. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    Ah okay, Tera is like GoW actiony. GW2 isn't quite that action centric lol.

It's more of a skillshots/dodge skillshots type of actiony.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
  11. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    $50 for lifetime membership with micro transactions limited to cosmetics / stash capacity / character slot. Probly the best bussiness model for an mmo yet.
  12. Wyverex

Wyverex

Thanks Received:
    I've been following GW2 for a long time now and I must say that it looks like they are really doing a good job of making things different and exciting and fun.

SW:ToR was never ment to be revolutionary mechanics-wise, just to have great and interactive story telling.
    GW2 on the other hand is looking to be different from ground-up.

From GW2 FAQ:
    What are the system requirements for Guild Wars 2?

The system requirements haven't been finalized, but just as with the original Guild Wars series, we're committed to creating a beautiful game that will play great on mid-range gaming PCs.

@FreedomEclipse: I am sorry to hear about what happened to you. :(
    A friend of mine got hacked, reported that the same day and they restored everything for him.

totally hyped GW2 fanboi over and out :D
  13. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    My computer is not mid ranged, and while the minimum is fine when you are raiding, go into towns where people show off and I will be getting 0.2fps.
  14. Wyverex

Wyverex

Thanks Received:
    I guess we'll just have to wait and see. :) Also, there will be no raiding in GW2 :p Only 5-men dungeons, but no massive raids.
  15. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    I am fine with that, my friend count barely exceed the number of fingers I have :eek:
  16. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    I just am now learning about that. I am a huge fan of raid content, and with only 5-mans I'm not sure how I could play the game. I watched this video where someone tries to justify it, but I could easily refute every point;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icOI9UA-W9s

I also don't like the homogenized approach to classes. I understand they wanted to do something different, but the reason the "holy trinity" has existed in MMO's, hell, in all RPG's since they began, is because IT WORKS. Making all classes more versatile is a lot less rewarding for most people than having most classes specialized. There are a lot of people that actually like Healing (I actually quite enjoy it) or like Tanking. Removing these things from the games removes certain players niche if you will.
  17. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    Healing and Tanking are great until you spend an hour in the LFG channel looking for one ;D
  18. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    I agree, but I still enjoy the system. Giving everyone access to everything just isn't fun to me. I like filling a niche that others can't support always. Giving some ability to heal while DPS (but not that great of heals) or to OT for a short time I find is the perfect balance. Allows you to mix it up and fill in if someone in your group is slacking, but doesn't replace your main class for that role. I enjoy hybrids very much.
  19. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    I like hybrids too, it allows you to be useful in any situation. Unfortunately, it also demands extra amount of attention and skill, and the end result isn't always better for the team.
  20. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    Hybrids usually have that main role I was talking about. So if your group isn't bad, you just stick to that, if they are bad and you have to spot in then you wipe anyways and they yell, then it's time to do some skull cracking and set them straight. But as a hybrid many a times have I been able to get my group through things that we probably should have wiped on, thats always enjoyable.
  21. catnipkiller

catnipkiller

Thanks Received:
    I will be playing this game or tear online depending on world pvp.
  22. Wyverex

Wyverex

Thanks Received:
    Dungeons will be limited to 5-men groups, but world PvE content is not limited in numbers and it has been confirmed that World Events scale well beyond 100 players.

But yes, I can see why someone would want a big dungeon. Let us hope that what GW2 has to offer will be enough for those that really enjoy raiding.

Let me guess, your first MMO was WoW?
    Anyone played Ultima Online? One of the first MMOs, if not *the* first, and it did not have the "holy trinity"

The holy trinity + the carrot on the stick are the main reasons I couldn't stand WoW (well, childish graphics too :D.
    But to each his own, not everyone is the same. And I most definitely should not bash people for their opinions, so I am sorry if I offended anyone (especially xenocide, as him I quoted)

GW2 will not have the usual open world PvP where you can gank other players. From what I gather, GW2 is being made so that every other player you meet in the world is your ally and can do nothing to ruin your game or grief you. If you both attack the same enemy, you both get loot and exp, no kill stealing etc.
    But, GW2 will have a 3-way server vs server vs server PvP thingie, so that might be of interest to you. (they call it World vs World vs World)
  23. Wyverex

Wyverex

Thanks Received:
    There was an invitational 3-day closed beta this weekend. NDA for it ended yesterday afternoon, so there are quite a few new videos etc to be seen.
    Yogscast guys did a 4-part series of Norn Starting Area, ~15 minutes each:
    part 1
    part 2
    part 3
    part 4
  24. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received: